1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smooth Adaptive Regression

1. Apr 7, 2008 #1
    Hello, all. I know what I want, but I just don't know what it's called.

This has to do with regression (polynomial fits). Given a set of N (x,y) points, we can compute a regression of degree K. For example, we could have a hundred (x,y) points and compute a linear regression (degree 1). Of course, there would be residual error because the line-of-best-fit won't go through every point perfectly. We could also compute quadratic (degree 2) or higher-degree regressions. This should reduce the residual error, or at least, be no worse an estimate than the lower-degree regressions.

Now, what I want is a regression that determines the "best degree". I mean, if I have N points, I can always get a perfect fit by computing a regression of degree N-1. For example, if I only have 2 points, a 1-degree regression (linear) can fit both points perfectly. If I only have 3 points, a 2-degree regression (quadratic) can fit all three points perfectly, etc. So if I have a 100 points, one might say that a 99-degree regression is the "best degree". However, I look at higher-degrees as a cost.

I want a method of determining a regression with a balance between low residual errors and low degree. I imagine that there must be some sort of a "cost" parameter that I have to set, because the computer alone cannot say what the "right" balance between residual error and degree is.

Can anyone point me to the name of such a technique? Perhaps the most common used form of it?

I want to apply this to stock market prices. As human beings, we can look at a plot of stock prices and mentally "fit" a smooth curve across the points that makes sense. But how does a computer do this? We can't just tell it to do a perfect fit, because then it'll do an N-1 degree fit (e.g. cubic B-splines).

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted