SN diagram vs. Cycle Frequency

In summary: Just start with a vibration model based on distributed mass (distributed along the length of the beam). Obtain a solution for the dynamic deflection as a function of time and location. Then calculate the bending stress as Mc/I at point B.
Simas
Hi,

What is the effect of the load cycle frequency on the SN curve (Wöhler curve)? Especially when the frequency matches the natural frequency of the component/material?

Instinctively, I would think that at the natural frequency the number of load cycles until fracture is lower than at any other frequency due to increase of amplitude at resonance. But I do not understand how you can see/show this in the SN curve.

Thank you,
Simas

Engineering news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, as a component forced frequency approaches it natural frequency it transforms to a realm known as "low cycle fatigue" which is the reason that the S/N curve is specified for "high cycle fatigue". For more information on this issue do a web search for "low cycle fatigue" and you will find a large volume on the subject.

Likes Simas
As you approach the natural frequency of a dynamic system, the system response typically increases rather drastically. This causes stress fluctuations that are far larger than those occurring for well-off natural frequency response.

Thank you both for your reply.

Following your answers, how do I calculate the stress during resonance?

For example, a typical cantilever beam as on the picture below, the bending stress in point B due to a cyclic force P is calculated as M(L)*y/I, with M(L) the bending moment in B (= P*L), y the height/2, and I the inertia moment. But this formula for the stress does not take into account the resonance effect, because according to this formula, the stress amplitude is the same for all frequencies. How do I take the resonance effect (drastic increase of the stress at natural frequency) into account?
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTE9DDepCkAQuwWQnk7pNsvxcOMn-Jzd8UZON6ccQ0-J_54fjBg.png

I would suggest that you start with a vibration model based on distributed mass (distributed along the length of the beam). Obtain a solution for the dynamic deflection as a function of time and location. Then calculate the bending stress as Mc/I at point B.

The standard SN curves do not apply, so you are really flying blind at this point. I suggest that you apply a conservative failure criterion and see if it appears that cracks will propagate. If you want to get into more detail, research "fracture mechanics."

This is not a problem for amateurs!

1. What is an SN diagram and how is it different from cycle frequency?

An SN diagram is a graphical representation of the relationship between stress and the number of cycles a material can withstand before failure. It is used to predict the fatigue life of a material. Cycle frequency, on the other hand, refers to the number of times a cycle of loading and unloading is repeated on a material. While SN diagram shows the fatigue characteristics of a material, cycle frequency is a measure of the loading conditions.

2. How do SN diagrams and cycle frequency affect material selection?

SN diagrams are used to compare the fatigue strength of different materials, allowing engineers to select the most suitable material for a specific application. Cycle frequency is also taken into consideration in material selection as it determines the level of stress that the material will be subjected to during its service life.

3. Can SN diagrams and cycle frequency be used for all types of materials?

SN diagrams are commonly used for metallic materials, while cycle frequency is applicable to all materials. However, the behavior of different materials under cyclic loading may vary, so it is important to consider the specific characteristics of the material being used.

4. How does the stress level affect the relationship between SN diagram and cycle frequency?

The stress level has a significant impact on the SN diagram and cycle frequency. As the stress level increases, the number of cycles a material can withstand before failure decreases, resulting in a steeper slope on the SN diagram. The cycle frequency also increases with higher stress levels, indicating a shorter fatigue life for the material.

5. How are SN diagrams and cycle frequency used in product design and testing?

SN diagrams and cycle frequency are important tools in product design and testing, especially for components that will be subjected to repeated loading. These diagrams help engineers determine the fatigue life of a material and make informed decisions about design modifications to improve its durability. Cycle frequency is also used in accelerated fatigue testing to simulate the expected loading conditions and predict the material's behavior over time.