Delicious Snack Recipes - Nachos Included

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, Gale provides a summary of the content. She recommends making your dinners bigger so you have leftovers, adding milk to Velveeta to make it less cheesey, and getting Ro-Tel tomatoes.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Ok guys and gals, who has some good snack recipes :D I go online to look for snack recipes and i find like, 40000 ways to make peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches! So what do you got :) Any nacho recipes? :biggrin: :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
you will need:

keys
car
gas

drive down to gas station and buy some:
doritos
mini donuts
rice krispy treats
beef jerkey
2 liter mountain dew

then you eatum mmnnnn good

2 packages oyster crackers
2 packages Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix (dry stuff)
1 tsp dill
1 Tblsp lemon pepper
?? garlic
2/3 cup oil (vegetable?)

just mix

edit: to clarify, you mix everything in a closed container - like a ziploc bag, and then set it aside for a half hour (so the oil gets absorbed).

Last edited by a moderator:
how hard are nachos?
you get chips. you grate cheese. then sometimes i cook up taco meat, or get refried beans, or black olives, and then salsa, then you put it all on a plate, or oven tray, and nuke it or bake it respectively. enjoy.

or, you get chips. you get some velveta and salsa. melt the cheese and salsa together with a little milk. then dip your chips in and enjoy.

oh, you know what i should get though, my espanaca recipe. that's good stuff there. its a spicy cheese and spinach dip. oh man, its soooo good.

My mother said not to use milk when melting velveta. I could hardly stand the chips because it tasted soooooooo cheesy.

Mangoes! but you have to figure out how to open them (so far I haven't).

Pengwuino said:
My mother said not to use milk when melting velveta. I could hardly stand the chips because it tasted soooooooo cheesy.

and thus the lesson learned? don't listen to your mum, listen to Gale. you need to add milk, or its definately too cheesey. also you can add more salsa too.

Last edited:
Ack, snack recipes? I thought the whole point of a snack was you didn't have to spend any effort on it!

In that spirit, the best snack recipe is to make your dinners bigger so you have leftovers. :smile: I always make 6 pizza bagels, despite the fact I'll usually only eat 3 or 4 over the course of an evening. The other 2 are left for lunch, which I always forget to bring, so they're left to eat when I get home. :smile:

1 jar pickled ginger and chilies
1 wedge extra mature cheese
crusty bread
crate of beer

Or this if you have friends round, just leave it simmering on very low
heat.
4 pounds coarsely ground sirloin
Olive oil or butter
2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste, thinned with water
3 to 4 medium onions, chopped, about 3 cups
1 green bell pepper, chopped, about 3/4 cup
2 to 6 cloves of garlic, minced (or to taste)
6 birds eye chilies or more to taste
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil

1. In a 4-quart pot, cook meat in a little olive oil or butter (or a blend of the two) until no longer pink. Drain excess fat.
2. Add remaining ingredients and simmer 2 to 3 hours with the lid on.
eat with nachos and grated cheese.

2 lbs. boneless beef or ground beef
1/4 c. vegetable oil
2 large. onions, chopped
2 bay leaves
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsp. cumin seed
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
3-4 tbsp. chili powder
1 can (28 oz.) tomatoes, undrained
2 cans (8 oz. each) tomato sauce
3 cans (1 lb. 4 oz. each) kidney beans
2 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. cider vinegar
3 to 4 habanaro or scots bonnet chili
grated Cheddar cheese

Cut beef in small cubes or use already ground beef. Heat oil in heavy, large saucepan. Add beef and cook until browned. Drain beef, leaving 2 tablespoons fat in pan. Return meat to pan, add onions and cook until just tender. Add bay leaves. Crush together garlic, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper and 2 tablespoons chili powder. Add to beef and onions. Add tomatoes, blend in tomato sauce and half the beans. Simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours over low heat, stirring occasionally.

Add remaining chili powder, beans, salt, vinegar and red peppers. Simmer another 30 minutes. Remove bay leaves and serve garnished with cheese

Gale17 said:
how hard are nachos?
you get chips. you grate cheese. then sometimes i cook up taco meat, or get refried beans, or black olives, and then salsa, then you put it all on a plate, or oven tray, and nuke it or bake it respectively. enjoy.

or, you get chips. you get some velveta and salsa. melt the cheese and salsa together with a little milk. then dip your chips in and enjoy.

oh, you know what i should get though, my espanaca recipe. that's good stuff there. its a spicy cheese and spinach dip. oh man, its soooo good.
I've never mixed milk with Velveeta either. But, a variation on this recipe is to get a can of Ro-Tel tomatoes (you'll find them in the section of the grocery store with all the regular canned tomatoes). The Ro-Tel brand ones have chili peppers in them, maybe some other stuff. Cut a 1 lb block of Velveeta into cubes, dump that and the can of Ro-Tel into a microwave safe dish, and nuke it for a while until all melted (stop it to stir every few minutes). I think this recipe is on the Ro-Tel can itself, but ignore their directions of how long to nuke it, that's too long and you'll get burnt cheese and a mess in the microwave. Then you can dip any favorite snack chips in (I actually really like it with Fritos rather than nachos...they're better for scooping). It's a good party dip.

For summer time, I slice up some cucumbers and an onion, toss it in a bowl with 1 part white vinegar and 2 parts vegetable oil (just your basic salad dressing type recipe), some salt, pepper and garlic powder, and let it marinate an hour or two before eating the cucumbers. The oil makes it unhealthy, but it's tasty! It seems to satisfy the same taste buds as will start craving pickles.

Oh, here's a favorite of mine...take a tomato, wash it, cut out the stem part, cut it into wedges, sprinkle on some salt, and eat. :biggrin: :tongue:

well, i promise you guys you can add milk to velveta... seriously, its OOOOK!

and anyways, on the subject of veleveta and ro-tell tomatos. i like to make spicey macaroni that way. you boil the noodles, rise put them back in the pan, (they're still hot so they'll help the cheese melt, and also keep things from burning so easily.) then you add some chunks of velveta and a can of tomatos, PLUS SOME MILK! and then let it all melt and stir together. its sooo yummy. i make it as a side dish with tacos all the time.

also, speaking of ro-tell tomatos... you can put just about any meat on a pan and just pour a can of tomatos over them and cook, and it tastes awesome. i have my pork chops, and steak, and chicken that way sometimes. ro-tell tomatos are great to add to like... anything... if you like spicy food at least.

Gale17 said:
also, speaking of ro-tell tomatos... you can put just about any meat on a pan and just pour a can of tomatos over them and cook, and it tastes awesome. i have my pork chops, and steak, and chicken that way sometimes. ro-tell tomatos are great to add to like... anything... if you like spicy food at least.
Oh yes, they're great. I do that with chicken. Actually, I put a cup of dry rice in the bottom of a baking dish, put boneless chicken breasts on top, add the Ro-Tel tomatoes and a little extra water (maybe another half cup?)...you need to gauge how much water is in the tomatoes and add enough additional to cook the rice. Cover it, stick it in the oven until the chicken is cooked, which is long enough to cook the rice too, and you have a whole dinner in one dish. The rice sometimes ends up a bit mushier than if you cooked it separately on the stove top, but it has all that yummy flavor in it from the tomatoes and chicken, and it's just so easy when you don't have time to watch things on the stove.

Nacho Heresy!

First of all, you always start with fresh, raw shells, You don't use [clears throat] "chips" :rolleyes: . And preformed shells will get you the death sentence... :biggrin: You can bake, or fry, and then bake the shells with liberal quantities of sharp, or better yet, extra sharp Cheddar cheese. Any number of other cheeses may also be used, but really sharp cheddar is awesome. Then, about half way through the baking, apply minced onions and garlic, cumin, oregano, chile powder, and red pepper. Continue baking at 350F until the cheese and onion start to brown around the edges. The high heat causes a chemical reaction [of some kind?] that causes the cheese to take on that unique nacho flavor. If it doesn't get hot enough it just tastes like regular old cheese.

Add salt and then dip in a great, hot, hot, salsa.

Last edited:
What the hell is Velveta? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

brewnog said:
What the hell is Velveta? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
velveta is what is know as a cheese food product. This means that it is produced near a cheese factory, it may be the refined results of a good floor cleaning at the cheese factory. It bears little resemblence to cheese in texture, more like old jello, less in taste, like something swept off a cheese factory floor.

Oh, yeah, I don't care for the stuff!

the official line

Ivan,
That nacho recipie sounds superb! I think a taste test is in order!

Ivan Seeking said:
You can bake...

oops, already beyond me :D I'll stick to my heretic preformed chips :(

Integral said:
velveta is what is know as a cheese food product. This means that it is produced near a cheese factory, it may be the refined results of a good floor cleaning at the cheese factory. It bears little resemblence to cheese in texture, more like old jello, less in taste, like something swept off a cheese factory floor.

Oh, yeah, I don't care for the stuff!

the official line

Ivan,
That nacho recipie sounds superb! I think a taste test is in order!
Yeah, I'm always suspicious of something that has cheese in the name but doesn't need refrigeration. It's sort of a safety yellow/orange color. Weird stuff. I really only like it in that dip I described. When I was a kid, my mom used to make everything out of it. :yuck: I didn't even know I liked mac and cheese until I moved away from home and someone served a version not made with Velveeta.

I'll have to try Ivan's nacho recipe, though I don't even know what a raw shell is if it isn't related to seafood. Where would you find such a thing? (Okay, I know you're talking about taco shells, but I've never seen them sold any other way than in the Ortega kits.) But if you're making it with sharp or extra sharp cheddar, that's got to be good (I prefer extra sharp white cheddar...though, recently I've been tasting my way through an assortment of Irish cheddars the local grocery store has begun selling...one reminds me of champagne, nothing at all like the cheddar I'm used to, but very yummy).

VELVEETA ROTINI & CHEESE BROCCOLI

Well, that one from Integral's link can't be all bad. But I can see that I'm now going to have to share my nachos. :biggrin:

Moonbear, what is an Ortega kit? Is that something that you open that contains an unassembled chili?

Ivan Seeking said:
Moonbear, what is an Ortega kit? Is that something that you open that contains an unassembled chili?
It's for making tacos. Ortega is the biggest brand name I see, I think El Paso brand makes them too. They come with the taco shells, some sort of icky seasoning to put in ground beef (it's always too salty for me and makes the ground beef taste nothing like taco meat to me), and some other sauces I think. It's been a long time since I've bought one of those since I didn't like it. You can just buy the shells, but they already look like tacos, and I don't think you could call them "raw." I really rarely eat tacos at all, so may have overlooked something of interest in that aisle, but I've never seen anything I would think would be called a "raw" shell.

I'm sure Moonbear is going to give me grief about suggesting this again, but every single day I enjoy half an avocado with mustard in it (I have about 10 varieties of mustard for this) along with baked potato chips (Kettle Chips brand). The secret is to scoop out a fat morsel of avocado with just a small amount of mustard, and then quickly cram in two or three chips. The combination of smooth richness (avocado), sour bite (mustard), and salty crunch is addictive.

Heh heh, I was having an avocado with dinner tonight and had just thought of that again. :rofl: I don't think we can get soft enough (i.e., properly ripened) avocados around here to scoop with a potato chip...I'm luck to get them soft enough to mash with a fork; any softer and they start turning brown inside and I'm sure they aren't supposed to still be eaten when they are that color.

Moonbear said:
I don't think we can get soft enough (i.e., properly ripened) avocados around here to scoop with a potato chip...

You are right, I never try to scoop with a chip . . . I use a spoon with one hand (I like my avocados al dente) and shove the chips in with my other hand. :tongue2:

Here's one of my favorites.

top round steaks, thinly sliced, about 4" across
minced garlic
white wine
cooking oil
flour
club rolls
provolone cheese

Dredge the steaks in the flour and brown in an uncoated frying pan. Remove steaks after browning. Use wine to deglaze the pan. Add garlic and return the steaks to the pan until fully cooked. Melt cheese on steaks. Dip the insides of the sliced rolls in the wine and garlic to make it extra tasty. And in just a few minutes, you'll have some damn fine sandwiches.

Tom Mattson said:
Here's one of my favorites.

top round steaks, thinly sliced, about 4" across
minced garlic
white wine
cooking oil
flour
club rolls
provolone cheese

Dredge the steaks in the flour and brown in an uncoated frying pan. Remove steaks after browning. Use wine to deglaze the pan. Add garlic and return the steaks to the pan until fully cooked. Melt cheese on steaks. Dip the insides of the sliced rolls in the wine and garlic to make it extra tasty. And in just a few minutes, you'll have some damn fine sandwiches.

Mmmm...sounds tasty! That might be dinner tomorrow. :biggrin:

If you're going to make a meal of it, then you should make these stuffed mushrooms as well. They go perfectly together.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cooking/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_24939,00.html

Apple slices with peanut butter and cinnamunununnanun...whatever.

Scotch(sp) eggs: Take a (shelled!) boiled egg and either make sure its completely dry or pat it with flour, then wrap it in breakfast sausage, my favorite being Jimmy Dean Spicy, and pan fry till brown and set on paper towels till all the grease is soaked up. Put a paper towel or 3 in a small ziploc bag to carry around all day. Yummy.

Make a pot of rice, let cool completely, put in giant ziploc bag in fridge.

1/4 can condensed cream of mushroom soup in the bottom of a bowl, add big handful of rice, spash with water, microwave, stir, eat with crackers.

If you let the rice cool completely in the pan you can remove it in chunks of varying size and they stay together. Take a good sized one and douse w/soy sauce or hot sauce and eat like an apple.

Frito sandwich with or without mayo.

Slice of bread with salt and pepper.

Crackers with butter. Yes butter. Thats what we used to get backinnaday before mexican restaurants served chips and salsa.

Tom Mattson said:
If you're going to make a meal of it, then you should make these stuffed mushrooms as well. They go perfectly together.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cooking/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_24939,00.html
I love stuffed mushrooms. Yummy. :biggrin:

Echo 6 Sierra said:
Crackers with butter. Yes butter. Thats what we used to get backinnaday before mexican restaurants served chips and salsa.
I haven't done that in ages! That's how crackers used to be served at my grandmother's house. It was one of my favorite after-school snacks. :approve:

Les Sleeth said:
I'm sure Moonbear is going to give me grief about suggesting this again, but every single day I enjoy half an avocado with mustard in it (I have about 10 varieties of mustard for this) along with baked potato chips (Kettle Chips brand). The secret is to scoop out a fat morsel of avocado with just a small amount of mustard, and then quickly cram in two or three chips. The combination of smooth richness (avocado), sour bite (mustard), and salty crunch is addictive.
I love avocados, too! My favorite snack: I take a warm tortilla with a piece of vegetarian cheese melted on it, then I take a thick slice of fresh avocado and some salsa and roll it up in the tortilla. Yummy! :smile:

i don't like peanut butter at all, so I'm not a reliable source on this. but my whole family loves it when my dad mixes a little powdered sugar into some peanut butter and then they use that as a cracker spread.

Gale17 said:
...dad mixes a little powdered sugar into some peanut butter...
...I think I just threw up in my mouth a little...

No one has mentioned cheese on toast yet, one of my favorites, i always
use unsliced stale bread and strong cheese" grated", and mix in some
lee and perin sauce.

1. What are some easy and quick delicious snack recipes?

Some easy and quick delicious snack recipes include nachos, popcorn, fruit salad, and hummus with pita chips.

2. Can you suggest any healthy snack recipes?

Yes, some healthy snack recipes include homemade granola bars, roasted chickpeas, and vegetable sticks with homemade dip.

3. How can I make nachos more nutritious?

To make nachos more nutritious, you can use whole grain tortilla chips, add black beans and vegetables, and top with a small amount of cheese and avocado instead of sour cream.

4. Are there any vegan or vegetarian snack options?

Yes, there are many vegan and vegetarian snack options such as roasted chickpeas, vegetable spring rolls, and hummus with veggies.

5. What are some creative ways to serve nachos?

Some creative ways to serve nachos include making a nacho bar with different toppings, using sweet potato or zucchini chips instead of tortilla chips, or making mini nacho cups with wonton wrappers.