Smoothness of a Parametrized Curve: Understanding the Definition

In summary, a curve parametrized by t is considered smooth if its derivative r'(t) is not the zero vector. This means that as long as one of the components of r'(t) is not zero, the curve is considered smooth. This is important because it ensures that the point does not come to a complete stop and change direction abruptly, but rather moves smoothly along the curve.
bodensee9
Hi

I have a general question about the definition. I know that a curve parametrized by t is smooth if the derivative r'(t) is not 0. I assume this is the 0 vector?

So then does that mean that if we have r(t) = f(t)i + g(t)j + r(t)k then any of the two can be 0 simultaneously while the third isn't 0 and the curve is still smooth? For example, can f'(t) = 0 and g'(t) = 0 at some point t0 and with r'(t) not 0 then the curve is smooth? Or must f'(t), g'(t) and r'(t) all not be 0?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes to both. r'(t)=0 means the zero vector and f'(t), g'(t) and h'(t) not all zero is the correct condition.

Thanks!

bodensee9 said:
Hi

I have a general question about the definition. I know that a curve parametrized by t is smooth if the derivative r'(t) is not 0. I assume this is the 0 vector?

So then does that mean that if we have r(t) = f(t)i + g(t)j + r(t)k then any of the two can be 0 simultaneously while the third isn't 0 and the curve is still smooth? For example, can f'(t) = 0 and g'(t) = 0 at some point t0 and with r'(t) not 0 then the curve is smooth? Or must f'(t), g'(t) and r'(t) all not be 0?

Thank you.

It means the vector is not the zero vector. So as long as one of the components isn't zero, you are OK. Think of t as time and r(t) representing a moving point. You don't want the point to smoothly come to a stop and then go in a different direction. For example consider:

[tex]f(t) =

\left \{
\begin{array}{}
t^2, t \ge 0\\
0, t \leq 0
\end{array}
\right.
[/tex]

and

[tex]g(t) =

\left \{
\begin{array}{}
0, t \ge 0\\
t^2, t \leq 0
\end{array}
\right.
[/tex]

and look at the curve

[tex]\vec{r}(t) = < f(t), g(t) > [/tex]

This [tex]\vec{r}(t)[/tex] has a continuous derivative even at t = 0. The problem is that the point stops at the origin and makes a right angle turn. You don't want to call that "smooth", so you don't want the velocity, which is to say the derivative, to be zero.

1. What does it mean for a parametrized curve to be smooth?

A parametrized curve is considered smooth if it has a continuous first derivative and the tangent vector is never equal to zero. In other words, the curve has no sharp edges or corners and can be drawn without lifting the pen.

2. How is smoothness of a parametrized curve related to its curvature?

The smoothness of a parametrized curve is directly related to its curvature. The higher the curvature, the more the curve deviates from being smooth. A smooth curve will have a constant curvature, while a non-smooth curve will have varying curvature.

3. Can a parametrized curve be smooth at some points and non-smooth at others?

Yes, it is possible for a parametrized curve to be smooth at some points and non-smooth at others. This can happen when the first derivative is continuous at some points, but not at others. In this case, the curve will appear smooth in some regions but may have sharp edges or corners in others.

4. How does the smoothness of a parametrized curve affect its applications?

The smoothness of a parametrized curve is important in many applications, including computer graphics, animation, and engineering. A smooth curve is easier to work with mathematically and can create more realistic and aesthetically pleasing visual effects. In engineering, smooth curves are often preferred for their stability and efficiency in design.

5. Are there different levels of smoothness for parametrized curves?

Yes, there are different levels of smoothness for parametrized curves. A curve can be classified as C0, C1, C2, etc., depending on the continuity of its first, second, and higher derivatives. A C0 curve is simply continuous, while a C1 curve is continuously differentiable, and a C2 curve is continuously differentiable with a continuous second derivative. A curve is considered smooth when it is at least C1.