Smolin's 1995 Landscape of Physical Law idea

In summary: Susskind was one of the first people to speculate about the vast array of potential universes that could exist based on the constants of string theory. He suggests that the landscape is so diverse that it gives credence to the anthropic principle, the idea that the universe is fine-tuned for the existence of humans. He goes on to discuss some theoretical and conceptual issues that arise in developing a cosmology based on the diversity of environments implicit in string theory.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
It's interesting that Lee Smolin used the idea of an evolutionary Landscape of physical law back in 1995

http://arxiv.org/gr-qc/9505022

We just had that young quantum gravity researcher Leonardo Modesto at Marseille remove the Black Hole singularity so that spacetime extends thru the black hole to somewhere else ("Disappearance of the Black Hole Singularity in Quantum Gravity" http://arxiv.org/gr-qc/0407097 )

Smolin explicitly anticipated that kind of result in Quantum Gravity---eliminating classical GR's Black Hole glitch----in his 1994 paper
"The fate of black hole singularities and the parameters of the standard models of particle physics and cosmology"
http://arxiv.org/gr-qc/9404011
This 1994 already is describes the Landscape concept but doesn't apply the word "landscape" to it.

----from 1994 abstract---
The implications of a cosmological scenario which explains the values of the parameters of the standard models of elementary particle physics and cosmology are discussed. In this scenario these parameters are set by a process analogous to natural selection which follows naturally from the assumption that the singularities in black holes are removed by quantum effects leading to the creation of new expanding regions of the universe.
---quote---

In the 1995 paper the analogy is drawn between the genes of an organism and the parameters of physical law which generate the universe---the genes are to the organism as the fundamental constants and the laws of physics are to the universe----different values of the constants means a different universe.
In evolutionary Biology the ensemble of all possible sets of genes for an organism constitute a "Fitness Landscape" and this will have hills and valleys determined by a fitness function, with selection driving the gene pool to higher nearby levels of fitness (reproductive success).

Smolin draws the analogy explicitly (see e.g. page 33) and proposes a way the ensemble of possible sets of physical constants can be seen as a reproductive fitness Landscape.
the act of reproduction in this case being the formation of a black hole.

He is able to make a falsifiable prediction from this--which as of today still stands and has not been refuted

"... leads to a definite and testable prediction, which is that, Almost every small change in the parameters of the standard models of particle physics and cosmology will either result in a universe that has less black holes than our present universe, or leaves that number unchanged..."

Have to go, will get back to this later

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Will have to look deeper as well.

Smolin Lee

Page 12
It is perhaps worth mentioning that the word “landscape” was chosen in [8, 9] to make the transition to the concept of fitness landscape, well known in evolutionary theory, more transparent.

[8] L. Smolin, On the fate of black hole singularities and the parameters of the standard model submitted to Physical Review D. gr-qc/9404011, CGPG-94/3-5 ; Cosmology as a problem in critical phenomena in the proceedings of the Guanajuato Conference on Complex systems and binary networks, (Springer,1995), eds. R. Lopez-Pena, R. Capovilla, R. Garcia-Pelayo, H. Waalebroeck and F. Zertuche. gr-qc/9505022; Experimental Signatures of Quantum Gravity in the Proceedings of the Fourth Drexel Conference on Quantum Nonintegrability, International Press, to appear, gr-qc/9503027.

[9] L. Smolin The Life of the Cosmos, 1997 from Oxford University Press (in the USA), Weidenfeld and Nicolson (in the United Kingdom) and Einaudi Editorici (in Italy.)

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/hep-th/pdf/0407/0407213.pdf

I think we should refer back to Susskinds talk on Landscape as well for a clear perspective? Peter Woit's site would carry this.

Fitness landscapes are often conceived of as ranges of mountains. There exist local peaks (points from which all paths are downhill, i.e. to lower fitness) and valleys (regions from which most paths lead uphill). A fitness landscape with many local peaks surrounded by deep valleys is called rugged. If all genotypes have the same replication rate, on the other hand, a fitness landscape is said to be flat.

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Fitness landscape

http://img.thefreedictionary.com/wiki/6/67/Fitness-landscape-cartoon.png

And for further reference on Landscape?

