Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Snug Fit

1. Jul 24, 2007 #1
    What is a Snug Fit?
    Where is it used?

I have come across slip fit, press fit.....
    But not snug fit.

Please explain.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

"Snug" comes up under the locational clearance (LC) class of fits and limits.

As per Machinery's Handbook:
    "Snug" is a bit of a dangerous word to use because it can mean different things to different people. To me, "snug" means a clearance fit that is just slightly over line-to-line. I use this kind of fit for something like a guide pin that locates the cover of a gearbox. In the gearbox, the pin is pressed into the case, but has a very slight clearance fit to allow removal and installation of the cover while still keeping a pretty good control over the cover's location.
  4. Jul 24, 2007 #3

Gold Member

I had no idea that there were different classes of fits. Cool.
    It seems that you use 'snug' pretty much as I do. To me, it's something that can be assembled or disassembled with moderate manual effort using no tools, such as the adjustment nut on a pair of pliers or the cover plate on a clockwork mechanism.
  5. Jul 25, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Generally goes as:

Sliding fit = it can slide in out
    Snug fit = you can push it in by hand
    Interference fit = you can put it in with a press
    Hammer fit = slightly optomistic Interference fit
    <insert your company name> fit = doesn't fit at all.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  6. Jul 25, 2007 #5

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?