Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Snack recipes

1. Jun 15, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ok guys and gals, who has some good snack recipes :D I go online to look for snack recipes and i find like, 40000 ways to make peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches! So what do ya got :) Any nacho recipes? :biggrin: :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2005 #2
    you will need:

keys
    car
    gas

drive down to gas station and buy some:
    doritos
    mini donuts
    rice krispy treats
    beef jerkey
    2 liter mountain dew

then you eatum mmnnnn good

4. Jun 15, 2005 #3
    2 packages oyster crackers
    2 packages Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix (dry stuff)
    1 tsp dill
    1 Tblsp lemon pepper
    ?? garlic
    2/3 cup oil (vegetable?)

just mix

edit: to clarify, you mix everything in a closed container - like a ziploc bag, and then set it aside for a half hour (so the oil gets absorbed).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2005
  5. Jun 15, 2005 #4
    how hard are nachos?
    you get chips. you grate cheese. then sometimes i cook up taco meat, or get refried beans, or black olives, and then salsa, then you put it all on a plate, or oven tray, and nuke it or bake it respectively. enjoy.

or, you get chips. you get some velveta and salsa. melt the cheese and salsa together with a little milk. then dip your chips in and enjoy.

oh, you know what i should get though, my espanaca recipe. thats good stuff there. its a spicy cheese and spinach dip. oh man, its soooo good.

6. Jun 15, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

My mother said not to use milk when melting velveta. I could hardly stand the chips because it tasted soooooooo cheesy.

7. Jun 15, 2005 #6
    Mangoes! but you have to figure out how to open them (so far I haven't).

8. Jun 15, 2005 #7
    and thus the lesson learned? don't listen to your mum, listen to Gale. you need to add milk, or its definetly too cheesey. also you can add more salsa too.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  9. Jun 15, 2005 #8

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ack, snack recipes? I thought the whole point of a snack was you didn't have to spend any effort on it!

In that spirit, the best snack recipe is to make your dinners bigger so you have leftovers. :smile: I always make 6 pizza bagels, despite the fact I'll usually only eat 3 or 4 over the course of an evening. The other 2 are left for lunch, which I always forget to bring, so they're left to eat when I get home. :smile:

10. Jun 15, 2005 #9

wolram

Gold Member

1 jar pickled ginger and chilies
    1 wedge extra mature cheese
    crusty bread
    crate of beer

11. Jun 15, 2005 #10

wolram

Gold Member

Or this if you have friends round, just leave it simmering on very low
    heat.
    4 pounds coarsely ground sirloin
    Olive oil or butter
    2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste, thinned with water
    3 to 4 medium onions, chopped, about 3 cups
    1 green bell pepper, chopped, about 3/4 cup
    2 to 6 cloves of garlic, minced (or to taste)
    6 birds eye chilies or more to taste
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil

1. In a 4-quart pot, cook meat in a little olive oil or butter (or a blend of the two) until no longer pink. Drain excess fat.
    2. Add remaining ingredients and simmer 2 to 3 hours with the lid on.
    eat with nachos and grated cheese.

12. Jun 15, 2005 #11

wolram

Gold Member

2 lbs. boneless beef or ground beef
    1/4 c. vegetable oil
    2 large. onions, chopped
    2 bay leaves
    3 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 tsp. cumin seed
    1 tsp. oregano
    1 tsp. cayenne pepper
    3-4 tbsp. chili powder
    1 can (28 oz.) tomatoes, undrained
    2 cans (8 oz. each) tomato sauce
    3 cans (1 lb. 4 oz. each) kidney beans
    2 tsp. salt
    3 tbsp. cider vinegar
    3 to 4 habanaro or scots bonnet chili
    grated Cheddar cheese

Cut beef in small cubes or use already ground beef. Heat oil in heavy, large saucepan. Add beef and cook until browned. Drain beef, leaving 2 tablespoons fat in pan. Return meat to pan, add onions and cook until just tender. Add bay leaves. Crush together garlic, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper and 2 tablespoons chili powder. Add to beef and onions. Add tomatoes, blend in tomato sauce and half the beans. Simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours over low heat, stirring occasionally.

Add remaining chili powder, beans, salt, vinegar and red peppers. Simmer another 30 minutes. Remove bay leaves and serve garnished with cheese

13. Jun 15, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've never mixed milk with Velveeta either. But, a variation on this recipe is to get a can of Ro-Tel tomatoes (you'll find them in the section of the grocery store with all the regular canned tomatoes). The Ro-Tel brand ones have chili peppers in them, maybe some other stuff. Cut a 1 lb block of Velveeta into cubes, dump that and the can of Ro-Tel into a microwave safe dish, and nuke it for a while until all melted (stop it to stir every few minutes). I think this recipe is on the Ro-Tel can itself, but ignore their directions of how long to nuke it, that's too long and you'll get burnt cheese and a mess in the microwave. Then you can dip any favorite snack chips in (I actually really like it with Fritos rather than nachos...they're better for scooping). It's a good party dip.

