Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smoke -- Which way is better?

1. Mar 23, 2015 #1
    I have a silly problem: I live in a block of flats, and my neighbours who live one floor below me, always complains that I smoke tobacco. So I would like to reduce amount of smoke that reaches them. I have two ways, please tell me which one would be more effective:
    • I smoke inside, with opened ventilation.
    • I smoke outside(in a balcony), but their windows are opened.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What about the win/win approach - quit smoking?

4. Mar 23, 2015 #3
    You know, alerts on packages tells the same, smokers know what they do and the risks, I just don't want to argue with neighbours.

5. Mar 23, 2015 #4

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm surprised your neighbours beneath you can smell anything from your balcony. Either way you smoking inside with a few windows open would be best.

6. Mar 23, 2015 #5
    Well I asked whether it is possible to smell smokes when you are beneath, people said that when smoke gets cold it goes down, that's how it happens. I'm not sure if it is true.

7. Mar 23, 2015 #6

Evo

My upstairs neighbors smoke and it kills me, and when the temperature outside is nice, I can't open my windows because all of their smoke is sucked into my place.

8. Mar 23, 2015 #7
    They smoke in a balcony?

9. Mar 23, 2015 #8

Evo

Yes.

10. Mar 23, 2015 #9
    So maybe smoking inside with opened windows would be the best solution

11. Mar 23, 2015 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Cigarette smoke is one of those things that non-smokers can detect in very minute amounts. No matter where you are, they will probably detect it. Best you can do is reduce it.

And because you're dealing with finicky air currents, you're going to find that it could behave completely differently from one building to the next, one direction to the next.

What you could do is try a few things for your own illumination. Ask them for feedback. Try it one way for a week, and ask them how bad it was. Try it another way for a week and ask again.

This may have the additional side-effect of showing to them that you're willing to adapt for the sake of their comfort.

12. Mar 23, 2015 #11
    Ok.
    It seems that you know how this thing works, so which way of these should be the best to try first? Or there is a third way?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook