Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Snow Day

1. Feb 13, 2007 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

OK, so who else is having a Snow Day today?

Argonne is scheduled to open at Noon the earliest (I have doubts that they will). So I'm taking the day off. This means that I will be bored all day and will hang out even more on PF. This may or may not be good!

:biggrin:

I'm just glad I'm not traveling anywhere today.

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm expecting to go home in a couple days...as soon as things let up a little. I've come prepared to spend the next 2 days straight in the department.

4. Feb 13, 2007 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[​IMG]

5. Feb 13, 2007 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm home, but the university isn't closed. We didn't get all that much snow, but there seemed to be a thin layer of ice under it from some rain we had last night before the snow started. I was up early and ready to head out when I looked out the window one more time and watched one car skid into a ditch and two others fishtail up the hill in front of where I live. Since the drive for our development enters the road right at the bottom of the hill, I know I can't get a running start at it, so decided to just stay home.

The snow has now turned to rain, and the plow and salt truck finally came through, so I could go to work now, but I've already called everyone and told them I'm working from home for the day, told the technician he can wait until tomorrow to do what I had asked him to do today if he didn't want to risk getting stuck in bad weather (once he starts, it's about a 6 hour process that can't be stopped), told the grad student I was supposed to meet with who has to drive the same road in that passes by my house to stay home and not risk his neck on that road, and had the vet who was at the farm anyway take care of all my post-operative sheep. So, I have no reason to go anywhere now (sometimes it's nice being the boss). I anticipated much worse weather than we got, so have all my paperwork for the next two days home with me (had I not lugged everything home with me, I'd probably be buried in snow up to my ears).

Oh well, time to go out and shovel the driveway before the next layer arrives (though, I'm looking out and watching the neighbor shoveling, and it looks like some nasty, heavy, wet snow, even though it's only a thin layer :yuck:). The weather report seems to suggest we've only gotten the tip of this storm so far.

6. Feb 13, 2007 #5

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm home too, schools are closed etc....I suspect that I'll be in office tommorow.

I'll be more a pain in the **** to the posters also today.

7. Feb 13, 2007 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The ice storm started around 6pm yesterday, then turned to snow in the middle of the night. There aren't very many people at work, my director just came by and thanked me for being here.

8. Feb 13, 2007 #7

Astronuc

It hasn't happened here yet. This evening and tomorrow we have snow predicted - 12 +/- 6 inches, but they don't know yet which area will get the peak snow. Tomorrow will likely be a snow day.

At least it's not 10 feet of snow. :biggrin:

9. Feb 13, 2007 #8

ranger

Gold Member

We're expecting it to start snowing by mid afternoon or something like that. Can't wait! Especially since today I have evening classes. I love the snow!

10. Feb 13, 2007 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, it was definitely a slushy snow with a crust of ice beneath. It's just a steady rain now. We're along the bottom edge of where that storm front is moving, so we could get anything or nothing. We could get hit with more snow, or it might stay rain, or we might get nothing. But, given the slush already on the roads, and the rain currently falling, once the temperatures start dropping toward evening again, it's sure to be ice overnight and into tomorrow morning. I'm glad I'm home, because if it starts freezing over near the end of the work day, getting home is even scarier than getting to work (uphill is tough getting to work, but coming home, it's downhill and can turn into an interesting adventure skiing in a car).

11. Feb 13, 2007 #10

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I want 10 feet of snow........

12. Feb 13, 2007 #11
    I drew the late shift today, so I'll be driveing home around 10 tonight. We should have about 6 inches by then.

:frown: I never get a snow day.

13. Feb 13, 2007 #12

Evo

:yuck: Three feet in one storm is the most I've ever had. I lived next door to three Navy Seals that happened to be home. I woke up to the sound of them shoveling my sidewalk up to my doorway. :smile:

14. Feb 13, 2007 #13
    I hope you invited them in for cocoa.

15. Feb 13, 2007 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No fair!! :grumpy: The last time I remember getting a full 3 ft of snow in a single storm, I was home on break from college. I was the designated snow shoveler! :cry: We always had at least one storm of 18" to 2' each winter when I lived in MI (and people there always acted like they'd never seen that much snow in their life each year when it hit, which baffled me...I had expected much worse than that when I moved there), but I lived in apartments there, so someone else was in charge of shoveling sidewalks and parking lots...though, that wasn't necessarily ideal when they just plowed the snow into big piles behind all the cars. :mad: Instead of shoveling 2 ft of snow from a driveway, it was more like 3-4' of packed ice to chisel through to get the car out after those storms. My last house had retaining walls along both sides of the driveway, so that was a huge pain to shovel too. So, I'm glad I finally live someplace that doesn't get much snow anyway, and I can just push the snow easily without having to toss it over a 6' wall or carry it all the way to the end of the driveway. (Next house will NOT have a retaining wall along the driveway!)

16. Feb 13, 2007 #15

Astronuc

During the biggest snow we had - that big blizzard that shutdown the eastcoast, I wasn't home - but my wife was.

They had about 24 inches on top of what was already on the ground.

I was stranded in Charlotte, NC for two and half days - eating breakfast, lunch and dinner at Cracker Barrell. :grumpy: :yuck: We did go to the Waffle House across the street for something different - although it really wasn't so different.

What was sad was that we were 15 minutes from landing at LaGuardia airport when they closed it, and we had to turn around and fly back to Charlotte, which took about 1.5 hrs. They just couldn't land at a nearby airport 80 miles away which was open (and stayed open during that period). :rolleyes: :mad:

17. Feb 13, 2007 #16

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh boy, oh boy, I hope we get a snow day tomorrow! I have homework due at 1:40 pm tomorrow, and I really could use the extra time. :blushing:

18. Feb 13, 2007 #17

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

We started the morning with a freezing drizzle that's been varying between a drizzle and a thin snow. We'll wind up with 1 to 3 inches. One of those dreary gray days where I'm tempted to close the blinds - just looking outside makes me cold.

Interesting visuals on the way to work through the freezing drizzle. A black trash bag had blown up against a barb wire fence. First look at it and I thought, "Wow, great, the grim reaper. That's a great sign!"

19. Feb 13, 2007 #18
    There is a tree by the side of the E-way that collects bags, and then proudly waves them all winter as some kind of bizarre urban art form.

20. Feb 13, 2007 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: How quickly you've adjusted back to being a student again! :rofl:

21. Feb 13, 2007 #20

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They just announced that school is closed for the afternoon. Everyone's gone home...except, it seems, the Physics majors. Perhaps they didn't get the news?

This is only the third time in over 50 years that they've closed school due to weather.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?