1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Snow Shovelling

1. Oct 9, 2005 #1
    Hey,

The problem:
    "At a given day there there are 10cm of snow in your sidewalk. Estimate how much work is required to remove this snow when you sidewalk has a length =10m and a width= 1.5m. Assume that a liter snow weighs about the same as 100ml water. Discuss any assumptions youve made."

if you plan to remove the snow (so it wont disturn your neighbours) youll have to move it from the center of the width and out to both sides. The work required to move snow from the center of the sidewalk equals W=F*x, where x is distance and F is the force you push the snow with m_snow*a_snow minus friction (neglected).. how should i proceed? I think one could derive an diff. equation and integrate it, but i dont see how..

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2005 #2

lightgrav

Homework Helper

If you neglect friction, how much Force is required to push 1 kilogram sideways?

This is a "concept" question, not a "compute it" question.
    I would avoid integration by multiplying (total * average).
    Whether you use total Force and average distance, or
    total distance and average Force, is up to you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?