Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smooth Multivariate Complex Functions

1. Sep 23, 2011 #1
    So I have been tasked with what is likely a very simple problem, but have forgotten so much complex analysis that I would like to very the problem.

Let [itex] \mathbb{CP}^n [/itex] denote the n-dimensional complex projective space. We want to show that the quotient map [itex] \pi: \mathbb C^{n+1}\setminus\{0\} \to \mathbb{CP}^n [/itex] is smooth.

Essentially, I just want to ensure that nothing tricky is going on when we talk about "smooth" complex functions.

1) Having identified [itex] \mathbb{CP}^n [/itex] as an n dimensional space as compared to a 2n dimensional would imply we are looking at it with a complex structure rather than a real one. Does this cause any problems? I'm thinking I cannot just work the solution for the real structure and directly apply it to the complex one, since something about Cauchy-Riemann equations is jumping out at me.

2) I assume smooth in this context is infinitely complex differentiable. For this would it be sufficient to show that the function is entire on [itex] \mathbb C^{n+1} [/itex]?

3) How must I adjust working with a function of multiple complex variables?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted