1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Snell's law demonstration?

1. Dec 29, 2015 #1
    I can't figure out why my demonstration of snell's law fails, that's the demonstration: (I used a photo)
    I think it fails because the function t (HO) represents a line and so the concept of minimum is not defined, when I take the derivative and equal it to 0 I'm considering the case when the line is parallel to the x axis (the first derivative gives me the angular coefficient and when I equal it to 0 the line is parallel) (considering as y the time and as x HO)

Is that the problem? ( I know the real demonstration but i want to understand why this variant doesn't work)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2015 #2
    ##AO\sin\theta_1=AH##

4. Dec 30, 2015 #3
    But... θ1 is the angle whit the vertical

5. Dec 30, 2015 #4
    You are right. May be better a simpler geometry.
    Let ##A(x_1,y_1)## and ##B(x_2,y_2)## the end points and ##O(x,0)## the point than we need. Write the total time and take derivation ##d/dx(t)=0##.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  6. Jan 8, 2016 #5
    yep it is preferable to use simple geometry to demonstrate

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook