My Mystery Smoke Filled Kitchen

In summary: At least this thread made me check... as I preheat the oven to stick in a quiche. Yum! (The kids will hate it :tongue2:)
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I was going to have baked potatoes for lunch so i put them in the oven on high, half an hour later the houses filled with smoke, it is still lingering now, what ever had spilled over in the oven previously must have burnt and burnt and burnt, strange as the last thing i baked did not cause any smoke.

Physics news on Phys.org
Obviously the automatic oven cleaning function failed - you might have to reset it by buying her flowers.

wolram said:
I was going to have baked potatoes for lunch so i put them in the oven on high, half an hour later the houses filled with smoke, it is still lingering now, what ever had spilled over in the oven previously must have burnt and burnt and burnt, strange as the last thing i baked did not cause any smoke.
Probably what ever spilled last time hadn't reached the smoking point yet. You don't have a fire alarm? Mine goes off with the slightest smoke, I always have to run and open all of the windows. I can't believe that the stove exhaust fan just sucks up the smoke and blows it into my face, it should vent outside. :uhh:

mgb_phys said:
Obviously the automatic oven cleaning function failed - you might have to reset it by buying her flowers.
Oh, baaaaad.

mgb_phys said:

Around here during the last few decades we have lost the automatic oven cleaning function. The last I heard it was "Quid pro quo". Bloody romans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Probably what ever spilled last time hadn't reached the smoking point yet. You don't have a fire alarm? Mine goes off with the slightest smoke, I always have to run and open all of the windows. I can't believe that the stove exhaust fan just sucks up the smoke and blows it into my face, it should vent outside. :uhh:

Oh, baaaaad.

I have a fire alarm but i took the battery out ,as the alarm went off every time i cooked any thing, i mean any thing, even frying bacon.

That has happened here, too Woolie. (The smoking oven thing) When we make baked beans, the oven temp is set very low, and if I spill some bean juice during the day when checking the beans or topping of the liquid so they won't dry out, I've got to clean up the juice after the oven cools. If I forget, the next time I use high heat to sear some meat, etc, SMOKE! I love the smell of baked beans, but not the smell of scorched bean juice.

At least it wasn't a smoking pan! WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY would someone EVER store pans or other things in the oven? I now have to check every time I preheat. My spouse is known to place things in there in a pinch. :grumpy:

At least this thread made me check... as I preheat the oven to stick in a quiche. Yum! (The kids will hate it :tongue2:)

physics girl phd said:
At least it wasn't a smoking pan! WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY would someone EVER store pans or other things in the oven? I now have to check every time I preheat. My spouse is known to place things in there in a pinch. :grumpy:

At least this thread made me check... as I preheat the oven to stick in a quiche. Yum! (The kids will hate it :tongue2:)
I rarely use the oven and don't have a lot of storage space, so I store a couple of the large roasting pans in the oven.

A few years ago, on the news, someone had part of their house blown off when they hid illegal fireworks in the oven, forgot about it, then someone turned the oven on...

:tongue2: Quiche? Did somebody say Quiche? Yay.

Good idea, I'll make one Sunday. Seems that I need to check for fireworks first.

I was a teen when we first moved to the Metro Detroit area. My Mom had the idea we might get robbed and thought she would keep her handbag in the oven. Bad idea.

hypatia said:
I was a teen when we first moved to the Metro Detroit area. My Mom had the idea we might get robbed and thought she would keep her handbag in the oven. Bad idea.

I think the value of the food i have destroyed in the oven, and the cost of oven cleaner outweighs my stash.

As for fireworks, i usually keep my explosions for outside or work, (touching wood).

physics girl phd said:

Poor kids, i used to feed mine to the dog, i could never get him to clean up the crumbs though.

1. What could be causing the smoke in my kitchen?

The most common cause of smoke in a kitchen is from cooking, particularly if the food is being cooked at high temperatures. Other possible causes could include a malfunctioning appliance, a grease fire, or burning food left unattended on the stove.

2. Is the smoke harmful to my health?

The type of smoke and its potential harm depends on the source. Smoke from cooking is generally not harmful, but smoke from a fire or a malfunctioning appliance can contain toxic fumes that can be dangerous to inhale. It is best to leave the area and ventilate the space if you suspect harmful smoke.

3. How can I quickly get rid of the smoke in my kitchen?

If the smoke is not harmful, the most effective way to get rid of it is to open windows and doors to ventilate the space. Turning on a fan or running the range hood can also help to disperse the smoke. If the smoke is harmful, it is important to evacuate the area and call for help.

4. What precautions should I take to prevent smoke in my kitchen?

To prevent smoke in your kitchen, always keep an eye on your cooking and avoid cooking at high temperatures. Regularly clean the stove and oven to prevent grease build-up, and make sure all appliances are in good working condition. It is also important to have a fire extinguisher on hand in case of emergencies.

5. Could the smoke be a sign of a more serious issue?

In some cases, smoke in the kitchen could be a sign of a more serious issue, such as a gas leak or an electrical problem. If you notice consistent smoke or a strange smell, it is important to have a professional inspect your kitchen to ensure everything is safe and in proper working order.