Last edited:
this might be of some value- when Susskind published an article on his Landscape idea for Edge.org- Lee Smolin responed in the Reality Club-[ http://www.edge.org/discourse/landscape.html ]and a rather heated debate insued between the two of them

/:set\AI transmedia laboratories

http://setai-transmedia.com

sol2 said:
I think we should refer back to Susskinds talk on Landscape as well for a clear perspective? Peter Woit's site would carry this...
[/URL]

that is correct. Susskind's first Landscape paper was February 2003, right after Kachru et al came out with the 10100 string theory vacua.

http://arxiv.org/hep-th/0302219

The Anthropic Landscape of String Theory
Leonard Susskind
21 pages

"In this lecture I make some educated guesses, about the landscape of string theory vacua. Based on the recent work of a number of authors, it seems plausible that the lanscape is unimaginably large and diverse. Whether we like it or not, this is the kind of behavior that gives credence to the Anthropic Principle. I discuss the theoretical and conceptual issues that arise in developing a cosmology based on the diversity of environments implicit in string theory."

----------------
For String Theory, this paper is what put Landscape on the map. Let's get a broader historical context for it, however.

In 1995 Smolin used the concept of a fitness Landscape of all possible
Standard Models, and he did not then or later resort to anthropics. Instead he proposed an explanatory theory of physical law evolution and made a testable prediction. This prediction permits the new theory or scenario (which offers a possible explanation for why we are where we are in the Landscape) to be refuted. Smolin's theory can be falsified---which means that the theory is meaningful and part of the empirical scientific tradition.

whether or not it is right we do not know, it has not been invalidated as yet.

Smolin's chapter in the new Cambridge U. P. book elaborates on this
"Scientific Alternatives to the Anthropic Principle"
http://arxiv.org/hep-th/0407213
----------------
By way of contrast, in 2003 Susskind employed the Landscape image applied to the plethora or "discretuum" of string vacua which had been found by Kachru and others. He immediately proceeded to invoke the Anthropic Principle, a principle which has several versions.
Lively discussion ensued.
From this no testable prediction emerged which would allow either String Theory or the Anthropic Principle to be invalidated or otherwise falsified.
Doubts have arisen as to whether String Theory as practiced by Susskind and associates can actually be considered a part of science. these doubts were aired on sci.physics.research in 2003 in a long thread called "the string theory crack-up". Disatisfaction has been echoed by some eminent string theorists (Witten, Banks, Gross IIRC) who have been critical of
Susskind for resorting to Anthropism. the AP hoopla appears to have tended to divide and discredit rather than help matters.
-------------

In mid-June 2004 Susskind posted his latest paper on the Landscape:
"Naturalness and the Landscape"
http://arxiv.org/hep-ph/0406197
---exerpt---
"...During the last couple of years an entirely new paradigm has emerged from the ashes of a more traditional view of string theory. The basis of the new paradigm is the stupendous Landscape of sting theory vacua---especially the non-supersymmeteric vacua. These vacua appear to be so numerous that the word Discretuum is used to describe the spectrum of possible values of the cosmological constant..."
---end quote---

This paper was subsequently withdrawn from the arxiv, and is no longer generally available.

setAI said:
this might be of some value- when Susskind published an article on his Landscape idea for Edge.org- Lee Smolin responed in the Reality Club--- http://www.edge.org/discourse/landscape.html ...

SetAI that discussion is so great!

I think Smolin has been amazingly patient all things considered.

He came out in 1995 with this evolutionary landscape idea
with universes reproducing by blackholing near-copies of themselves.
So the universe that is most prolific of galaxies and stars and has the best parameters for making black holes wins out in the evolution game---or its genes do.

It is a testable idea. he has presented one or two astronomical observations that would shoot it down.

so it has empirical meaning---it makes predictions.

he actually came up with this in 1994, but in the first paper he didnt say the word Landscape. Anyway he has been waiting 10 years. And it is actually a decent idea that offers an explanation of why

1/137 is 1/137.036 or whatever
and why the
cosmological constant (expressed in Planck) is
10^-120 or so
and the other parameters of the Standard Models of cosmology and of particle physics

so I can understand if he sounds a bit impatient with these Landscape-come-lately Johnnies who when they finally get around to it make what looks like the wrong move and leap into the arms of the Anthropic Principal

My guess is that it will all get straightened out eventually and the new
smolin article, which is very plainly reasoned and non-mathematical, will help

Also the patching of the BH singularity by Modesto (and presumably others) will help. So Smolin evolutionary landscape will finally get a decent hearing--and be checked observationally.

