Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smoking bans in your countries

1. Feb 20, 2007 #1

radou

Homework Helper

Well, as the title suggests, I'm interested if the ban of smoking rigorously arises in any form in your country, wherever you're from.

In my case, the most 'rigorous' thing that happened is that owners of bars and restaurants had to separate an area inside the bar/restaurant specially for smokers, which, of course, didn't work out in most places.

I support a complete ban of smoking in all public places. Concerns which owners of bars/restaurants may have about their profit being minimized because of the loss of a great number of customers (who are, of course, smokers), are basically idiotic, since there are a lot of people who actually don't visit bars/restaurants because of passive smoking. Also, a number of smokers wouldn't simply stop going to their favourite coffee shops just because they can't smoke anymore.

So, how's it working out in your country and do you have any oppinion on it?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2007 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Here in the US it varies by state, and by city. The city I live in has a complete ban of smoking from restaurants. People cannot smoke in public places, they cannot smoke in office buildings. It's wonderful.

4. Feb 20, 2007 #3
    Unfortunately, the citizens of my state (Ohio) recently passed a ban on smoking in all public places.

I feel it is reasonable to ban smoking in restaurants and other places where children frequent as the damage to their lung capacity could be considerable. I'd also be for banning smoking in homes in which children reside for the aforementioned reason.

What I cannot support is the ban on smoking in a bar. The people that go to a bar, in general, are there to get trashed. If you're drinking, health is not your primary concern and a little second hand smoke should be of no concern to you.

5. Feb 20, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I agree that smoking should be banned in all restaurants, since smoke and food is a horrible mix. (edit: the fact that children are in restuarants is a good point too) However, I think that banning smoking in all pubs/bars is a bit extreme-- it should be up to the guy who owns the place whether he lets people smoke in his pub or not.

I don't know what will happen when our smoking ban properly kicks in, but most coffee shops have banned smoking now, and I still frequent them the same amount. But bars are different. Most smokers I know smoke more when drinking, and to ban smoking completely in bars seems a bit ridiculous.

6. Feb 20, 2007 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The whole argument as I perceived it is based on rights. Those who support a ban say it is their right to clean air and those who do not support the ban say its their right to smoke where they please. I have to say that in my mind if someone lights up next to you they have removed your right to clean air without much opposition. So the only way to protect the rights of the majority of none smokers is to either ban it in all public places or set up designated places that are away from everyone else.

7. Feb 20, 2007 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hard to keep them out of the bars. They are such sneaky little suckers:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  8. Feb 20, 2007 #7
    I can't stand smoking; I am all for a complete ban of smoking in public places.

9. Feb 20, 2007 #8

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The town I work in has a complete smoking ban in all bars and restaurants. Now every bar has its clump of smokers standing on the sidewalk.

I personally think the ban in bars is a bit extreme. At least a bar owner outght to be able to choose for himself if smoking is allowed is allowed in his establishment. Since I am not a smoker or a frequenter of bars it does not effect me in the least.

10. Feb 20, 2007 #9

Evo

People don't NEED to smoke. I however need to breathe without coughing and gasping for air.

I don't think smoking should be allowed in public bars. If I want to have a few drinks with a couple of friends, we shouldn't have to be gasping for air and tears running down our faces from the smoke burning our eyes.

I'm sure private smoking bars could be licensed. Then smokers could pack the place and smoke themselves to death without harming others.

11. Feb 20, 2007 #10
    They ban smoking even in bars at DC now starting this year. I dont smoke, but I think its STUPID. Its a freaking BAR!

If you dont like to smoke/drink, dont go to the bar.

12. Feb 20, 2007 #11

Evo

Better to have bars for smokers and bars for non-smokers.

I don't mind cigar bars, cigarettes are nasty though.

13. Feb 20, 2007 #12
    I like to have a drink but I don't like to have a smoke when I go to a bar. I also would like to go to a bar to hear a certain band play but cannot because of the smoking. Why can't the bars have non-smoking weekends every now and then.....?

14. Feb 20, 2007 #13
    I think part of going to a bar is to be around the people drinking/smoking. Its a place to unwind. One time I was at a club and I came home smelling like I smoked an entire carton.

15. Feb 20, 2007 #14
    Where I am there is a complete ban on smoking in all public places ie restaurants, bars, shops...ect.Which I LOVE! However they can still smoke outside the doors to these places. Last year my campus actually considered banning smoking on campus even outdoors - obviously it wouldn't have been very enforcable they were mainly going to do it by not selling tobacco products on campus. However all the smokers raised a big stink about how it is their right to smoke while the rest of us have to pay for their medical bills when the poor dears get lung cancer and whatnot. There are designated smoking areas away from all of the doorways so that non smokers do not have to walk through a cloud of smoke to get in or out of buildings but naturally the second it gets even almost cold the smokers congreggate near doorways so you cannot get anywhere without walking through a haze of smoke.....definitely one of my pet peeves.

16. Feb 20, 2007 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What if you drink, but don't smoke? I've visited cities where smoking is banned in bars, and I love it! I can actually go out and socialize in a bar and not be sick. I even will go to bars and not drink, just get soft drinks and play pool. Leaving smelling like cigarettes and knowing you've breathed in all that crap is awful. And considering those bars are all still packed, it doesn't seem to stop anyone from going out (if anything, they pick up business because all the nonsmokers start going back out to bars again instead of going other places). If I go to a bar for one beer, or am the DD for the night and just have soft drinks, and the person next to me would rather do shots all night, I'm not going to be forced to consume some portion of the alcohol he's consuming just by sitting next to him. It doesn't work that way with cigarettes. You're subjected to all the smoke in the air from every chain smoker in the place, even if you're a non-smoker, or a very light smoker.

That said, since bars are adult establishments (referring to any place that doesn't have a kitchen as a bar), and those of us who don't smoke can still choose not to enter one, I don't have a huge problem if they licensed them separately for smoking (with better ventillation systems) or as "cigar bars" type things. Given the choice between a smoking and non-smoking bar, I'd choose the non-smoking one, and I know a lot of other people who would too. In places that don't have smoking bans, I don't know why some bar owners haven't realized they could get a competitive advantage if they prohibited smoking and publicized that. Even when I did go out to bars in the pre-smoking ban days, we'd choose ones that had the best ventillation so you didn't smell it too much (there was one that attracted a lot of non-smokers for that reason...they had very high ceilings, and good air circulation that even if someone in the place was smoking, you hardly even noticed).

17. Feb 20, 2007 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What does coming home with the stench of cigarettes all over you have to do with unwinding? You make it sound like you think that's a good thing. :confused: If I go to a club, I want to dance, and that's hard to do if you're choking and gasping for air. End result, I gave up going out to clubs because I couldn't stand the stench.

18. Feb 20, 2007 #17
    Several non-smokeing night clubs tried to open here, they just didn't last. But one has a sectioned off{by glass} area for smokers. With smoke-eater machines, it works very well.

19. Feb 20, 2007 #18
    I think historically bars have been a place where people drink and smoke. To say people cant do that anymore goes against what a bar is.

20. Feb 20, 2007 #19

Evo

It depends where you live, the percentage of people smoking in Kansas has dropped to 17.8%. Seeing people smoking has become odd. No smoking is allowed in bars and the bars are packed. There are some private bars that allow smoking for those that still smoke. But they aren't nice bars, they mainly cater to blue collar workers. I'm not aware of any upscale bars that allow smoking.

But I don't go out to bars anymore unless it's a forced afterwork deal.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  21. Feb 20, 2007 #20
    I live in Southern California and thers a public places ban on smoking. Since elementary I've been drilled to tell people around me smoking is bad (you can thank the DARE program for that) so I find it hard to see why people would smoke to begin with.

I think a smoking ban is reasonable at: schools, public institutions (i.e. a library or a museum), restaurants, and major theme parks like disneyland that will attract kids.

Basically anywhere kids will be, they shouldnt allow smoking.

Places like bars maybe a bit more lenient but that doesnt mean a wall of smoke should descend upon the sidewalk every time someone opens the door.

In households with smokers that contain young children they should monitor how much they smoke or something to that effect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?