Smoking pot into your 30's, or even 40's.

• Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even
In summary: I don't think people who smoke marijuana are "drug fiends" at all, and didn't mean to imply that if I did.In summary, many adults smoke marijuana, and it's not always a bad thing.

Have you smoked pot as an adult?

• I stopped smoking pot after college.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • I kept smoking pot for a little after college, then stopped.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • I've smoked pot in my 30's

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I've smoked pot in my 40's

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • I've smoked pot in my 50's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've smoked pot beyond my 50's

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I've smoked pot as an adult, but only because I have glaucoma.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
El Hombre Invisible said:
Where these people also cigarettes smokers and, if so, did they continue to smoke cigarettes after they stopped smoking grass?
I agree. Smoke-driving not a good idea.

no, myself nor the others i have known were addicted to nicotine. not having it for a few days made me experience even more moodiness and anxiety, same with others who smoked chronically then stopped cold turkey. my stand on the issue is the responsible use of it, but i don't glorify it like i once had in my 20's.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kerrie said:
Can you elaborate on "problems"? That's a vague term. It would seem to me that marijuana was the cause of these problems rather then the problems causing the marijuana smoking.
"Problems" is vague because of the "a lot" part. I know one married couple that gets high on a daily basis and they fight all the time (that's just the beginning of their problems). I'm not implying a definite cause-effect relationship here, I'm just saying I don't want to be like them, so whether it's a cause or an effect doesn't really matter.

russ_watters said:
"Problems" is vague because of the "a lot" part. I know one married couple that gets high on a daily basis and they fight all the time (that's just the beginning of their problems). I'm not implying a definite cause-effect relationship here, I'm just saying I don't want to be like them, so whether it's a cause or an effect doesn't really matter.

Marijuana definitely does not make anybody beligerent. You might argue over the fact that one is always high, but that's pretty hypocritical if both are always high.

loseyourname said:
Marijuana definitely does not make anybody beligerent.
Perhaps, but if you take a couple of highly beligerent people and remove their already limited inhibitions...

Anyway, it could be the combination of alcohol and pot. The point is, I don't want to be like them and that is one part of their personalities.

loseyourname said:
Marijuana definitely does not make anybody beligerent. You might argue over the fact that one is always high, but that's pretty hypocritical if both are always high.

generally not, i agree, but when someone is out of pot and uptight, then i can see how an argument starts. alcohol makes people far more beligerent.

Last edited:
Kerrie said:
generally not i agree, but when someone is out of pot and uptight, then i can see how an argument starts. alcohol makes people far more beligerent.

One of the reasons I don't really drink very much is just that. I already have anger control issues and I'm a little afraid of what I might do if I ever got that violent. However, the few times I used marijuana before developing smoke allergies, my experiences were of being very calmed and in love with pretty much everything. In fact, it seemed that any two people who were high instantly became best friends, regardless of whatever violence or anger they might otherwise have been hampered with. I think it's a great drug in that respect.

Kerrie said:
no, myself nor the others i have known were addicted to nicotine. not having it for a few days made me experience even more moodiness and anxiety, same with others who smoked chronically then stopped cold turkey. my stand on the issue is the responsible use of it, but i don't glorify it like i once had in my 20's.
Couldn't quite follow your answer. No, they weren't cigarette smokers? It's just that you describe nicotine withdrawal symptoms (anxiety, mood swings) after ceasing smoking marijuana. If they weren't smokers, this is more likely attributed to the tobacco they used in their spliffs.

Couldn't quite follow your answer. No, they weren't cigarette smokers? It's just that you describe nicotine withdrawal symptoms (anxiety, mood swings) after ceasing smoking marijuana. If they weren't smokers, this is more likely attributed to the tobacco they used in their spliffs.

i am saying that i experienced anxiety and mood swings after ceasing marijuana smoking for years and i was not a cigarrette smoker either. those i have known to smoke MJ chronically also were not cigarette smokers and experienced the same symptoms as i did. one person i know who still smokes won't quit simply because he feels much less anxious when doped up (he smokes at least a bowl a day). if you refuse to stop because of the symptoms, that's addiction-whether it be on a mental level or physical level. i don't think marijuana addiction is something everyone experiences, but it is for some.

Kerrie said:
i am saying that i experienced anxiety and mood swings after ceasing marijuana smoking for years and i was not a cigarrette smoker either. those i have known to smoke MJ chronically also were not cigarette smokers and experienced the same symptoms as i did.
Okay, next question: what did you put in your joints other than marijuana? If nothing, fair play you are hardcore. Most people put tobacco in theirs. Thus when they stop smoking they feel anxiety, mood swings, lack of concentration, etc. This are all nictotine withdrawal symptoms.

Kerrie said:
one person i know who still smokes won't quit simply because he feels much less anxious when doped up (he smokes at least a bowl a day). if you refuse to stop because of the symptoms, that's addiction-whether it be on a mental level or physical level. i don't think marijuana addiction is something everyone experiences, but it is for some.
I don't know your friend, but it sounds to me like he is an anxious person and grass offers relief. If I suffer from chronic pain and smoke grass for relief, if I then stop the pain will come back. This pain is not a side-effect of cannabis withdrawal - it is a direct effect of whatever originally caused the pain.

Okay, next question: what did you put in your joints other than marijuana? If nothing, fair play you are hardcore. Most people put tobacco in theirs. Thus when they stop smoking they feel anxiety, mood swings, lack of concentration, etc. This are all nictotine withdrawal symptoms.
I don't know your friend, but it sounds to me like he is an anxious person and grass offers relief. If I suffer from chronic pain and smoke grass for relief, if I then stop the pain will come back. This pain is not a side-effect of cannabis withdrawal - it is a direct effect of whatever originally caused the pain.

I think we are getting off track here. Different experiences for different people. I smoked pot for over 10 years daily, after so long and so much, it had an effect on me. I don't think this forum is the place to glorify its use in anyway as we have readers who are nder age 18.

My opinion - drug use at best is stupid, it goes downhill from there.