In all fairness Marcus, we would have to know the limitations to make it falsifiable? If you agree with this then if you move in the direction presupposed with lorentz invariance,then we would have something to talk about in terms of supersymmetry?

I had been viewing some of Krasnovs simulations of the early universe in the past and to me something has made it ways into my mind about the sincerity of supersymmetry in regards to how we see this early universe resorting to "pearls and chains."

This then came to the ideas about http://wc0.worldcrossing.com/WebX?14@118.lroccxWyqad.0@.1ddf4a5f/57 and made me think of Glast here again.

If LQG is supported then the current models we have might have in regards to CMB might be in trouble. To me the current research supports early universe information gathering.

"
If GLAST detects violations of lorentz invariance in the form of
energy-dependent photons velocity, in agreement with theoretical
calculations, such observations and such agreement would strongly
support LQG. It would also represent a severe problem for
string/m-theory, as string theory in its current formulation
presupposes lorentz invariance is an exact symmetry of nature, valid
at all scales.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loop_quantum_gravity

I wnated to make sure I did not confuse the name of Andrey Krasnov with Kirrill Krasnov that Baez is related to in literature.

Why I wanted to add this here has to do with above posted, and how the intersection of photons held in regard to LQG's attempt at discribing the issues of Glast. from the SRian approach.

http://wc0.worldcrossing.com/WebX?14@92.YyIIcXeLrlD.0@.1ddf4a5f/57

I wanted to add this animation animation to help people recognzie the similarity that has made me aware of how this intersection is a vital recognition of how we can see the evolution of the early universe to now.

We talk about cosmic strings here in the animation as a way of seeing the consolidation of event and structure in that universe. What was important for me was to recognize how supersymmetry might arisen from brane realizations, and again, the moire effect was most strange if we had considered this "intersection," of the graviton, as if the photon was to travel through these waves.

I am still gathering my thoughts here.

Why should the number of black holes created decrease only under small parameter changes? Doesn't Smolin's theory predict that we're in a global optimum for black hole production?

Onto,

your post is a important question, so I do not want to detract from that... so I am using it for thinking out loud here.

Hawking Turok Theory

Think of inflation as being the dynamite that produced the big bang.
Our instanton is a sort of self-lighting fuse that ignites inflation.
To have our instanton, you have to have gravity, matter, space and time.
Take anyone ingredient away, and our instanton doesn't exist. But if
you have an instanton, it will instantly turn into an inflating, infinite
universe.

So in essence, Hawking and Turok proposed that the universe began from virtually nothing. The two physicists believe that the instanton does not exist "inside" of anything, nor was there anything existing "before" the instanton. The instanton was a combination of gravity, space, time, and matter packed into a rounded miniscule object. They believe the existence and subsequent actions of this object produced the big bang, and subsequently, the universe we live in today.

http://web.uvic.ca/~jtwong/Hawking-Turok.htm

So I think we need to undertand this place where beginnings and ends are really parts of the cyclical nature? The black hole, by removing the singularites does this. To me underlying this basis,a geometrical realization must come out front and center as we might see the Life Cylce of Energy and Matter in the cosmos.

But that's just me.

See Creation of Blackholes in the Colliders

Last edited:
Ontoplankton said:
Why should the number of black holes created decrease only under small parameter changes? Doesn't Smolin's theory predict that we're in a global optimum for black hole production?

this sounds like a helpful question

evolutionary models in biology tend to achieve local maxima
there is a landscape of genetic possibilities
and a fitness function analogous to height
and if you find yourself on the side of a mountain
then evolutionary pressures drive you up the mountain

(higher fitness bunches of genes, more grandchildren etc., win out over
lower fitness)

but to leap to an entirely different mountain would be a rare accident depending on a large amount of mutation---cant count on it happening

the process can only feel out local maxima and blindly grope its way up the slope that its on.

there is some discretion about what is meant by "small" changes----mathematicians can usually say and these are details to work out.

the way you tell whether or not you are at a local max (as the Smolin theory predicts with high probability we are) is you see if small changes can make things better, or if they always make things worse---fitness wise.

does that clarify it some, Onto?

