1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smooth function between smooth manifolds

1. Nov 13, 2005 #1

I'm a bit stuck with that next question (and that's quite an understatement):

Let f:M->N be a continuous map, with M and N smooth manifolds of dimensions m,n correspondingly.

Define f*:C(N)->C(M) by f*(g)=g o f.

Assume now that f*(C^infty(N)) subset C^infty(M).

Then f is smooth.

My approach, given g in C^infty(N) and two charts (U,t), (V,h) on M and N corr., was to present:
    (g o h^-1) o (h o f o t^-1)=g o f o t^-1
    Knowing that g o f o t^-1 and g o h^-1 are smooth, I would like to conclude that h o f o t^-1 is smooth on t(U_intersection_f^-1(V)).

But I don't see any way to do that.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2005 #2
    O.K., I've gotten a bit further: I'm only proving this lemma away from finishing;

Suppose f:M->N is a map between smooth manifolds, s.t. for every point p there is a nbd U of p, for which f|U (f restricted to U) is smooth. Then F is smooth.

I'd love to know if I'm right about the lemma, and a boost towards its proof would be nice.:)
  4. Nov 13, 2005 #3
    Oops, got a lot back- even though I've managed to prove the lemma, I realized I had made an error on the way, and so I'm still stuck.

My error was to assume that f|U kept the same property as f, regarding f^* (it may still be true, but I have no idea how to prove it).

Please help me. I'm going crazy.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?