Explaining Snell's Law in Simple Terms

In summary, understanding Snell's Law can be difficult to find information on. However, one helpful way to understand it is to think of a marching band and how the different parts moving at different speeds can be represented as snapshots over time. Additionally, Christian Hygen's wavelet theory can also provide a better understanding of Snell's Law. However, since it is not exactly how the phenomenon works, it is recommended to simply accept the explanation until reaching a quantum explanation.
music_lover12
Okay, so I've tried doing some research about Snell's Law, and I haven't been able to find information that I actually understand. Could someone explain this to me in terms that will help me?

Science news on Phys.org
think of a marching band.

when parts of the marching band slow down, see what would happen. Draw a whole bunch of snapshots of what would happen (as a function of time) and you will completely understand snell's law.

And read some of this,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snell's_law

tim_lou said:
think of a marching band.

when parts of the marching band slow down, see what would happen. Draw a whole bunch of snapshots of what would happen (as a function of time) and you will completely understand snell's law.

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/scenario/analogy.htm

that's a terrible way to understand it.

i have a really good explanation of christian hygen's wavelet theory and that translates to an understanding of snell's law. but really since it not what actually happens anyway i would just take it for granted until you get to the quantum explanation

We cannot give it to you in terms is you understand unless you indicate what you have already read and why you don't understand it.

Claude.

1. What is Snell's Law?

Snell's Law is a principle in physics that describes the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction when a light ray passes through a boundary between two different materials, such as air and water or glass and air.

2. Why is Snell's Law important?

Snell's Law is important because it helps us understand how light behaves when it travels from one medium to another. This is essential for many practical applications, such as designing lenses for glasses or cameras, predicting the path of light in fiber optics, and understanding the formation of rainbows.

3. How is Snell's Law calculated?

Snell's Law is calculated using a simple equation: n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2, where n1 and n2 are the refractive indices of the two materials and θ1 and θ2 are the angles of incidence and refraction, respectively. The refractive index is a measure of how much a material bends light.

4. What is the practical application of Snell's Law?

Snell's Law has many practical applications, including in the fields of optics, engineering, and meteorology. It is used to design lenses for glasses and cameras, predict the path of light in fiber optics, and understand the formation of rainbows. It is also important in the study of atmospheric refraction, which affects the appearance of celestial objects.

5. Can you explain Snell's Law in simple terms?

Yes, Snell's Law simply states that when light passes through a boundary between two different materials, it will change direction depending on the refractive indices of the two materials. The greater the difference in refractive indices, the more the light will bend. This is why objects appear distorted when viewed through water or a glass lens.