Reducing Secondhand Smoke: Inside or Outside?

• Thread starter bagofbones
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Smoke
In summary: It seems that you know how this thing works, so which way of these should be the best to try first? Or there is a third way?The third way would be to try smoking outside with the windows closed, and see if that helps.
bagofbones
I have a silly problem: I live in a block of flats, and my neighbours who live one floor below me, always complains that I smoke tobacco. So I would like to reduce amount of smoke that reaches them. I have two ways, please tell me which one would be more effective:
• I smoke inside, with opened ventilation.
• I smoke outside(in a balcony), but their windows are opened.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about the win/win approach - quit smoking?

Likes Evo
You know, alerts on packages tells the same, smokers know what they do and the risks, I just don't want to argue with neighbours.

I'm surprised your neighbours beneath you can smell anything from your balcony. Either way you smoking inside with a few windows open would be best.

Ryan_m_b said:
I'm surprised your neighbours beneath you can smell anything from your balcony. Either way you smoking inside with a few windows open would be best.
Well I asked whether it is possible to smell smokes when you are beneath, people said that when smoke gets cold it goes down, that's how it happens. I'm not sure if it is true.

Ryan_m_b said:
My upstairs neighbors smoke and it kills me, and when the temperature outside is nice, I can't open my windows because all of their smoke is sucked into my place.

Likes gracy
Evo said:
My upstairs neighbors smoke and it kills me, and when the temperature outside is nice, I can't open my windows because all of their smoke is sucked into my place.
They smoke in a balcony?

bagofbones said:
They smoke in a balcony?
Yes.

Evo said:
Yes.
So maybe smoking inside with opened windows would be the best solution

Cigarette smoke is one of those things that non-smokers can detect in very minute amounts. No matter where you are, they will probably detect it. Best you can do is reduce it.

And because you're dealing with finicky air currents, you're going to find that it could behave completely differently from one building to the next, one direction to the next.

What you could do is try a few things for your own illumination. Ask them for feedback. Try it one way for a week, and ask them how bad it was. Try it another way for a week and ask again.

This may have the additional side-effect of showing to them that you're willing to adapt for the sake of their comfort.

DaveC426913 said:
Cigarette smoke is one of those things that non-smokers can detect in very minute amounts. No matter where you are, they will probably detect it. Best you can do is reduce it.

And because you're dealing with finicky air currents, you're going to find that it could behave completely differently from one building to the next, one direction to the next.

What you could do is try a few things for your own illumination. Ask them for feedback. Try it one way for a week, and ask them how bad it was. Try it another way for a week and ask again.

This may have the additional side-effect of showing to them that you're willing to adapt for the sake of their comfort.
Ok.
It seems that you know how this thing works, so which way of these should be the best to try first? Or there is a third way?

1. What are the health risks associated with smoke?

Smoke contains harmful chemicals and particles that can irritate the lungs and respiratory system. Long-term exposure to smoke can lead to serious health issues such as lung cancer, heart disease, and respiratory infections.

2. Is secondhand smoke more dangerous than firsthand smoke?

Yes, secondhand smoke is considered to be more dangerous because it contains higher concentrations of harmful chemicals and particles. It can also affect non-smokers who are exposed to it, increasing their risk of developing health problems.

3. Which type of smoke is harder to detect?

It depends on the environment and the type of smoke. For example, cigarette smoke is typically easier to detect due to its strong smell, while smoke from wildfires may be harder to detect until it is very close.

4. Does smoke from different sources have different effects?

Yes, the type and amount of chemicals and particles in smoke can vary depending on the source. For example, smoke from tobacco products may contain different chemicals than smoke from burning wood or plastic.

5. What is the best way to protect oneself from smoke?

The best way to protect oneself from smoke is to avoid exposure to it as much as possible. This can include staying indoors and using air filters, wearing masks when outside, and avoiding areas with high levels of smoke.