Recent Snowstorm Pile-Up | Fredericton, New Brunswick

• Thread starter George Jones
  • Start date
In summary, the recent snowstorm has caused many accidents and has motivated Evo to post about it on his taxi/ice storm thread.
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Evo's taxi/ice storm thread has motivated me to post about our recent snowstorm.

Take a look at what happened to us yesterday; final exams were canceled. The footage from 0:50 until 1:45 is of a pile-up on a downslope that is just a two-minute walk from my apartment. Right-click and zoom to Full screen. Video changes at 5 pm est tonight.

http://www.cbc.ca/video/popup.html?http://www.cbc.ca/ondemand/newsatsix/fredericton.asx

This morning, before I caught the bus, I had to unbury our car (so my wife could use it) from the naturally deposited snow, and and that piled against it by the snow-plough.

Physics news on Phys.org
How 'bout that 10th car?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Wow, that's really bad. Our Las Vegas location is closing due to snow. Something I never thought I'd hear.

Hope you and your wife are safe George.

physics girl phd said:
How 'bout that 10th car?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I doubt that the police delivered their standard lecture: "You should know better. You should know that in wintry conditions you need to slow down, to give yourself plenty of room to stop, blah blah blah." :biggrin:
Evo said:
Hope you and your wife are safe George.

My wife and little daughter didn't venture outside yesterday, and I took the bus to and from work. My daughter wanted to join the big kids who were playing outside in the snow, but my wife told her that the kids were too big. All the elementary schools and high schools were closed.

The streets aren't perfect today, but they're much better after being ploughed, sanded, and salted.

We got that one before it hit you, George. Practically zero visibility in places due to blowing snow, and the speed limits on Interstate 95 were reduced to 40 and 45 mph depending on the section, though often the traffic was crawling along at 30 or less. Lots of vehicles off the road and a few collisions here and there. Cops and wreckers had a busy day!

We had snow last week here in Baton Rouge. First time I've seen snow since I was 1 or 2. I didn't go anywhere since I don't trust bus drivers in Louisiana to be able to drive through snow.

It is interesting how the front wheel drive vehicles were lifted up and onto the hoods of the front wheel drive cars that hit them. That is a novel way to absorb energy.

Lethal here in Vancouver - tips for drivers in 5cm of snow:

In snow and ice perhaps you could let go of the coffee and cell phone while driving

Your 4ton SUV slides a lot further on ice than a Smart car.

The four wheel drive does bugger-all when all 4 wheels are sliding sideways on snow.
Fortunately stamping on the ABS brakes in a panic is exactly the right thing to do.

If you have an empty rear wheel drive pickup, the back wheels are spinning because there is no weight on them, rev-ing the engine higher does not add mass.

I know it's officially daylight - but in driving snow would you please turn on your lights so I can at least aim to miss you.

"I dare not brake in case I skid, so I have to go through all orange and red lights" - is not a well thought out strategy.

ps. In a country where it is often snowy why do the police drive Crown Victorias with all the handling characteristics of a supertanker?

Speaking of sliding cars...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM2gLjfE_3Y

I wouldn't try to get out of the car...

noumed said:
Speaking of sliding cars...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM2gLjfE_3Y

I wouldn't try to get out of the car...

This might work better.

The key is to get a little extra braking action. Your tires might slide, but sticking something in front of your car that will catch and pile up the snow means you have to stop eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jBumIFwreA&feature=related

You know, a good wife wouldn't scream so much when doing that for you.

Evo said:
Wow, that's really bad. Our Las Vegas location is closing due to snow. Something I never thought I'd hear.

This is just not how I think of Vegas...

2c4f4b6a-6173-42f8-b87a-584e35395beb.jpg

but there you have it!

I was thinking of going to grad school up north, but all these snow horror stories have me afraid. o_o

Vid said:
I was thinking of going to grad school up north, but all these snow horror stories have me afraid. o_o

Horror stories? What horror stories? :biggrin:

When I lived on a tropical island for two years, I missed all this.

What caused the recent snowstorm in Fredericton, New Brunswick?

The recent snowstorm in Fredericton, New Brunswick was caused by a low pressure system that moved into the area, bringing cold air and moisture from the Atlantic Ocean. This combination created heavy snowfall and strong winds.

How much snow accumulated during the recent snowstorm in Fredericton, New Brunswick?

The exact amount of snow accumulation during the recent snowstorm in Fredericton, New Brunswick may vary, but it is estimated that the city received anywhere from 30-50 cm (12-20 inches) of snow.

Were there any power outages during the recent snowstorm in Fredericton, New Brunswick?

Yes, there were power outages reported during the recent snowstorm in Fredericton, New Brunswick. The heavy snow and strong winds caused tree branches to break and fall on power lines, resulting in thousands of residents losing power for several hours.

How did the recent snowstorm in Fredericton, New Brunswick affect transportation?

The recent snowstorm in Fredericton, New Brunswick caused major disruptions to transportation. Many roads were covered in snow, making driving dangerous, and several flights at the local airport were cancelled or delayed due to the weather conditions. Public transportation also experienced delays and cancellations.

What precautions should residents take during a snowstorm like the recent one in Fredericton, New Brunswick?

During a snowstorm, it is important for residents to stay informed about weather updates and advisories, avoid unnecessary travel, and take precautions to keep themselves and their homes safe. This may include stocking up on food and supplies, clearing snow from walkways and driveways, and using caution when using heating sources such as fireplaces and space heaters.