1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smoke Rising

1. May 21, 2015 #1
    Hi all,
    I have what I believe is a simple physics question. I was burning a sprig of incense in my apartment, and noticed that the smoke was rising from the burning section perfectly straight up into the air for a good meter, and then started to dissipate into the air. I know that a gas will disperse into the air, but I was slightly puzzled because the smoke is a solid. My question is if there was a room with perfectly still air, would the smoke rise straight up all the way to the ceiling, or would it behave more like a gas and dissipate into the air regardless? Also, what properties would explain this?
    Thanks!
    CR

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2015 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

This is actually an interesting demonstration of laminar vs turbulent flow. Most fluid flow streams (the smoke is a fluid -- it's air and exhaust gases that you can see because of suspended ash particles in it) start of laminar (linear/coherent) and after a while transition to turbulent. The distance until transition is actually highly predictable and depends on velocity, size/length of the flow stream, and the properties of the fluid. It is also an important part of our understanding of how air behaves as it flows over a wing.

Here's more on the phenomena:
    http://profs.sci.univr.it/~zuccher/research/blstability/

Here's the number/equation that characterizes the behavior of a flow stream:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_number

4. May 21, 2015 #3
    Very interesting, thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook