Snowboarding Physics: Turning & Center of Mass

• Thread starter Mash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of creating a snowboarding game and the desire for realistic physics. Gravity has been implemented and the next step is to incorporate turning using the snowboarder's center of mass and friction. The snowboarder turns by leaning and shifting weight to one edge of the board, creating a torque and slowing down. A recommended resource for further understanding of game physics is "Physics for Game Developers" by O'Reilly.
Mash
Hey there,

I am trying to make a snowboarding game and want relatively realistic physics involved.

I have implemented gravity and now the snowboarder slides down the hill with appropriate acceleration.

My next step is to implement turning. I will treat the snowboarder as if he is a particle so I don't have to deal with torque or angular momentum.

Could anybody explain how the snowboarder changes direction as is center of mass shifts to the edge of the board?

Thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to turn you have to model friction.
The snowboarder turns by leaning to put more weight on one edge which digs into the snow, icnreases friction and slows down - putting a toque (turning force) on the board.
O'Reilly has a good book "physics for game developers" which incidentaly is also a very clear textbook treatment of dynamics.

Hi there,

I can provide some insight into the physics behind snowboarding and turning. When a snowboarder turns on their board, there are two main forces at play: the centripetal force and the frictional force.

The centripetal force is what keeps the snowboarder moving in a curved path, and it is directed towards the center of the turn. This force is created by the snowboarder's own weight and the normal force from the snow. As the snowboarder shifts their weight to the edge of the board, their center of mass also shifts towards that edge. This causes the normal force to shift towards the edge as well, creating a larger centripetal force and allowing the snowboarder to turn.

The frictional force is what allows the snowboarder to maintain control and stability while turning. As the snowboarder's edge digs into the snow, the frictional force acts in the opposite direction of their motion, helping to slow them down and maintain balance.

In order to accurately simulate turning in your game, you will need to take into account the snowboarder's weight, the normal force, and the frictional force. You may also want to consider the angle of the slope and the type of snow (e.g. powder vs packed snow) as these factors can affect the amount of friction and therefore the turning ability of the snowboarder.

I hope this information helps in your game development. Good luck!

1. How does a snowboard turn?

A snowboard turns by shifting the weight and center of mass of the rider. When the rider leans in a certain direction, the center of mass also shifts, causing the snowboard to turn in that direction.

2. What is the role of the center of mass in snowboarding?

The center of mass is the point at which all of the body's mass is concentrated. In snowboarding, the center of mass plays a crucial role in turning and balancing. Shifting the center of mass helps to control the direction and speed of the snowboard.

3. How does the shape and size of a snowboard affect turning?

The shape and size of a snowboard can impact turning in several ways. A wider snowboard provides more surface area and stability, making it easier to turn. A longer snowboard allows for smoother and more controlled turns. Additionally, the shape of the snowboard's sidecut can also affect the turning radius.

4. What is the difference between carving and skidding in snowboarding?

Carving refers to making smooth, clean turns on the edge of the snowboard, using the board's shape and sidecut to guide the turn. Skidding, on the other hand, is when the snowboard slides across the snow, rather than cutting into it. Carving is generally considered a more advanced and efficient technique, while skidding is often used by beginners or in certain situations, such as steep or icy slopes.

5. How does the angle of the snowboard affect turning?

The angle of the snowboard, or the degree to which it is tilted on its edge, can greatly impact turning. A larger angle means a tighter turn, while a smaller angle results in a wider turn. The angle of the snowboard is controlled by shifting the weight and center of mass, as well as the pressure applied to the snowboard's edges.