1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

##SO(3)## generators

1. Jan 26, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using the commutation relations ##[x,p_x] = i\hbar## etc, together with the ##SO(3)## generators ##J_k (k=x,y,z)## in their operator form to calculate ##[J_x, \mathbf{r}]## and ##[J_x, \mathbf{p}]## where ##r = (x, y, z)## and ##p = (p_x, p_y, p_z)##.

Then show that ##[J_k, r^2]=0##.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can't find the operator forms anywhere. I have looked on the internet and in textbooks, but nowhere does it specifically state that a particular form is the 'operator' form. Is it just these matrices:
    ##
    \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
    0& 0 & 0 \\
    0& 0 & 1 \\
    0& -1 & 0 \end{array} \right) ##
    ##
    0& 0 & -1 \\
    0& 0 & 0 \\
    1& & 0 \end{array} \right) ##
    ##
    0& 1 & 0 \\
    -1& 0 & 0 \\
    0& 0 & 0 \end{array} \right) ##
    Even if that's the case how could I show ##[J_k, r^2]=0##? ##J_k## could be any one of the three. Do I have to show it for all of them?
    Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2017 #2

strangerep

Science Advisor

What textbook or lecture notes are you using? (I'd have thought the operator form of the ##J_k## would have been provided.)
    I'm guessing you're meant to use the angular momentum generators ##{\mathbf J} = {\mathbf r}\times{\mathbf p}##. In component form, this is ##J_i = \epsilon_{ijk} r_j p_k## (using implicit summation over repeated indices).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted