1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smooth Functions

1. Sep 25, 2008 #1
    My lecturer gave me a question that included giving a proof that a particular function is smooth. I have taken a course on analysis and have no problems when it comes to proof of continuity; i was just wondering what the usual steps are in proving that a function is smooth.
    I would guess that it would involve some sort of induction on the derivatives but if someone could sketch out a general proof that would be grand.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are some rules like: sums, products and compositions of smooth functions are smooth. Usually one uses these to show that a function is smooth. Otherwise, induction on the derivatives might work.

Since it is only a small portion of your entire exercise, could you post the function?
  4. Sep 25, 2008 #3
    Yes well this specific question is stated as such :
    f(x) is a smooth function, prove the function

G(x) = f'(0) , x = 0
    (f(x) - f(0))/x , otherwise

is smooth.
    I previously assumed by product rule it is true that G(x) is smooth when x is not equal to zero but obviously the whole point of the question is about x=0.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?