1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Snoopy is killing me here

1. Nov 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

All right, so: dog on a boat. It's the snoopy problem. There's a boat floating on some water, and there's a dog on the end - he starts at X away from the shore. Then, he walks a length L across the boat towards the shore. How far is he away from the shore at the end?

2. Relevant equations

m1r1 + m2r2 = (m1 + m2)rcm

3. The attempt at a solution

As far as I can get is to set the center of mass as X at the beginning.

Mboat * Xi + Mdog * Xi = (Mboat + Mdog)Xi

and then the dog walks L towards the shore and I am not sure how to set this equation up.

Mboat * (Xi + L) + Mdog * (Xi - L) = (Mboat + Mdog) Xi

See, I know the center of mass doesn't move, because the system is isolated and the only forces are internal. However, I don't know how to make the positions relative - this equation would work if the problem literally stated he walks a length L towards the shore (his new position obviously would be Xi - L) but it says he walks length L down the boat, which means the boat moves too and he doesn't quite make the distance L from an external observer's point of view.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

In the given problem, the center of mass of boat and dog are not at Xi. Only CM of dog is at Xi. Let d be the CM of boat.
    Now CM of (boat + dog) will be -------(1)
    As you have said CM of the system remains the same. So when dog walks a length L towards the shore, CM of boat must move away from the shore. Let this be x. Now new position of the dog is [(X - L) + x] and new CM of boat wiil be (d + x). Find the CM of ( dog + boat) in this position and equate it to eq(1) and find x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook