Smooth section in principal bundle

Expert SummarizerIn summary, the smoothness of t, a local trivialization of P, can be understood by examining its local representation using a global frame on P. This results in a smooth map from p^{-1}(U) to U x G.
sperber
Hi!

I have the following problem: Let P be a principal bundle over a manifold M, p: P -> M. Let G be the lie group acting on P from the right. Now let U be an open set on M and

s : U -> P

a smooth section. Now it has been said that we can define a local trivialization of P by

t : p^{-1}(U) -> U x G, t( s(x)*g ) = (x,g)

It is clear to me that t is well-defined, bijective and that the inverse t^{-1} given by

t^{-1}(x,g) = s(x)*g

is smooth. What I do not understand is why t itself is smooth. Can somebody help?

Thanks, Sperber

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Sperber,

Thank you for your question. The smoothness of t can be understood by examining its local representation. Let p^{-1}(U) be a local trivialization of P over U. Then, for any point x in U, we can choose a local frame e_1, ..., e_n for the fiber of P at x. This frame can be extended to a global frame on P by using the right action of G. This means that for any point y in P, we can write y = s(x)*g for some g in G. Then, the frame at y is given by e_1*g, ..., e_n*g.

Now, let's consider the local representation of t at y. We have t(y) = (x,g) = (x, e_1*g, ..., e_n*g). This is a smooth map from p^{-1}(U) to U x G, since each component is smooth. Therefore, t is a smooth map.

I hope this helps clarify the smoothness of t. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a smooth section in a principal bundle?

A smooth section in a principal bundle is a continuous mapping from the base space of the bundle to the total space, such that it satisfies the group action property. This means that the section is invariant under the group action and therefore, it preserves the structure of the bundle.

2. What is the importance of smooth sections in principal bundles?

Smooth sections in principal bundles are important because they allow us to study the local properties of the bundle. They also help us to understand the global structure of the bundle by providing a way to construct bundle maps and perform calculations on the total space.

3. How are smooth sections related to fibre bundles?

Smooth sections in principal bundles are closely related to fibre bundles. In fact, a principal bundle can be viewed as a special type of fibre bundle, where the typical fibre is a group. Smooth sections in a principal bundle correspond to smooth sections in the associated fibre bundle.

4. How can smooth sections be used to define connections on principal bundles?

Smooth sections can be used to define connections on principal bundles by providing a way to differentiate vector fields along the fibres. This allows us to define a covariant derivative, which is a fundamental tool in studying the geometry of principal bundles.

5. Can smooth sections exist in non-principal bundles?

Yes, smooth sections can exist in non-principal bundles as well. However, the group action property may not hold in these cases. This means that the sections may not preserve the bundle structure and may not be useful in studying the bundle's local and global properties.