Solve Snell's Law Problem: 2.1m Deep Pool

In summary, the problem involves a watchman shining a flashlight from a height of 1.6 m above the water onto the surface of a pool at a distance of 3.0 m from the edge. The pool has a depth of 2.1 m. Using the formula n_{{1}}\sin \left( \theta_{{1}} \right) =n_{{2}}\sin \left( \theta_{{2}} \right), the angle of incidence is found to be 61.928 degrees. After solving for the angle of refraction, the distance from the edge of the pool to the spot of light hitting the bottom is calculated to be 1.86 m, which is incorrect
negatifzeo

Homework Statement

In searching the bottom of a pool at night, a watchman shines a narrow beam of light from his flashlight, h = 1.6 m above the water level, onto the surface of the water at a point L = 3.0 m from his foot at the edge of the pool (Fig. 23-52). Where does the spot of light hit the bottom of the pool, relative to the edge, if the pool is 2.1 m deep?

Homework Equations

[tex] n_{{1}}\sin \left( \theta_{{1}} \right) =n_{{2}}\sin \left( \theta_{{2
}} \right) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem seems straightforward, but the answer I am getting is incorrect according to my online homework submissions. I am in degree mode on my calculator. :) First I used the pythag theorem to get the hypotenuse of the first triangle and the angle with the water, which is 28.07. I subtracted this from 90 to get the angle from the normal line. This gives me 61.928 degrees. I am using 1 as the index of refraction of air and 1.33 for water, giving me [tex]0.7857161968= 1.33\,\sin \left( \theta_{{2}} \right) [/tex].
Solving this gives me [tex]\theta_{{2}}= 41.561[/tex] The depth of the pool was 2.1m. Now I just used Tan(41.561)=L/2.1 andsolved for L to get 1.86, which shows as incorrect. Can anyone see where I went wrong, or is my entire approach off?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oops. Duh, I forgot to add the original L. L=4.86. That was a waste of time but I'll leave it here just in case someone wants to see...

Your approach seems correct, but there may be an error in your calculations. When solving for L using the equation Tan(41.561)=L/2.1, I am getting a value of 2.07, which is closer to the given depth of the pool (2.1m). Double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct values for the index of refraction and angles. Also, make sure your calculator is in degree mode.

What is Snell's Law?

Snell's Law, also known as the law of refraction, describes the relationship between the angles of incidence and refraction of a wave passing through two different media. It states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the velocities of the wave in the two media. In simpler terms, it explains how light bends when it passes through different materials.

How do you apply Snell's Law to a 2.1m deep pool?

In order to apply Snell's Law to a 2.1m deep pool, you would first need to identify the two media involved - in this case, air and water. Then, you would need to measure the angle of incidence (the angle at which the light enters the water) and the angle of refraction (the angle at which the light bends inside the water). Finally, you can use the formula n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2, where n1 and n2 are the indices of refraction for air and water, respectively, to solve for the unknown angle or index of refraction.

What are the units for Snell's Law?

The units for Snell's Law depend on the specific values being used. The angle of incidence and refraction are typically measured in degrees or radians, while the indices of refraction are unitless. The resulting answer will also depend on the units used in the formula (e.g. if the indices of refraction are in meters per second, the resulting angle will be in radians).

What are some real-life applications of Snell's Law?

Snell's Law has many practical applications in everyday life. Some examples include the refraction of light in lenses and prisms, the bending of light in rainbows, the formation of mirages, and the correction of vision in glasses and contact lenses.

Are there any limitations to Snell's Law?

While Snell's Law is a useful tool for understanding the behavior of light, it does have some limitations. For example, it assumes that the two media are homogeneous and that the light is traveling in a straight line. In reality, light may encounter different materials or objects that can cause it to scatter or bend in ways that are not fully explained by Snell's Law. Additionally, Snell's Law only applies to light waves and does not account for other types of waves, such as sound or water waves.