Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Snobs

1. Mar 6, 2005 #1
    Sorry for this little rant,
    If the iPod ear bud wires were black would there be so many people walking around and just showing off.
    Another thing is,how many of you can read book in bus or subway and learn and remember anything,I can't.Some people of course like to to read on public transit (no problem) but many folks I guess pretend to read book just to show that they are more educated,intelligent in comparisson to the masses(snobism)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope.It's a way of spending time.You're in a gd train.For 3 hours,no TV,no music (assuming you haven't anything portable),no sports,or a friend to talk to,no net (no PF :tongue2:)...You gotta spend that time somehow...

As for bus or subway,depends on how long the ride is:if it's short,then u have a snob,if not,then you have a smart guy.

Daniel.

4. Mar 6, 2005 #3

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've got an iPod, but always use cheap black earphones with it in public so that I don't get mugged. If it were up to me, the earphones would be invisible.

5. Mar 6, 2005 #4

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I use my Pocket PC. :biggrin:

I'd probably do homework on a transit ride any longer than 30 minutes. You might as well be efficient.

Would cracking open a textbook make me a snob?

6. Mar 6, 2005 #5

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What the heck else is there to do but read? And why is it any different than reading on a park bench or anywhere else in public?

I used to do that every day when I worked about 15+ miles out on the prairie. It's a pretty drive once in a while. To do it every day just runs up an incredible amount of miles on your car - I ran up 25,000 miles the first year I worked out there. I'd park at the base and ride the bus while reading the paper and drinking my coffee.

7. Mar 6, 2005 #6
    I listen to music on the bus but I don't read unless it is a long journey. I did have a physics book in my hand once but that was because it wouldn't fit in my bag and I was trying to hide it so people didn't think I was a nerd or so.

The Bob (2004 ©)

8. Mar 6, 2005 #7
    Hell yeah! I usually pull out my 20lb phyiscs book, nice laptop, ipod, palm pilot, everything.

Actually I do not pull anything out during a short (less than 1hr) bus ride. Maybe a newspaper, but usually the bums and/or drunks keep me entertained.

9. Mar 6, 2005 #8
    The problem is I don't need to think about my image, I have actually been told off by my friends for ruining their images. :surprised

I mean come on. What does it matter to them???

I dunno

The Bob (2004 ©)

10. Mar 6, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't see what the issue is? It's showing off to listen to your iPod? I thought the whole point is for it to be portable so you can listen to music while walking around. As for reading on the bus or train, of course. If I have a bus or train (or plane) ride somewhere, I always have a book or two with me. That's not showing off, that's killing time, not to mention keeping you out of trouble for looking at the wrong person.

11. Mar 6, 2005 #10
    Finally. Someone who is on the level.

The Bob (2004 ©)

12. Mar 6, 2005 #11

Janitor

Science Advisor

Why can't orthodontists bring back that hoop of stainless steel wire that runs around the front of your face? I think that would be a great accessory to go with my hearing aid and my thick bifocals.

13. Mar 6, 2005 #12

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Someone is being judgemental..

14. Mar 6, 2005 #13

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd love to be able to get out my iPod, Pocket PC and phone when I'm travelling. Not to show off, just because then I've got them to hand and don't have to fanny about reaching into pockets and stuff. The reality is that I'd get stabbed if I flashed them about, so they stay hidden.

15. Mar 6, 2005 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:surprised Yipes!

16. Mar 6, 2005 #15

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why are you guys so scared to "flash" an iPod or Pocket PC?

I have never been threaten or anything because I carry mine around.

People are not just being judgemental, but paranoid as well.

17. Mar 6, 2005 #16

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because my student life is in Manchester, where you can't walk down the street talking on a mobile phone without it being snatched. Back home in Sheffield, I'd happily walk around with a bar of gold. But here, showing anything shiny in public is asking for a mugging. I can think of 5 or 6 of my friends who have been mugged at knifepoint in the past 18 months, and another 5 or 6 who just had things snatched.

It's not paranoia, it's common sense.

18. Mar 6, 2005 #17
    In public, I can stand Ipods, but in schools and colleges, I can't stand students who wear their Ipods between classes, freakin' phonies...

19. Mar 6, 2005 #18

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I listen to music all the time.

You guys judge alot.

It's only freaking music. What about you and you're laptops? What about you and you're constant studying?

It's only freaking music.

20. Mar 6, 2005 #19
    most of the books I enjoy reading make me look like a snob to the people who don't understand them

21. Mar 6, 2005 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree with you on this! If someone was listening to music during class, or walking around bragging to everyone about their new iPod, that would be rude and obnoxious, but just to listen to it when you're walking between classes, that's what they are intended for. Is it jealousy that's evoking these extreme reactions? I can't think of any other reason someone would be so upset about someone else choosing to quietly listen to music.

Going back even to the original question, I don't even understand why the color of the wire or earbuds makes any difference??? The whole point of earbuds was to have something smaller than the older earphones that you couldn't hide; back when I was in high school, kids used to try to wear the earphones with the band behind their neck to try to hide it under their hair so the teachers wouldn't see they were sneaking the walkmans into school (we only had walkmans back then, big clunky things compared to what you have now). Now, I'd laugh and think someone was being pretentious if they were wearing the earbuds and didn't have them plugged into anything, you know, just using them as accessories or something...LOL.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?