Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smooth latex

1. Sep 16, 2007 #1
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=63188

What makes some of the latex appear smoother than other? In that thread hellfire has smoother latex, than Tipi has.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2007 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Tipi centered his equations. hellfire did not. Other than that, I don't see any difference (Safari and Firefox).

4. Sep 16, 2007 #3
    I didn't pay attention to that. But that must be a different thing. Usually all latex appears like the Tipi's one (but on the left), and not as smooth as the hellfire's latex. Is hellfire doing something differently, or is that some special feature for only some members?

5. Sep 16, 2007 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do mean by "smooth", and what browser are you using? Other than the fact that one is centered and one is not I don't see any qualitative difference.

6. Sep 16, 2007 #5
    Sorry, I didn't understand. I'm using Firefox on Ubuntu linux, and I checked that with Opera I see the same thing. The hellfire's latex has some kind of anti-aliasing, that I haven't seen elsewhere.

7. Sep 16, 2007 #6
    Same here. Hellfire's appears "softer" and Tipi's more "ragged/jagged." Maybe a screenshot could help.

8. Sep 16, 2007 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think its a special feature for select members. The difference is minimal as far as I can see. As for why it is like that, I do not know. I think if anyone would know it would be chroot.

9. Sep 16, 2007 #8

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The older post has anti-aliased graphics.
    My guess is that there was a difference in the internal rendering settings [for ghostscript, probably] at the time of each post.

10. Sep 16, 2007 #9
    Can we make it the default -- I think it looks rather nice...

11. Sep 16, 2007 #10

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's a schroedinbug! I swear the integral signs in hellfire's and Tipi' s posts appeared to be identical the first time I looked at this thread. Now that jostpuur saw a difference, everyone can (incuding me).

12. Sep 16, 2007 #11

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hellfire's post is from 02-08-2005, when there was a different (and more resource-hungry) LaTeX generator used on this site. The engine currently in use is MimeTeX; I don't remember what the old one was called.

The same change happened to MathWorld a year or so ago, too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?