For summer time, I slice up some cucumbers and an onion, toss it in a bowl with 1 part white vinegar and 2 parts vegetable oil (just your basic salad dressing type recipe), some salt, pepper and garlic powder, and let it marinate an hour or two before eating the cucumbers. The oil makes it unhealthy, but it's tasty! It seems to satisfy the same taste buds as will start craving pickles.

Oh, here's a favorite of mine...take a tomato, wash it, cut out the stem part, cut it into wedges, sprinkle on some salt, and eat. :biggrin: :tongue:

14. Jun 15, 2005 #13
    well, i promise you guys you can add milk to velveta... seriously, its OOOOK!

and anyways, on the subject of veleveta and ro-tell tomatos. i like to make spicey macaroni that way. you boil the noodles, rise put them back in the pan, (they're still hot so they'll help the cheese melt, and also keep things from burning so easily.) then you add some chunks of velveta and a can of tomatos, PLUS SOME MILK! and then let it all melt and stir together. its sooo yummy. i make it as a side dish with tacos all the time.

also, speaking of ro-tell tomatos... you can put just about any meat on a pan and just pour a can of tomatos over them and cook, and it tastes awesome. i have my pork chops, and steak, and chicken that way sometimes. ro-tell tomatos are great to add to like... anything... if you like spicy food at least.

15. Jun 15, 2005 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh yes, they're great. I do that with chicken. Actually, I put a cup of dry rice in the bottom of a baking dish, put boneless chicken breasts on top, add the Ro-Tel tomatoes and a little extra water (maybe another half cup???)...you need to gauge how much water is in the tomatoes and add enough additional to cook the rice. Cover it, stick it in the oven until the chicken is cooked, which is long enough to cook the rice too, and you have a whole dinner in one dish. The rice sometimes ends up a bit mushier than if you cooked it separately on the stove top, but it has all that yummy flavor in it from the tomatoes and chicken, and it's just so easy when you don't have time to watch things on the stove.

16. Jun 15, 2005 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nacho Heresy!!!

First of all, you always start with fresh, raw shells, You don't use [clears throat] "chips" :rolleyes: . And preformed shells will get you the death sentence... :biggrin: You can bake, or fry, and then bake the shells with liberal quantities of sharp, or better yet, extra sharp Cheddar cheese. Any number of other cheeses may also be used, but really sharp cheddar is awesome. Then, about half way through the baking, apply minced onions and garlic, cumin, oregano, chile powder, and red pepper. Continue baking at 350F until the cheese and onion start to brown around the edges. The high heat causes a chemical reaction [of some kind???] that causes the cheese to take on that unique nacho flavor. If it doesn't get hot enough it just tastes like regular old cheese.

Add salt and then dip in a great, hot, hot, salsa.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  17. Jun 15, 2005 #16

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What the hell is Velveta? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

18. Jun 15, 2005 #17

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

velveta is what is know as a cheese food product. This means that it is produced near a cheese factory, it may be the refined results of a good floor cleaning at the cheese factory. It bears little resemblence to cheese in texture, more like old jello, less in taste, like something swept off a cheese factory floor.

Oh, yeah, I don't care for the stuff!

the official line

Ivan,
    That nacho recipie sounds superb! I think a taste test is in order!

19. Jun 15, 2005 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

oops, already beyond me :D I'll stick to my heretic preformed chips :(

20. Jun 15, 2005 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, I'm always suspicious of something that has cheese in the name but doesn't need refrigeration. It's sort of a safety yellow/orange color. Weird stuff. I really only like it in that dip I described. When I was a kid, my mom used to make everything out of it. :yuck: I didn't even know I liked mac and cheese until I moved away from home and someone served a version not made with Velveeta.

I'll have to try Ivan's nacho recipe, though I don't even know what a raw shell is if it isn't related to seafood. Where would you find such a thing? (Okay, I know you're talking about taco shells, but I've never seen them sold any other way than in the Ortega kits.) But if you're making it with sharp or extra sharp cheddar, that's gotta be good (I prefer extra sharp white cheddar...though, recently I've been tasting my way through an assortment of Irish cheddars the local grocery store has begun selling...one reminds me of champagne, nothing at all like the cheddar I'm used to, but very yummy).

21. Jun 15, 2005 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

VELVEETA ROTINI & CHEESE BROCCOLI

Well, that one from Integral's link can't be all bad. But I can see that I'm now going to have to share my nachos. :biggrin:

Moonbear, what is an Ortega kit? Is that something that you open that contains an unassembled chili?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?