Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smooth curves with cusps in 3d

1. Jun 28, 2011 #1
    "smooth" curves with cusps in 3d

While reviewing basic calculus, I noticed that the curve (1+t^2,t^2,t^3), which clearly has a cusp at (1,0,0), has a derivative curve (2t,2t,3t^2) which is clearly smooth. This struck me as odd since differentiation usually seems to turn cusps into discontinuities, whereas integration smoothes out a curve, especially a curve described by polynomials. In fact, in general I have always taken a curve to be smooth iff it has a continuous derivative, which this curve has, and yet a cusp cannot be smooth in any sensible sense. I suspect the explanation is relatively simple - just something I'm missing.

Thx in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2011 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi inkliing! :smile:
    no, that's only for cusps that have a non-zero angle

a cusp with a zero angle is often an illusion

consider a point on the wheel of a steadily moving car …

in the frame of reference of the car, it's going in a uniform circle (you can't get any smoother than that!), with https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=27" of constant magnitude v2/r

but in the frame of reference of the ground, it follows a cycloid (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycloid" [Broken] for a neat .gif), with a cusp whenever that point contacts the ground …

it moves vertically down just before contact, and vertically up just after …

but it still obviously has acceleration of constant magnitude v2/r :wink:

(can you find a frame of reference in which your curve has no cusp? :biggrin:)

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Jun 28, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: "smooth" curves with cusps in 3d

Note also that your "cusp" is at t= 0 where the derivative is (0, 0, 0) so that is NOT a proper parameterization of the curve.

5. Jun 28, 2011 #4

Thx tiny tim for the very straightforward frame-of-reference refrence. I understand it much better now :)

6. Jun 28, 2011 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The condition you need to avoid such "smooth" cusps is that R'(t) ≠ 0. If think of an object moving, if you allow it to smoothly come to a stop then smoothly take off in a different direction, you can get sharp corners. But if you have a continuous non-zero derivative for R(t), that can't happen, and that is the definition of a smooth parametric curve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook