Smolin Damour

• Thread starter ccdantas
  • Start date

Answers and Replies

turbo
Gold Member
Merci, Christine! I hope I can find a synopsis in English - my French is pretty shaky.

member 11137
Merci, Christine! I hope I can find a synopsis in English - my French is pretty shaky.

I think that I can help you here! It's just concerning a debate between Smolin and Darmour in Paris (June 2007). The page tells about the unsuccess of the string theory. Troubles in physics.

turbo
Gold Member
Thanks. I hope that the debate is transcribed into English.

The page tells about the unsuccess of the string theory.

:grumpy: It's not true! Your translation isn't literal.
The seminar is called "from string theory to quantum gravity"
and the introduction says that contemporary physics is unsatisfactory for the reasons we know and that there are two main approaches, ST and QG, that's all.
Today physics is unsatisfactory. General relativity and quantum physics constitute two manners of seeing the world. Each one is extremely well checked in its field (mainly microscopic for quantum, mainly astronomical physics for general relativity) but they are irreconcilable each other. As many physicists estimate, it must exist a more fundamental theory which makes it possible describing the world in a complete and unified way. The aspects of our current physics would be only approximations yet. The theorists of the whole world are searching of this unified theory, by exploring various and concurrent ways. These last years, two approaches were distinguished: "string theory" and "quantum geometry". Two champions of these approaches Lee Smolin and Thibault Damour confront here their designs of the world and their results.
That's French par condicio, one from ST vs one from QG...
I saw Damour two years ago in a conference, he is a good speaker quite famous in France.
So the favourite player would be him, he is the local one.

Last edited:
turbo
Gold Member
and the introduction says that contemporary physics is unsatisfactory for the reasons we know and that there are two main approaches, ST and QG, that's all.

I saw Damour two years ago in a conference, he is a good speaker quite famous in France.
Thank you for the clarification. That sounds like a more even-handed treatment of the field and it would make for an interesting debate.

member 11137

Ok Ok Ok; sorry for the imprecision and thanks for the translation (I was too lazy to do it entirely)