Find Angle of Reflection for Snell's Law Q w/ GaP Index

In summary, the ray of light incident on the block of gallium phosphide has an angle of refraction of 8.0° and a reflection angle of 19.56 degrees.
Carrie

Homework Statement

A ray of light is incident on a flat surface of a block of gallium phosphide that is surrounded by water. The angle of refraction is 8.0°. Find the angle of reflection.

Homework Equations

n1 sin(theta1) = n2 sin(theta2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep finding different values for the index of refraction of gallium phosphide... 3.20 (which was wrong), 3.8 (also wrong)... can anyone verify what the correct number is?
Using 3.20 as the index of refraction of gallium phosphide and 1.33 as the index of refraction of water:
sin(theta) = (3.20 * sin(8.0 degrees)) / 1.33
theta = 19.56 degrees (incorrect)

Each time I'm submitting this question, it says my answer is within 10% of the correct answer, leading me to think that it's an error with the refractive index value.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Carrie said:

Homework Statement

A ray of light is incident on a flat surface of a block of gallium phosphide that is surrounded by water. The angle of refraction is 8.0°. Find the angle of reflection.

Homework Equations

n1 sin(theta1) = n2 sin(theta2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep finding different values for the index of refraction of gallium phosphide... 3.20 (which was wrong), 3.8 (also wrong)... can anyone verify what the correct number is?
Using 3.20 as the index of refraction of gallium phosphide and 1.33 as the index of refraction of water:
sin(theta) = (3.20 * sin(8.0 degrees)) / 1.33
theta = 19.56 degrees (incorrect)

Each time I'm submitting this question, it says my answer is within 10% of the correct answer, leading me to think that it's an error with the refractive index value.

Thank you!
This from Wikipedia:

Refractive index (n): 3.02 (2.48 µm), 3.19 (840 nm), 3.45 (550 nm), 4.30 (262 nm)

What's a nominal wavelength for light?

Okay, so from what I understand, it changes based on the wavelength...does that mean that I would just look at the wavelength of the value of 1.33 value for water? At 589.29 nm, water has a refractive index of 1.33. The closest wavelength to that value from the ones you have would be the one at 550 nm, or 3.45.

Carrie said:
Okay, so from what I understand, it changes based on the wavelength...does that mean that I would just look at the wavelength of the value of 1.33 value for water? At 589.29 nm, water has a refractive index of 1.33. The closest wavelength to that value from the ones you have would be the one at 550 nm, or 3.45.
Try it.

Yes, that was right! Thank you so much for your help! :smile:

What is Snell's Law?

Snell's Law, also known as the law of refraction, is a formula that describes the relationship between the angles of incidence and refraction for a wave passing through a boundary between two different mediums. It is commonly used to calculate the direction of light as it passes through different substances.

What is the index of refraction?

The index of refraction is a measurement of how much a substance can bend or refract light. It is defined as the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the medium. The greater the index of refraction, the more the light will be bent as it passes through the medium.

What is GaP and why is it used in this calculation?

GaP stands for gallium phosphide, which is a semiconductor material commonly used in electronic devices. It is used in this calculation because it has a well-defined index of refraction that can be easily measured and is often used as a standard for comparing the refractive properties of other materials.

How do I find the angle of reflection using Snell's Law?

To find the angle of reflection, you will need to know the angle of incidence and the index of refraction for both the incident and refracted mediums. The formula for finding the angle of reflection is:

θr = sin⁻¹[(ni/nr) sin(θi)]

where θr is the angle of reflection, ni is the index of refraction for the incident medium, nr is the index of refraction for the refracted medium, and θi is the angle of incidence.

Why is it important to calculate the angle of reflection?

Calculating the angle of reflection is important because it allows us to understand how light behaves as it passes through different materials. This information is crucial in various fields such as optics, physics, and engineering. It also helps us to accurately predict the direction of light and how it will interact with different surfaces, which has practical applications in designing lenses, mirrors, and other optical devices.