1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Snell's law problem

1. Mar 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A man, height h, can see a mirage at angles less than a known angle [itex]\theta[/itex] to the horizontal. The refractive index of air is at ground level is known. Find the refractive index of air at height h.

2. Relevant equations
    Snell's law: [itex]n1 sin(\theta 1)=n2 sin(\theta2)[/itex] where angles are measured relative to the normal of the boundary.
    I'm assuming it's a normal mirage, i.e. can see an image of the sky in the ground.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My plan was to split the air up into infintesimal stips at constant height, find [itex]d\theta[/itex] as a function of [itex]d(refractive index)[/itex] and integrate to find [itex]\theta[/itex] as a function of refractive index. The problem I have is I don't know what the initial value of theta is, and I obviously need to include h somewhere.
    If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.
    Thanks

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2007 #2
    Has anyone got any ideas? I should have said theta is very small, so small angle approximations are fine where appropriate.
    Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?