Solving Snell's Law Problem: Find Refractive Index at Height h

In summary, the problem involves finding the refractive index of air at a certain height based on a known angle and the refractive index at ground level. The approach is to use Snell's law and split the air into infinitesimal strips, integrating to find the angle as a function of refractive index. However, the initial value of theta is unknown and the height h needs to be taken into consideration. Small angle approximations may be used. Suggestions for solving the problem are welcome.
zell99

Homework Statement

A man, height h, can see a mirage at angles less than a known angle [itex]\theta[/itex] to the horizontal. The refractive index of air is at ground level is known. Find the refractive index of air at height h.

Homework Equations

Snell's law: [itex]n1 sin(\theta 1)=n2 sin(\theta2)[/itex] where angles are measured relative to the normal of the boundary.
I'm assuming it's a normal mirage, i.e. can see an image of the sky in the ground.

The Attempt at a Solution

My plan was to split the air up into infintesimal stips at constant height, find [itex]d\theta[/itex] as a function of [itex]d(refractive index)[/itex] and integrate to find [itex]\theta[/itex] as a function of refractive index. The problem I have is I don't know what the initial value of theta is, and I obviously need to include h somewhere.
If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Has anyone got any ideas? I should have said theta is very small, so small angle approximations are fine where appropriate.
Thanks

Thank you for sharing your proposed solution. It seems like you are on the right track with your approach. To solve this problem, you will need to use Snell's law and consider the change in refractive index as the light travels from ground level to height h. Here is a possible solution:

1. Draw a diagram to visualize the problem. Label the known angle \theta, the height h, and the refractive index of air at ground level (n1).

2. Use Snell's law to set up an equation relating the angle of incidence (\theta1) and the angle of refraction (\theta2) at ground level, given by n1 sin(\theta1)=n2 sin(\theta2).

3. Since the man can see the mirage at angles less than \theta to the horizontal, this means that the light must have undergone total internal reflection at some point along its path. This occurs when the angle of incidence is equal to the critical angle, given by \theta_c = sin^-1(n2/n1).

4. Use the known angle \theta and the critical angle \theta_c to solve for the refractive index at height h. This can be done by setting \theta1 = \theta and \theta2 = \theta_c in the Snell's law equation and solving for n2.

5. Once you have n2, you can use the equation you proposed in your attempt at a solution to integrate and find the refractive index at any height h.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Remember to always carefully consider the given information and think about what equations and concepts can be applied to solve the problem.

What is Snell's Law?

Snell's Law, also known as the Law of Refraction, is a fundamental principle in optics that describes the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction when light passes through different mediums.

How do you solve Snell's Law problems?

To solve Snell's Law problems, you need to know the incident angle, refracted angle, and the refractive indices of the two mediums. You can then use the formula n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2, where n1 and n2 are the refractive indices and θ1 and θ2 are the incident and refracted angles, respectively.

What is the refractive index?

The refractive index is a measure of how much a medium can bend light. It is defined as the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the medium. A higher refractive index means that light will travel slower and bend more when passing through that medium.

How do you find the refractive index at a specific height?

To find the refractive index at a specific height, you need to know the refractive index at the surface of the medium and the height at which you want to find the refractive index. You can then use the formula n2 = n1 + (dh/dz), where n1 is the refractive index at the surface, dh is the change in height, and dz is the change in the refractive index with respect to height.

What are some real-life applications of Snell's Law?

Snell's Law is used in several real-life applications, including the design of lenses for glasses and cameras, the refraction of light in water, and the bending of light in fiber optic cables. It is also used in the study of atmospheric refraction and the formation of rainbows.