Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smoking cigarettes.

1. Sep 2, 2004 #1
    I smoke cigarettes and lately I started smoking only half of cigarette and saving the other half for later.I know I know smoking kills ,my question; is it worst to do so or does not matter?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2004 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The remaining portion of the cigarette will have increased levels of tar, nicotine & other toxins. It is better to throw it away and light up a new one. Of course it's better not to light up at all, but it sounds like you already know that.

I'm glad that I never got into smoking.

4. Sep 2, 2004 #3
    well my obvious answer would be its just the amount of smoke you inhale (which will do you the damage of course) the worse it is for you. There will be some slight tecnical faults with smoking less, more often, more nicotine etc will diffuse across because the diffusion gradient will be less but i dont think thats worth worrying about.

5. Sep 2, 2004 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I believe tumor&myself have the same habit..
    My jacket never smells delightful when I've had a stub in it for some time
    (I wonder why)

6. Sep 2, 2004 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's bacause you know you have a half a smoke in there and you desperately want it. Soon the desperation turns to a frantic frenzy...and by then you're sweating like a pig. You can't think straight - you're a fidgety wreck, you're clothes soaked in your perspiration.

Is it any wonder then, that they don't smell like a dozen roses after this ?

7. Sep 2, 2004 #6
    Before I started doing this, I smoked half of the cigarette but now cash problems forced me to do this.F***** smokes are so expensive here!But I need my nicotine fix :cry:
    PS. now some researchers say that nicotine can prevent MS ,Parkinsons.

8. Sep 2, 2004 #7
    This doesn't sound plausible to me. Can you provide a link?

9. Sep 2, 2004 #8

Evo

Tumor, I'll tell you what I told my kids. It's never a good idea to put something that is on fire in your mouth.

They listened.

tumor, although I've never smoked, I've known smokers and I think I can understand the addiction to it.

My best friends dad just died of lung cancer. Even though he quit smoking 20 years ago, there was already enough damage to his lungs.

10. Sep 3, 2004 #9
    Not all cases of lung cancer are caused by smoking, how about car fumes,when riding my bicycle around the town sometimes I get light headed from all the fumes from those damn cars.Who needs SUV's or Vans in the city by the way?

One day I quit for sure,when one pack of cigarettes gona cost 15$

11. Sep 3, 2004 #10
    Reuters Health

12. Sep 3, 2004 #11
    are cigars 'better' than cigarets?
    and by the way my family (almost all smokers) have lived well into there 90's. except the odd one or to lost in war. Oh there was a great aunt who froze to death which I suppose could be caused by smoking. as she had gone out for a smoke! but I'm not sure on that fact as I wasn't there at the time. :cool:

13. Sep 3, 2004 #12
    If cigarettes are so expensive, and you know that they're unhealthy, why not try nicotine patches?

14. Sep 3, 2004 #13
    Well, ideally, you're not suppose to inhale cigar smoke. So you have less of a chance of getting as many diseases as a cigarette would give. However, it still has been known to cause diseases in the mouth.

As for cigarettes helping parkinson's disease, keep in mind that there are researchers who deny this. I remember reading an article written by UK scientists claiming that their research showed that it had no effect on parkinson's.

Nicotine patches are also pricey.

15. Sep 3, 2004 #14
    I heard somewhere that cannabis smoking is less dangerous than tobacco. Do you know if this comes from the junky-lobby or if this true ?

16. Sep 3, 2004 #15

Cannabis Smoking More Harmful Than tobacco

Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  17. Sep 3, 2004 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've never understood why people start smoking. I understand the addiction process, so I know why it's so hard to quit, but why ever put that first cigarette into your mouth? If you want to inhale smoke, become a firefighter. That's the thing I find so incredibly bizarre about smoking. Everyone accepts that smoke inhalation is a bad thing when talking about a burning building, so why would anyone intentionally inhale smoke, especially smoke with addictive properties?

18. Sep 3, 2004 #17

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try it before you knock it . :wink: :biggrin:

19. Sep 3, 2004 #18

Evo

I've tried them. :yuck:

20. Sep 3, 2004 #19
    People don't smoke because they like it. People smoke 'cause it makes them look cool! :tongue2:

21. Sep 3, 2004 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

See, now that's the only explanation ever given. Sure, in the 1960s it might have seemed cool, but don't people now realize it's just a disgusting habit? Are there people who really still think it's a cool thing? I just always thought it was gross, even as a teenager. It smelled bad, made your teeth yellow, made you smell bad, made people look old faster with all those extra wrinkles on their face from sucking in cigarettes and from the effects of the cigarettes on the skin, and makes people cough up nasty crap. What about this ever seemed cool to anyone? :yuck:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?