Homemade Smoke Compound: Easy & Affordable

• Thread starter moolahmoolah
  • Start date
In summary, the person describes making a smoke screen using potassium nitrate. They recommend buying the supplies from a website and provide instructions on how to make the screen.
moolahmoolah
Hey guys! I just wanted to ask if any of you knew a compound that's easy (and affordable) to make at home that is relatively small that would produce smoke. This smoke is in no way meant to harm or otherwise maim someone I just needed a compound to put inside my smoke grenade to mask my movements in games outdoors. The smoke can be any color and thick and I need a lot of it. The compund for it would be great if it could fit in a soup can and activated by fire, liquid (i.e. water vinegar or something). This needs to produce smoke for at least 20 seconds and no longer than several minutes. Thanks !o:)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Well well finally boarding school pays off :smile:
ok so I am not sure what compound is involved or how long it lasts but i think it depends on how much you make.
first of all you will need ping pong balls and aluminium foil (kitchen stuff is good), now cut up your ping pong balls into little pieces and wrap a handful of the pieces in one sheet of foil and squish it up until you get a ball with a little opening in the top (this is for the smoke to come out, i think it works well if you put a straw in here so that the smoke won't disturb the reaction). of course you can put as much ping ball extract in the foil as you like but remember this is a reaction and it needs to be in contact with the foil so a lot won't react.

Now for the smoke, take a flame underneath the foil and heat it until you start to see smoke then put it down and step back. voila smoke bomb and there will be a lot of smoke so DO NOT DO THIS INDOORS again I am not sure what this smoke is so it may be harmful so don't go throwing them at people either. you may need to experiment with a few before you get it right but it should be cheap and good fun.
enjoy

Here is a great set of directions for a Potassium nitrate based smoke screen. You can get the Potassium Nitrate as "Stump Remover" at a hardware store. You can also buy the supplies from this same website:

http://www.unitednuclear.com/smoke.htm

1. What is a homemade smoke compound?

A homemade smoke compound is a mixture of common household ingredients that can be used to create smoke for various purposes, such as signaling, insect control, or cooking.

2. How do I make a homemade smoke compound?

To make a homemade smoke compound, mix together equal parts of sugar and salt and add a small amount of baking soda. Then, heat the mixture in a pan until it starts to smoke. You can also add herbs or spices for a specific scent or use different types of sugar for different colors of smoke.

3. What are the benefits of using a homemade smoke compound?

Homemade smoke compounds are easy and affordable to make, using ingredients that are readily available in most households. They are also non-toxic and can be customized to suit your specific needs.

4. What can I use a homemade smoke compound for?

A homemade smoke compound can be used for a variety of purposes, such as signaling for help in emergency situations, repelling insects, adding flavor to food, or creating special effects for photography or film.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a homemade smoke compound?

As with any type of smoke, it is important to use a homemade smoke compound in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling too much of it. It is also recommended to use a heat-resistant container and to keep a fire extinguisher nearby in case of any accidents.