1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Snells Law help

1. Apr 26, 2007 #1
    A certain kind of glass [tex]n_blue[/tex] = 1.650 for blue light and [tex]n_red[/tex] = 1.610 for red light. If a beam of white light (containing all colors) is incident at an angle of 30.0 degrees, what is the angle between the red and blue light inside the glass?

I use the Snell's equation:

[tex]n_1sin\Theta_1=n_2sin\Theta_2[/tex]

Hmm... I got 0.22 degrees. Is that correct?

I have another simple conceptual question:

An ideal gas is confined to a container with adjustable volume. The pressure and mole number are constant. By what factor will volume change if absolute temperature triples?

I guess it is 3 times the volume... or is it 1/3 the volume?

[tex]PV=nRT[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2007 #2

Mentz114

Gold Member

Do things expand or contract when they get hot ? If you take an empty plastic bottle with the cap firmly on from a warm room and put it in the fridge, what happens ?

4. Apr 26, 2007 #3
    Oh yes, Volume is directly proportional to Temperature in this case, Thanks. 3 times the Volume then.

5. Apr 26, 2007 #4
    Can anybody confirm with me for the first question I posted? Thanks.

6. Apr 27, 2007 #5

hage567

Homework Helper

I can't see how you got 0.22 degrees. Can you show what you got for theta(red) and theta(blue)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?