Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Snow snow snow snow

1. Jan 27, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because we don't usually get too much, we look forward to a good snowfall. For us, having an inch or two on the ground is a once or twice a year treat. This year we haven't had any significant snow at our place and the forecasters were promising that we would get some, but holy cow! We have gotten about 4 inches since 4AM, and it is expected to continue coming down steadily through tomorrow. This could end up being a record for us!

Damn! Forgot to get catfood!!!! But it sure is beautiful out there. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2008 #2
    Congratulations! Send some my way!

4. Jan 27, 2008 #3
    Ok, now I'm jealous. Here in Portland we just got rain. I was hoping for a snow day at work tonight. Doesn't look like it's going to happen.

5. Jan 27, 2008 #4
    It's snowing here to pretty good, I was going to go out and pick up a few things but someone just got into a fender bender right outside my apartment so I think I will just stay in and away from the idiot drivers out there.

6. Jan 27, 2008 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yesterdays forecast called for snow here in the Seattle area, so of course we have sunny blue skies. Cold, though.

Poor kitty! Are you going to be a good cat-dad and trudge through the snow for cat food?

7. Jan 27, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We've been getting the most bizarre weather here. Every time we get some nice, pretty snow, it is followed by rain that turns it to slush or completely melts it away. Though, right now, we have a very pretty dusting on everything...just the right amount that the mountains are snow-covered and pretty, but the roads are clear and safe to drive on. We do have sort of an ice/snow effect thing going on at the farm where a hose bib has burst over the weekend...it's just misting and freezing as it mists now...sort of like a snow machine. :rolleyes: As long as it's misting, at least that means the rest of the line isn't frozen yet, so it'll wait until tomorrow to get fixed. But, nothing out there seems to be working. We have little space heaters under every sink because the heat in the building isn't working and none of the pipes to the sinks are insulated, and of course they were all placed on poorly insulated outside walls. We're heating part of the building with a freezer (no, I'm not kidding...the freezer is pumping out heat and they tell us they won't fix it until they have 3 days of no snow, so I'm guessing that means they'll get around to it in April...we had 3 days of rain and I told the building manager to call them and tell them to get their butts out there since there was no snow, but apparently that doesn't make them happy either :rolleyes:), and since we don't have a freezer, I've been using the loading dock and my grad student's pick-up truck as a freezer during the experiments we've been running where we need to keep things on ice. *shakes head* I'm glad that at least it's cold enough outside to keep things frozen without a proper freezer.

8. Jan 27, 2008 #7
    Yep, we haven't gotten snow this bad since 1993. Damn Global Warming!

9. Jan 27, 2008 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey Huckleberry, I didn't realize that you live in Portland. Yeah, well, I can't tell you how many times Matt Zaffino has promised snow, and you got lots but we got none. :cry:

We are looking to be socked in until tomorrow night. And we are breaking 32 degrees just long enought to provide for a nice layer of ice when it refreezes in a few hours.

As for the kitty Einstein, it looks he will have to gum the dry food. :biggrin: We actually have plenty of dry, but at 17, poor little buddy hardly has any teeth and needs to eat Fancy Feast.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  10. Jan 27, 2008 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hope Tsu doesn't need to drive to work in that! I know those in healthcare don't often get much of a choice (and those of us teaching those going into healthcare don't either, since we're breaking them in to the idea that they have to get to work/school no matter how horrid the weather).

Make a slurry by soaking it in water. Not too appetizing looking, but edible. Or, if it's just for a day or two, if you have any ground beef in the house, you can boil that with some rice for him. Not entirely perfect nutrition, but good enough to keep him fed until you can get on the roads again.

11. Jan 27, 2008 #10
    Yeah, been here about two years now since I moved from Mass. I was gone [edit-from this site]for about a year and when I came back to the site I learned that Franzbear was killed by Yomamma. Can you imagine my disappointment? Lots of snow on the east coast this year. My dad tells me about it every time I call.

Hey, ice will work for me. That should still get me a night off from work to enjoy a long weekend. I just hope it isn't like last year with all the accidents.

Wow, that's quite a respectable age for a cat. He's almost as old as my brother. My brother still has most of his teeth though, but he did have his wisdom teeth removed recently.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  12. Jan 27, 2008 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We have been having heavy rainstorms for the last few weeks in Los Angeles. Glad I bought some galoshes.

The winds frequently knock out the power here and I am thinking about getting a kerosene lamp. I have to do lots of reading at night, and using the flashlight doesn't cut it.

13. Jan 27, 2008 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As our old farm manager used to say, "Always wear your rubbers!" :biggrin:

14. Jan 27, 2008 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good advice! :rofl:

15. Jan 27, 2008 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's about the same with Jelly. I get her those little Temptations cat treats that are crunchy on the outside and soft inside and she manages OK with those, but she avoids regular dry food now.

16. Jan 27, 2008 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Too much fat is the biggest concern with human food?

17. Jan 27, 2008 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Probably. Cats are primarily carnivorous, and cooking the meat destroys some vitamins, so it could just be the cooking that is the issue for them. Don't you have any mice lying around you could feed him? :biggrin:

18. Jan 27, 2008 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Heh, even Bun hasn't managed to find any today. :biggrin:

As you may know, normally I get my daily offering. I thank her and then throw it outside when she isn't looking; and then tell her that I ate it. Unfortunately, she often finds it and brings it back anyway.

19. Jan 27, 2008 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: This is the advantage of having an indoor-only cat. I only get gifts of twist ties (that's what Ember "hunts"). I did see the farm cat running around with a rather large rat not long ago though, and have seen a hawk on the farm standing over a pile of pigeon feathers a few times (usually I'll pass the hawk with a pigeon on the way in, and by the time I leave, there's nothing left but feathers).

20. Jan 27, 2008 #19

turbo

Gold Member

In HS, I had a girlfriend whose cat would meet her on the back step after school every day and show here what he had killed that day. She'd tell him what a good hunter he was and rub his ears, and he would take his prize off somewhere and eat it.

21. Jan 27, 2008 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have often wondered if this is not the same instinct that we see in hunters and fishermen.

Even bees dance in front of their friends when they find a good stash. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?