So cold in England right now

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
It got down to -1C in Tucson AZ tonight.

Yea but 23C during the day (predicted for tomorrow).

Ouabache
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I have a difficulty to understand wolram's English
As Borek also alluded, Wooly uses fun words sometimes. If any look confusing, just search as strings (in quotation marks), along with either british, aussie or "cockney rhyme". example - http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bra1.htm" [Broken]..
and http://www.dagree.net/aussieslang/slang_t.html" [Broken]..(look down that page).

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Not cold enough here. Apparently the weather got a bit too warm near Tacoma, WA.

Melting snow causes heavy flooding in Wash. state
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090108/ap_on_re_us/winter_weather [Broken]
SNOQUALMIE, Wash. – Rain and high winds lashed Washington state Wednesday, causing widespread avalanches, mudslides, flooding and road closures as the heavy snowfall that has buried parts of the state began to rapidly melt. More than 30,000 people were told to leave their homes in a flood-endangered valley southeast of Tacoma, as authorities warned of heavy flooding.

"This is going to be a memorable flood event," said Andy Haner, a National Weather Service meteorologist in Seattle.

Fire trucks rolled through Orting, about 10 miles southeast of Tacoma, with loudspeakers advising everyone to leave the town and surrounding valley, home to about 26,000 people. Sandbags were placed around many downtown homes and businesses as the Puyallup River neared record levels.

"They expect the town of Orting to go under water," Pierce County sheriff's Detective Ed Troyer said, adding that the flooding could be the worst in more than a decade.

. . . .

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Not cold enough here. Apparently the weather got a bit too warm near Tacoma, WA.

Melting snow causes heavy flooding in Wash. state
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090108/ap_on_re_us/winter_weather [Broken]

I work in Tacoma, and (obviously) live nearby. Yes, I can confirm that it's been extraordinarily wet here...and coming from Western Washington (rainy Seattle), that's saying a lot!

I love the sound of rainfall, but I had to put in earplugs to get to sleep last night, it was so loud.

Danger
Gold Member
Jeez, Woolie, but you are a whiney little bloke. :tongue:
I have no tolerance for cold weather, and was strolling around outside in my T-shirt and sweat pants today because it went up to -14° C. That's picnic weather in Alberta. :rolleyes:

That's great ! Lakes are frozen in Belgium. It's nice to go right at the middle of it and remember summer when you were on the edge, watching the exact point you're now standing on.

The last time we could walk on the lake was 7 years ago, and since this is a "student-city" (not really a campus actually), it's pretty new to everyone and quite amazing... ;-)

Its -11 C here tonight, and up to 12 more inches of snow expected.

In winter of Korea,
snow falling day is warm and sun shining day is cold,
because of dry continental high pressure in Mongolia and Siberia.

Yesterday night, temprature was -10 C.
Because of gale, sensory temperature was -20 C.
Feeling of winter coldness is described as
"coldness such as tearing skin by knife." in Korean language

but sky is clean, and sun is shining bright.
so it is not glooming day.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
In winter of Korea,
snow falling day is warm and sun shining day is cold,
because of dry continental high pressure in Mongolia and Siberia.

Yesterday night, temprature was -10 C.
Because of gale, sensory temperature was -20 C.
Feeling of winter coldness is described as
"coldness such as tearing skin by knife." in Korean language

but sky is clean, and sun is shining bright.
so it is not glooming day.

Wow, that's like beautiful poetry! Wonderful - thanks!

I think Michigan should adopt the whole "coldness such as tearing skin by knife" motto. It really describes winters here too.

Danger
Gold Member
It really describes winters here too.
Well, yeah... you have that whole humidity thing happening. When I lived down there, -20 C felt colder than -45 does here. That's without windchill factors.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
OK - the US is very competitive, so -

Shocking cold wave drops temps to 40 below zero
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090114/ap_on_re_us/snowstorm [Broken]

MINNEAPOLIS – Temperatures crashed to Arctic levels Tuesday as a severe cold wave rolled across the upper Midwest on the heels of yet another snowstorm, closing schools and making most people think twice before going outside. Early Wednesday, the cold front swept into New York, sending temperatures falling from the 30s a day before to single digits or below zero. It hit 8 below in Massena, on the St. Lawrence River in northern New York, with the wind chill making it feel like minus 25 degrees.

In Michigan, temperatures Wednesday morning ranged from minus 17 at Ironwood in the western Upper Peninsula to 10 degrees in the southwestern Lower Peninsula and 12 on Beaver Island. Ironwood earlier recorded a temperature of minus 23.
. . . .
Some Minnesotans took it as just another winter day, even in the state's extreme northwest corner where thermometers bottomed out at 38 degrees below zero at the town of Hallock and the National Weather Service said the wind chill was a shocking 58 below.
. . . .

When I leave for work in the morning it will be a shivering -21 C, or -6 F{actual with out wind chill}. Its been snowing most of the day, and road salt is not working at 9 F. It took me almost 2 hours to make the 40 minute drive home.

So Cold (song):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTiGlNDnOtE

Excuse my sarcasm.

turbo
Gold Member
Not so bad here ... yet. We have topped out at 7.5 deg F, though the winds today made outdoor activity uncomfortable for the unprepared. I had to shovel the stuff that the plows pushed back so that my newpapers and mail can be delivered, and I neglected to wear a hat with ear-flaps. Very soon, I was reminded of an old frostbite injury (ear-lobe). Temps are supposed to be lower for the next few days - winter is here. The wood stove is hungrier than normal during these cold winds, but I've got plenty of "food" saved up for it.

Greg, you really don't need to send it over to Michigan, not that we don't love your gifts, but please no more cold, stick to cheese:!!)

Evo
Mentor
More than a million wait in icy darkness across US

Well over a million people shivered in ice-bound homes across the country Wednesday, waiting for warmer weather and for utility crews to restring power lines brought down by a storm that killed 23 as it took a snowy, icy journey from the Southern Plains to the East Coast.

But with temperatures plunging, utility officials warned that it could be mid-February before electricity is restored to some of the hardest-hit places. The worst of the power failures were in Kentucky, Arkansas and Ohio.

Just getting to their source was difficult for utility crews. Ice-encrusted tree limbs and power lines blocked glazed roads, and cracking limbs pierced the air like popping gunfire as they snapped.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090128/ap_on_re_us/winter_storm [Broken]

turbo
Gold Member
More than a million wait in icy darkness across US

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090128/ap_on_re_us/winter_storm [Broken]
We had a really bad ice-storm here years ago during an uncharacteristic warm winter spell. We had no power for a week (some people had no power for a month) and in the days immediately after the storm, I spent my time helping the doctors that I worked for keep their houses heated (powering their furnaces with generators) and it was surreal spending time outside. Every few minutes or less, you'd hear a crack like a rifle-shot as another tree split or fell and think "there are some more power lines down" since in Waterville most of the largest trees were big elms, oaks, and maples lining the streets, where the overhead power lines ran.

I ***** about the heavy snow-fall but I'd much rather have snow than ice.

Edit: [female dog]