Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smolin Damour

1. May 6, 2007 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2007 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Merci, Christine! I hope I can find a synopsis in English - my French is pretty shaky.

4. May 16, 2007 #3
    I think that I can help you here! It's just concerning a debate between Smolin and Darmour in Paris (June 2007). The page tells about the unsuccess of the string theory. Troubles in physics.

5. May 16, 2007 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Thanks. I hope that the debate is transcribed into English.

6. May 16, 2007 #5
    :grumpy: It's not true! Your translation isn't literal.
    The seminar is called "from string theory to quantum gravity"
    and the introduction says that contemporary physics is unsatisfactory for the reasons we know and that there are two main approaches, ST and QG, that's all.
    That's French par condicio, one from ST vs one from QG...
    I saw Damour two years ago in a conference, he is a good speaker quite famous in France.
    So the favourite player would be him, he is the local one.

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  7. May 16, 2007 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Thank you for the clarification. That sounds like a more even-handed treatment of the field and it would make for an interesting debate.

8. May 16, 2007 #7
    Ok Ok Ok; sorry for the imprecision and thanks for the translation (I was too lazy to do it entirely)

9. Jun 21, 2007 #8
    The audio-visual of the Smolin-Damour debate is up. Go here and click on one of blue icons.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?