Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smoked potatoes

1. Nov 7, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I was going to have baked potatoes for lunch so i put them in the oven on high, half an hour later the houses filled with smoke, it is still lingering now, what ever had spilled over in the oven previously must have burnt and burnt and burnt, strange as the last thing i baked did not cause any smoke.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Obviously the automatic oven cleaning function failed - you might have to reset it by buying her flowers.

4. Nov 7, 2008 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Probably what ever spilled last time hadn't reached the smoking point yet. You don't have a fire alarm? Mine goes off with the slightest smoke, I always have to run and open all of the windows. I can't believe that the stove exhaust fan just sucks up the smoke and blows it into my face, it should vent outside. :uhh:

Oh, baaaaad.

5. Nov 7, 2008 #4
    Around here during the last few decades we have lost the automatic oven cleaning function. The last I heard it was "Quid pro quo". Bloody romans.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  6. Nov 7, 2008 #5

wolram

Gold Member

I have a fire alarm but i took the battery out ,as the alarm went off every time i cooked any thing, i mean any thing, even frying bacon.

7. Nov 7, 2008 #6

turbo

Gold Member

That has happened here, too Woolie. (The smoking oven thing) When we make baked beans, the oven temp is set very low, and if I spill some bean juice during the day when checking the beans or topping of the liquid so they won't dry out, I've got to clean up the juice after the oven cools. If I forget, the next time I use high heat to sear some meat, etc, SMOKE!!!! I love the smell of baked beans, but not the smell of scorched bean juice.

8. Nov 7, 2008 #7
    At least it wasn't a smoking pan! WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY would someone EVER store pans or other things in the oven? I now have to check every time I preheat. My spouse is known to place things in there in a pinch. :grumpy:

At least this thread made me check... as I preheat the oven to stick in a quiche. Yum! (The kids will hate it :tongue2:)

9. Nov 7, 2008 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I rarely use the oven and don't have a lot of storage space, so I store a couple of the large roasting pans in the oven.

A few years ago, on the news, someone had part of their house blown off when they hid illegal fireworks in the oven, forgot about it, then someone turned the oven on...

10. Nov 7, 2008 #9
    :tongue2: Quiche? Did somebody say Quiche? Yay.

Good idea, I'll make one Sunday. Seems that I need to check for fireworks first.

11. Nov 7, 2008 #10
    I was a teen when we first moved to the Metro Detroit area. My Mom had the idea we might get robbed and thought she would keep her handbag in the oven. Bad idea.

12. Nov 7, 2008 #11

wolram

Gold Member

I think the value of the food i have destroyed in the oven, and the cost of oven cleaner outweighs my stash.

As for fireworks, i usually keep my explosions for outside or work, (touching wood).

13. Nov 7, 2008 #12

wolram

Gold Member

Poor kids, i used to feed mine to the dog, i could never get him to clean up the crumbs though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?