Snake Sighting: Terrifying Run-In in My Backyard

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about various experiences and opinions regarding snakes. Some people find them scary and dangerous, while others have had positive encounters with them. Some suggestions were made for keeping snakes away from homes, such as having cats or skunks. The conversation also touched on the adaptability and abilities of snakes, including their intelligence and potential for harm. A few individuals shared their personal experiences with snakes, both good and bad. Overall, the conversation showed a wide range of attitudes and opinions towards snakes.
Ahh! The shape of a viper's head gives me chills - just the outline of it. And that's an impressive viper head! ...deep breath... it looks kind of like the um, the one with the horns... the gaboon. Do you have any of those around?

Okay, the vipers have very distinctive features, but how can you tell a cobra from other types of snakes? Is the hood always easy to see? Say, like a black mamba *shudder* (or do you have kraits there?) - I've never seen one up-close, but from a distance, it looks just like any other harmless snake to me. ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, I wonder if Evo had to approve those?! :eek: Poor thing. I hope she's okay. :smile:

Yep! we have Kraits, the common Krait and the Banded Krait..
Kraits are responsible for the second-most number of deaths by snake bites in India...

Yaaks said:
Yep! we have Kraits, the common Krait and the Banded Krait..
Kraits are responsible for the second-most number of deaths by snake bites in India...
Looking at or talking about venomous snakes kind of puts me on edge. I was just looking at some pictures of kraits and felt something touch my foot - and I SHOT out of my chair and was across the room before I realized it was just my pants leg that touched my foot. :rofl: Oy. Anyway...

So how can you tell whether a snake is a krait, just by looking at it?
The banded krait has distinctive markings, so I guess that would be easy to spot. Do all of the banded kraits have those black and yellow/white bands?
I didn't look at many pictures of the common krait - one heart attack per night is enough for me. The ones that I saw look just like any other black snake. Can you easily tell them apart from other snakes?

Thanks to honestrosewater, I just saw this thread.(Thanks, Sis) I ove snakes too. They're awesome.:rolleyes: But the only snake I saw from a near distance was a little one!:grumpy: We had a very selfsaticfied manageress and she was frightened to death when she saw that little(only a few inches) snake! :rofl:

I know you own a lot of things more terrible than just snakes.:smile:

Evo said:
:rofl: Poor Russ. But he looks hot in his shorts and sunglasses, but you're right, he didn't look sweaty. :tongue:
Cool not hot, right? :cool:

honestrosewater said:
Looking at or talking about venomous snakes kind of puts me on edge. I was just looking at some pictures of kraits and felt something touch my foot - and I SHOT out of my chair and was across the room before I realized it was just my pants leg that touched my foot. :rofl: Oy. Anyway...

So how can you tell whether a snake is a krait, just by looking at it?
The banded krait has distinctive markings, so I guess that would be easy to spot. Do all of the banded kraits have those black and yellow/white bands?
I didn't look at many pictures of the common krait - one heart attack per night is enough for me. The ones that I saw look just like any other black snake. Can you easily tell them apart from other snakes?
The Common Krait as the name tells u is really common, the marknigs on the snake are quite obvious, distinct(the white bands)...
The snake is dark or black in colour with thin white bands spread across the length..
We use a Field Guide for confirming the identity of the snake..
We take extra precaution when we deal with the snake coz its got a reeeeeallllllly naaasssty bite :biggrin: ..

Evo said:
Stupid jaws of death eats everything, but she didn't even look at the snake.
What is jaws of death?
I need some skunks, they eat snakes don't they?
You may need birds of prey and/or a mongoose. See http://www.szgdocent.org/resource/rr/c-hide.htm.

Yaaks said:
The Common Krait as the name tells u is really common, the marknigs on the snake are quite obvious, distinct(the white bands)...
The snake is dark or black in colour with thin white bands spread across the length..
We use a Field Guide for confirming the identity of the snake..
We take extra precaution when we deal with the snake coz its got a reeeeeallllllly naaasssty bite :biggrin: ..
Do you work with snakes or just encounter them often?

Oooooohhhh, Lis woke up.