Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SN 1a progenitors

1. Aug 20, 2013 #1

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In this paper, A statistical analysis of circumstellar material in Type Ia supernovae; http://arxiv.org/pdf/1308.3899v1.pdf, the authors make a case for separate progenitor classes for SN 1a. It looks persuasive. It appears they suggest the double degenerate model along with an accretion model.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2013 #2

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Interesting paper, thank you Chronos.

From that paper,
    Remembering the original confusion over galactic distances that arose because it wasn't realised that there were two classes of Cepheid variables, which were and are used as 'standard candles', and that SN Ia are today used as standard candles measuring cosmological distances, might the possible existence of two classes of SNe Ia lead to a similar confusion over cosmological expansion rates?

(Emphasis mine)
    Garth

4. Aug 21, 2013 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, I believe there are at least 3 [if not more] classes of SN Ia, but, I don't wish to divert discussion. They [and understandably] did not address the unusual 'super bright' category. My suspicion is the super bright class [e.g., SN 2007bi, 2006gy] has biased distance estimates.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook