Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smoke alarm

1. Jan 31, 2010 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Nooooo!!! The battery in the one in my bedroom must be getting low because it has started making a very loud chirp ever couple of minutes and there is no smoke. OMG, if this continues, how do I take it apart? I see a button in the middle of it, will that kill it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2010 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Good God Evo, ever heard of a hammer?

4. Jan 31, 2010 #3

Evo

I'm about 2 minutes away from a hammer.

5. Jan 31, 2010 #4

Evo

Can I take it apart without risk of setting it off?

AAARRRGGGHH< I can't take it much longer.

ANSWER ME!!!!

6. Jan 31, 2010 #5
    it should just twist off... the button in the middle will make it beep that's how you test it :tongue: there should be two parts a base attached to the wall and a cover. You just twist the cover and it should be easily removed from the base :smile:

7. Jan 31, 2010 #6

Evo

Ok, I have untwisted it, can I unplug it without setting it off?

It's tied into the electricity, it's not battery operated. Which makes me wonder why the apartment complex says they do regular battery checks.

8. Jan 31, 2010 #7

edward

Gold Member

The detectors that use household electricity still have a backup battery. It will still chirp when the battery is low.

9. Jan 31, 2010 #8

Evo

Can I unplug the sucker?

10. Jan 31, 2010 #9
    Turn off the breaker to be safe and then unplug it.

11. Jan 31, 2010 #10

edward

Gold Member

If you can see the back up battery it will also have to be removed because it will still chirp until it is completely dead.

Some of the detectors even have a capacitor that will keep it chirping for a few hours after being disconnected. If that happens get the hammer.

12. Jan 31, 2010 #11
    If it's connected to your homes electricity and theres no visible battery (the battery should be immediately visible when you take the cover off) then I would just call who ever is responsible for it. Landlord, supervisor whom ever.

13. Jan 31, 2010 #12

Evo

I can't see a battery.

I guess I'm sleeping in the living room tonight. :frown:

14. Jan 31, 2010 #13
    Have you unplugged it?

Put it in the freezer. They are pretty sound proof and it should freeze her nice and good.

15. Jan 31, 2010 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yes, the button in the centre. Press it and hold it for 3 minutes. It will turn off. :biggrin:

16. Jan 31, 2010 #15
    Oh man a neighbor came over not even a week ago and all her alarms were going off because she hit one with a broom that was chirping. I had to hard reset it through the alarm system box that as located in the master bedroom.

If chirping persists and you really want to stop it, you can unplug the signal wire which is normally white and pigtailed. If you attempt this make sure to turn off the breaker on that part of the house.

17. Feb 1, 2010 #16
    I'm taking notes. Just in case. You never know.

18. Feb 1, 2010 #17

Dembadon

Gold Member

:bugeye:

No, no, no, no, absolutely not! LOL! Hopefully she didn't do that, ya big meanie.

19. Feb 1, 2010 #18

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Evo, how did it go last night? I hope that you got some sleep last night. Did you get it turned off?

The battery is usually under another cover. Here's a picture of one. This model has a little tab that you have to push in to remove the cover where I marked it as "Disconnect here". As everyone said before, disconnect the power first - because of the battery, it can continue to chirp even after the power is disconnected. Once you push in the tab, give it a firm yank and the cover will come off. When you disconnect and reconnect the battery, it will often go off. It's normal but, can give you a scare if you're not expecting it. The battery is usually a 9 volt. Good luck.

IMG_4666.jpg

20. Feb 1, 2010 #19
    Best thing to do is light fire to your apartment. This is sure to bring expert help. I hope this information is still timely.

21. Feb 1, 2010 #20

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have the same type of smoke alarm in my flat. The last time the backup battery ran out I had the flu:eek: and it was in the middle of the night...
    My first problem was that there was no way obious to disconnect it compeletely, I did not want to remove the wires because the thing is wired into a central system and I was afraid that removing it would set off the OTHER smoke alarms (I have 3 of them in my flat).

Anyway, I managed to find a fresh battery and put that into the alarm. The thing was still beeping. After checking the instructions I realized that the thing actually contains some rather sensitive montoring circuitry, not only does it have to be the right type of battery but also the right brand (presumably it checks the EMF, which can be slightly different); there was a list of about 10 different brands...and it did not include any of the batteries I had at home.
    So the following morning I had to go out (still with a flu) and buy new batteries.

It DID, fortunately, stop beeping once I put the right battery in it...

Next time I'll just use a hammer...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook