Sneaky Skype and MSN in update

• Thread starter nomadreid
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, Skype is pushing me to update, but when I try to update, one of the windows asks me whether I want to make MSN my preferred browser, along with all sorts of auxiliary programs. I don't want MSN etc., but the box to check "no" is hidden (the text covers it) in such a way that it is impossible to click it. Last time I went ahead anyway and installed the upgrade, figuring it would be easy to uninstall MSN etc., but some of the auxiliary programs were so hidden in my computer (not appearing on the list of programs to uninstall) that most directions to remove them ("Go to control panel, click uninstall") were useless, and it was extremely difficult and time-consuming
nomadreid
Gold Member
Presently Skype is pushing me to update (it appears on my screen every time I start my computer), but when I try to update, one of the windows "asks" me whether I want to make MSN my preferred browser, along with all sorts of auxiliary programs. I don't want MSN etc, but the box to check "no" is hidden (the text covers it) in such a way that it is impossible to click it. Last time I went ahead anyway and installed the upgrade, figuring it would be easy to uninstall MSN etc., but some of the auxiliary programs were so hidden in my computer (not appearing on the list of programs to uninstall) that most directions to remove them ("Go to control panel, click uninstall") were useless, and it was extremely difficult and time-consuming to remove them. I would like to install the Skype update but without the MSN update. Any suggestions?
(I tried to post this on the Skype Forum, but it is not recognizing my login/password. Anyway, I have gotten better results on Physics Forums in the past than on the Skype Forum.)

Computer science news on Phys.org
I googled MSN browser because I thought that you meant IE. I see that it's actually a new MS browser. That looks like a giant POS.

Unfortunately many companies are doing these forced software bundles and the only option is to uninstall after the installation. I recently tried to install ZoneAlarm on a tablet and was not able to install the software unless I agreed to change my browser's homepage OR install a toolbar. When I agreed only to the homepage change that I could easily undo, the software did both anyway. I had to uninstall it from the Control Panel - Programs and Features. Then I had to manually remove it from my Firefox AddOns because the uninstall doesn't actually uninstall it from the browser - it just removes the program that keeps putting it back on the browser if you remove it from the AddOns. :headbang:

Last edited:
Likes nomadreid
Thanks for the answer, Borg. Yea, frustrating. I think I may have found a solution to this particular problem, however. I was just told (I haven't tried it yet) that the reason that the clicked box which sneaks MSN etc. into the computer but is hidden from view will reappear into view once I go to Control Panel>Display and set the size of text down to the minimum. Sounds reasonable; I shall try that.

nomadreid said:
Thanks for the answer, Borg. Yea, frustrating. I think I may have found a solution to this particular problem, however. I was just told (I haven't tried it yet) that the reason that the clicked box which sneaks MSN etc. into the computer but is hidden from view will reappear into view once I go to Control Panel>Display and set the size of text down to the minimum. Sounds reasonable; I shall try that.
Ah. If you're looking at hard to display text on a form, web page, etc., you can often select Ctrl and scroll your mouse wheel to do the same thing.

Likes NascentOxygen and nomadreid
Try selecting something on the window and then repeatedly hit the TAB button. See if the "no" checkbox can be reached that way.

Likes nomadreid
thanks for the suggestions, Borg and Routaran. Good to have a variety of methods ready.

Likes Borg

1. What is "Sneaky Skype and MSN" in update?

"Sneaky Skype and MSN" refers to the inclusion of Skype and MSN into the updates of the Microsoft operating system. This allows for seamless integration of these communication platforms into the system.

2. Why did Microsoft include Skype and MSN in the update?

Microsoft decided to include Skype and MSN in the update to provide users with a more convenient and efficient way to communicate. By integrating these platforms into the system, users can easily access and use them without having to download separate applications.

3. Are there any privacy concerns with "Sneaky Skype and MSN" in update?

Microsoft has taken measures to ensure the privacy of its users by providing options to control and limit the data shared between the operating system and these communication platforms. Users can also choose to opt out of using these features if they have privacy concerns.

4. Can I use other communication platforms instead of Skype and MSN?

Yes, you can still use other communication platforms even with the inclusion of Skype and MSN in the update. These platforms will not be affected and will continue to function as usual.

5. Will "Sneaky Skype and MSN" in update affect the performance of my computer?

The inclusion of Skype and MSN in the update should not significantly affect the performance of your computer. However, if you do not use these platforms, you can choose to disable them to potentially improve performance.