Smooth Mapping Between Unit Circle and Curve in R^2?

In summary, the conversation discusses the smooth mapping between the unit circle and the curve, and possible solutions for this problem. Riemann's mapping theorem is mentioned as a potential approach, and HallsofIvy provides a bijection that addresses the smoothness issue at x=0.
Pip021
Hi, I have been told that in R^2 the unit circle {(x,y) | x^2 + y^2 = 1} is smoothly mappable to the curve {(x,y) | x^4 + y^2 = 1}.

Can someone please tell me what this smooth map is between them? I can only think of using the map (x,y) --> (sqrt(x), y) if x is non-negative and (sqrt(-x), y) if x is negative. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Both [itex]x^2+ y^2= 1[/itex] and [itex]x^4+ y^2= 1[/itex] loop around the origin. Draw the line from the origin through a point on the circle. Where that ray crosses the second graph is s(x,y).

is there a smoothness problem at x=0? (in answer #1)

The advantage of Halls' answer seems to be that he is projecting along a direction that never becomes tangent to the circle. I.e. #1 projects horizontally, and #2 projects radially. Still it is not so trivial for me to prove #2 is actually smooth, as the equation I am getting for r is still undefined at x=0, although it seems to extend.

An abstract approach is Riemann's mapping theorem, with extension to the boundary, that apparently gives an analytic map.

HallsofIvy: Thanks, that's a nice bijection. I clearly need to think more geometrically for this type of problem.

mathwonk: I don't think there is a problem at x=0 (for Halls' map) because you can just define r to be 1 for x=0 and then it is smooth on S1.

well you have prove it is smooth.

1. What is the unit circle?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit that is centered at the origin (0,0) on a coordinate plane.

2. What is a smooth mapping?

A smooth mapping is a function that maps points from one space to another in a continuous and differentiable manner, without any abrupt changes or corners.

3. How is the unit circle smoothly mapped?

The unit circle can be smoothly mapped by using a trigonometric function such as sine or cosine, which maps the angle of a point on the unit circle to its corresponding coordinates on the x and y axes.

4. Why is the unit circle important in mathematics?

The unit circle is important in mathematics as it is a fundamental concept in trigonometry and is used to define the trigonometric functions and their properties. It is also used in various areas of mathematics, such as calculus and geometry.

5. How is the unit circle used in real world applications?

The unit circle is used in many real world applications, such as navigation, physics, and engineering. For example, in navigation, the unit circle is used to calculate the direction and distance between two points on a map. In physics, it is used to represent circular motion and calculate velocities and accelerations. And in engineering, it is used to design and analyze circular structures and movements.