1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Snell's law

1. May 3, 2008 #1
    For Snell's law n2sin(theta2)=n1sin(theta1), I know that air has an index of refraction of approximately 1. But how do I find the actual value for the index of refraction if I know the temperature jump and pressure? I know that from what I am given, I can find the densities of the air, but then how do I use the densities to find the index of refraction?

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A Google search on
    air "refractive index"
    led me here:
    http://www.strw.leidenuniv.nl/~mathar/progs/prWaterWeb.html [Broken]
    Calculates (n-1) depending on temperature, pressure, humidity, and even CO2 content of the atmosphere!

Do you happen to have a particular application or use in mind? Eg., ray tracing calculation, atmospheric distortion, solving a homework problem, other?

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  4. May 3, 2008 #3

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

well. I think you could look up the dielectric constant ([itex]\epsilon[/itex], where [itex]n^2=\epsilon[/itex]) at different densities. but also, if you know the dielectric constant at some given number density ([itex]n_1[/itex]) then to find it at a different density you could use
    [tex]
    \frac{\epsilon(n_2)-\epsilon(n_2)}{\epsilon(n_1)-1}=\frac{n_2-n_1}{n_1}
    [/tex]

...and, sorry for using the symbol n for two different things... my bad, in the equation it is number density, not index of refraction

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  5. May 3, 2008 #4
    this question is for a homework problem. It seems that every source I look at, the dielectric constant for air at 1 atm is 1.00059. Is this value safe to assume for all temperatures?

6. May 3, 2008 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it will change with temperature and pressure. The denser the air, the higher the value.

7. May 3, 2008 #6
    Is there an equation that relates the density to the index of refraction?

8. May 3, 2008 #7

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

i gave it to you

9. May 3, 2008 #8

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can do pretty well by assuming (n-1) is proportional to the air density.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook