Is Smoothness the Key to Understanding Complex Projective Space?

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of showing that the quotient map from n+1 dimensional complex space to n-dimensional complex projective space is smooth. The speaker has concerns about working with complex structures and multiple complex variables, and questions whether the function is well-defined. The answer depends on how the complex projective spaces are defined and can be found in resources that discuss smooth complex projective varieties.
Kreizhn
So I have been tasked with what is likely a very simple problem, but have forgotten so much complex analysis that I would like to very the problem.

Let [itex] \mathbb{CP}^n [/itex] denote the n-dimensional complex projective space. We want to show that the quotient map [itex] \pi: \mathbb C^{n+1}\setminus\{0\} \to \mathbb{CP}^n [/itex] is smooth.

Essentially, I just want to ensure that nothing tricky is going on when we talk about "smooth" complex functions.

1) Having identified [itex] \mathbb{CP}^n [/itex] as an n dimensional space as compared to a 2n dimensional would imply we are looking at it with a complex structure rather than a real one. Does this cause any problems? I'm thinking I cannot just work the solution for the real structure and directly apply it to the complex one, since something about Cauchy-Riemann equations is jumping out at me.

2) I assume smooth in this context is infinitely complex differentiable. For this would it be sufficient to show that the function is entire on [itex] \mathbb C^{n+1} [/itex]?

3) How must I adjust working with a function of multiple complex variables?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure ##\pi## is well-defined, since you cannot say which coordinate is unequal zero?

The answer depends a bit on how you define the complex projective spaces, which determines how the analytical structure is written. E.g. ##\mathbb{CP}^n = \mathbb{S}^{2n+1}/\mathbb{S}^1##
(https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/complex+projective+space)

Smooth complex projective varieties can be found here (p.23 f):
http://page.mi.fu-berlin.de/groemich/complex.pdf

For a more general introduction see
http://homepages.math.uic.edu/~ddumas/work/survey/survey.pdf

1. What is Complex Projective Space?

Complex Projective Space, also known as CP^n, is a mathematical concept that is used to represent configuration spaces in algebraic geometry. It is a space that is made up of complex numbers and is often used to study algebraic varieties.

2. How is Complex Projective Space different from Euclidean space?

Complex Projective Space is a higher dimensional space that has additional properties, such as projective geometry, that make it different from the Euclidean space. In CP^n, points are represented by lines passing through the origin, while in Euclidean space, points are represented by coordinates.

3. What are the applications of Complex Projective Space?

Complex Projective Space has many applications in various fields, including mathematics, physics, and computer science. It is used in algebraic geometry, quantum mechanics, and computer vision, among others.

4. How is Complex Projective Space related to projective transformations?

Complex Projective Space is closely related to projective transformations, also known as homographies. These transformations preserve the projective structure of CP^n and can be described by matrices with complex entries.

5. Can Complex Projective Space be visualized?

Unlike Euclidean space, Complex Projective Space cannot be visualized in the traditional sense. However, it can be represented visually using tools such as projective geometry and diagrams. Additionally, CP^2, which is a three-dimensional space, can be visualized as the surface of a four-dimensional sphere.