I agree that his theory predicts we're at least in a local optimum; but the difference between evolutionary theory and Smolin's theory is that in Smolin's theory the process goes on forever, and if it's at all possible for the universe to mutate (by some preposterous luck) to an even higher peak, then this will happen at some point, and then the universes in the higher peak will exponentially swamp the others. The only way to avoid a global optimum is if that optimum is physically impossible (not just a rare accident, but completely impossible) to reach by any mutation or series of mutations whatsoever.

In the general fitness landscape picture of evolution, which Smolin modeled his theory upon, it is by no means a given that the highest peak will be attained. See the better popular books on the subject. Only the highest local fitness is guaranteed. If negative fitnesses lie between that and a higher peak, there may be no adaptive path from the local fitness peak to the global one.

I know, but as I said, Smolin's theory is different from evolution, in that it describes a process that goes on for an infinite time. If arbitrarily large mutations are physically possible (even though extremely unlikely), then if you wait long enough the system will jump to the highest peak and stay there. If arbitrarily large mutations aren't physically possible, there still only needs to be a chain of universes, each of which can have at least one black hole, within one mutation step away from each other, ending at the global optimum. After that happens, the global optimum exponentially swamps everything else (I think).

just curious, Onto, why do you think that Smolin's model assumes
an infinite regression back into the past?

I didnt yet find in his essay where he says that our series of black hole ancestors goes back indefinitely.

I would imagine that his prediction (about local maximum) would work also if one just assumes finite

naively, all one cares about is the prediction which says local maximum,

and a local can also be a global maximum

(every global maximum is also a local one)

all one cares is the prediction that we are probably at a local max
for black hole production
and if only that can be falsified by observation then we will have learned something namely that at least one of the postulates is wrong

---------anyway that's my take------
What I am wondering, and asking you, is where does it say
that the family tree of universes is infinite?
You say that is a feature of his model. Where did you see it?

I meant infinite into the future, not necessarily the past. It seems to me this works automatically, if there's always a universe that has 10^many children. (This gets into nasty probability issues: if you have an exponential tree of universes, with a fixed tiny-but-nonzero probability for any branch to die off, what's the chance that the tree goes on forever?)

And just to clarify: I agree that it would falsify Smolin's theory if we turned out not to be in a local maximum. However, I think it would also falsify Smolin's theory if we turned out to be in a local maximum, but not in a global maximum. If I can point to anywhere in the entire landscape and show that more black holes are produced there than here, then Smolin's theory has been falsified.

By the way, if Smolin is saying it all started with one or multiple seed universes that didn't come from any previous universe, I would like to know how he fits this into his theory (how were their parameters selected, for example?). Maybe I missed this in his anthropic principle paper; I only looked at it quickly.

Last edited:
(wrong calculation deleted)

Last edited:
I would think that a cyclic universe with particular probabilities for life would be completely indistinquishable from a single iteration of big bang. For it would seem that no information about the previous iteration could survive the big crunch, and you could never know what iteration or cycle you were in. And with some probability that things could produce life on the first iteration, or first big bang, you could never say that this iteration is not the first.

Ontoplankton said:
I meant infinite into the future, not necessarily the past...

then the argument you gave earlier that we have to be at a global maximum breaks down

Mike2 said:
I would think that a cyclic universe with particular probabilities for life would be completely indistinquishable from a single iteration of big bang...

we are discussing Smolin's model----cyclic universe is not part of it.
let's focus on Smolin's model in this thread

(don't get me wrong. I like the picture you can get in Loop Quantum Cosmology of alternating expanding and contracting stages. with a smooth bounce instead of singularity---but we should have aseparate thread: it doesn't relate to this evolutionary picture)

Last edited:
marcus said:
then the argument you gave earlier that we have to be at a global maximum breaks down

Only if you arbitrarily pick out a point in time where most universes have had time to go to a local but not a global maximum. There's no reason to do this, as far as I see.

Instead of "point in time", I should actually say "generation number". Smolin's theory, if I understand it correctly, takes no account of the idea that some universes may produce black holes faster than others, so that more generations can be crammed in the same time interval.

This was my earlier point: it's really hard to figure out what "typical" and "almost all" means when there exists an infinite number of each type of universe (timelessly speaking). You can look at all universes that will ever exist, or all universes that exist in one very early generation, or all universes that exist in one later generation, or all universes that exist in one very late generation, or all universes that exist at some time coordinate (seen as sub-universes of the original universe; that's possible, right?). All these will give you a different answer to the question what sort of universe is the most common. In that respect, Smolin's theory isn't much better than anthropery, I think.

Last edited:
Are there good reasons to think we're not at a global optimum for black hole production, by the way? Is it possible to construct an even holier universe by making very large changes in the parameters? Or is this mostly just academic? :smile:

And another question: are there parameters for which an infinite number of black holes is produced in one universe, as time goes to infinity? If so, how do you decide between them?

Last edited:
Ontoplankton said:
... Smolin's theory isn't much better than anthropery, I think.

Smolin's theory produces a prediction (actually several)
Pulsars are observed all the time and often the mass can be calculated very accurately by observing the orbit with another star. If a neutron star above a certain mass (IIRC 1.6 solar) is observed then at least one premise
is shot down.

this is what he wants you to believe or disbelieve and explain why.

I do not know if Smolin believes or disbelieves in multiple universes or if he believes in this way of explaining some fundamental constants by evolution involving black hole babies. He is not trying to persuade me or anyone to believe or disbelieve this picture or this story. What he wants, if I understand, is for people to
OBSERVE AND TEST and shoot the theory down if possible. It's science and the game is to construct models with explanatory and predictive power and test them.

maybe someone can show me that if a 1.6 solarmass neutron star is found that this would not shoot down Smolin theory.
THAT would be a really serious criticism! to show that the theory does not predict all neutron stars be <1.6 and that it would not be falsified by finding one bigger.

Ontoplankton said:
... an even holier universe by making very large changes in the parameters?

I like the pun holier universe :smile:

I wish we had an expert in smolin theory. I wish we could clone Smolin and get him here to explain more and e.g. answer your question. this stuff is for me personally fairly new. I usually think about just one universe with standard Friedmann equations and standard mainstream cosmology perhaps with a little bojowald quantizing around the bang.

holy universe makes me think of my favorite music to sing which is the Sanctus of the latin mass
(screw the Church, always sing in Latin)
Sanctus sanctus sanctus domine deus sabbaoth
pleni sunt coeli et terra gloria tua
osanna...
holy holy holy lord of the laws of the physics
heaven and Earth are full of your glory
(sabbaoth originaly meant the army of angels but I
freely and pacifically translate it to be the fundamental constants and the laws)

"...the Army of inalterable Law."

selfAdjoint said:
"...the Army of unalterable Law."

GeorgeMeredith "Lucifer in Starlight"

"around the somethingorother track marched rank on rank
the army of unalterable law"

but also Thomas S. Eliot "Cousin Nancy"
echoing the elder as he often did

"Upon the glazen shelves kept watch
Matthew and Waldo, guardians of the faith,
The army of unalterable law."

as you frequently do, selfAdj, you have taught me something.
i had to go to google and'm glad I did
because---tho I'm not really such a great fan of TSE as
many others of the appropriate generation still
the word "glazen" is brilliant

"upon the glazen shelves kept watch" is the
masterstroke of a peerless parodist
it made the day

marcus said:
GeorgeMeredith "Lucifer in Starlight"

"around the somethingorother track marched rank on rank
the army of unalterable law"

but also Thomas S. Eliot "Cousin Nancy"
echoing the elder as he often did

"Upon the glazen shelves kept watch
Matthew and Waldo, guardians of the faith,
The army of unalterable law."

as you frequently do, selfAdj, you have taught me something.
i had to go to google and'm glad I did
because---tho I'm not really such a great fan of TSE as
many others of the appropriate generation still
the word "glazen" is brilliant

"upon the glazen shelves kept watch" is the
masterstroke of a peerless parodist
it made the day

Matthew and Waldo in Eliot's poem are of course Matthew Arnold and Ralph Waldo Emerson, conceived as tutelary busts on cousin Nancy's shelves, and representing with gentle mockery the forces of rational anti-christianity.
I guess none of this is really OT here on PF.

Whether OT means off-topic or old testament
here is the important thing:

Sanctus sanctus sanctus domine deus sabbaoth
pleni sunt coeli et terra gloria tua
osanna...

the funny thing is that I really love the idea of evolution
producing all these species of plants and animals which are
quite marvellous (some or even most of them) and the way
it strikes me, evolution does not detract or distract one bit
from the basic message of the Sanctus.

one can revere the world as best one understands it and if
that includes an evolutionary process so much the better

and now our boy Smolin has extended an evolutionary process to
the constants
like this wonderful number 1/137.036
and its train of variants depending on energy

the Man with the Beard did not select 1/137, in other words, but instead contrived to have it evolve
that's sweet (as Oppenheimer once said IIRC about some physics)
something about the world like the sweet spot on a tennis raquet

but hey, the law is alterable

she is as she is and the law is
merely a slide we project onto her
and we are just fish
but sometimes it fits pretty good

what did Emerson or Arnold OR TSEliot know?

think of the Dante of a smolinary universe:
la gloria di colui chi tutto muove
per l' Universo penetra i risplende
in una parte piu, e meno altrove...
(first canto of the paradiso, I think)

marcus said:
but hey, the law is alterable

she is as she is and the law is
merely a slide we project onto her
and we are just fish
but sometimes it fits pretty good

what did Emerson or Arnold OR TSEliot know?

think of the Dante of a smolinary universe:
la gloria di colui chi tutto muove
per l' Universo penetra i risplende
in una parte piu, e meno altrove...
(first canto of the paradiso, I think)

Dante's vision, might not of been really the layers to hell, but of the vision of what underlies the reality of being?

Because there is a vast energy system underlying reality, it does not mean that the early uiverse might have spoken to the "evil" that underlies existence, but maybe of the rejuvenatuon of the phoenix, where this cleasning , now becomes new possibilties.

This topologcal feature of hills and valleys describe for us peaks worth considering, not just in how we percieve something very hot, but of what can exist through it all, and still become a factor in our perceptions of reality?

How do Smolin, Susskind, Hawking deal with it?

What is the geometry that connects it all?

Last edited:
Sol, the power that penetrates the universe, in the verse Marcus quoted has nothing to do with hell, it is the ecstatic vision of heaven (in layers or "spheres") seen from the original eden atop the mountain of Purgatory. And Marcus' coupling that with the Gloria (doxology to Protestants) captures Smolin's conception as a hymn of praise, perhaps to the Natura Naturans of Spinoza, which so fascinated Einstein.

selfAdjoint said:
Sol, the power that penetrates the universe, in the verse Marcus quoted has nothing to do with hell, it is the ecstatic vision of heaven (in layers or "spheres") seen from the original eden atop the mountain of Purgatory. And Marcus' coupling that with the Gloria (doxology to Protestants) captures Smolin's conception as a hymn of praise, perhaps to the Natura Naturans of Spinoza, which so fascinated Einstein.

but don't blame Smolin
my pleasure at contemplating the universe is my own business :smile:

Oh, now i see sol.
I wondered why you were talking about hell all of a sudden!

Dante wrote some great love poetry and two other books besides
the Inferno. People should not all the time associate Dante with the Inferno.

some think the book called Paradiso is even better.

he had a vivid imagination and you name it he could describe it
so his heaven is just as heavenly as his hell is hellish

I was quoting from paradiso canto 1 IIRC

selfAdjoint said:
Sol, the power that penetrates the universe, in the verse Marcus quoted has nothing to do with hell, it is the ecstatic vision of heaven (in layers or "spheres") seen from the original eden atop the mountain of Purgatory.

Thanks...lots to learn :smile:

But if eden is atop the mountain of purgatory(hell?) we know there are higher dimensional possibilties? As I said previous, even in face of purgatory, the realization is that there are these possibilties(spheres or layers) seen from that mountain top. You see?

selfAdjoint said:
And Marcus' coupling that with the Gloria (doxology to Protestants) captures Smolin's conception as a hymn of praise, perhaps to the Natura Naturans of Spinoza, which so fascinated Einstein.

Marcus is quite creative :smile:

Susskind grumps about Smolin Anthropery paper

Leonard Susskind is not happy with Smolin's paper on
a Scientific Alternative to the Anthropic Principle

and today Susskind posted his criticisms of it

http://arxiv.org/hep-th/0407266

Cosmic Natural Selection
Leonard Susskind

Absract: "I make a number of comments about Smolin's theory of Cosmic Natural Selection."

We now wait to see what will happen next :smile: