Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So cold

1. Jan 7, 2009 #1

wolram

Gold Member

For England that is, it is not often we gets this brass monkeys, looking out at the jack i saw one poor tin lid fall on his queen mum, it is minus 10c and jack has layed a carpet about 1/4 inch thick every where, dad had a minor operation cancelled because of an influx of accidents, and a local farmer told me he is having to strap hot water bottles to the cows udders before he can milk them, so what the bell's happened to the peoples heating?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Only -5 here now, but -18 at night. Day before it was even colder.

It is getting cloudy and windy, and it blows from the west, so it may bring warm Atlantic air.

edit: deg C that is. -18C means 0F.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  4. Jan 7, 2009 #3
    It got down to -1C in Tucson AZ tonight.

5. Jan 7, 2009 #4
    I have a difficulty to understand wolram's English

6. Jan 7, 2009 #5

Borek

Don't feel alone, his rebuses are famous between PFers.

7. Jan 7, 2009 #6

Astronuc

It's called 'Winter'. :biggrin:

We had snow last night, then sleet, then rain. It's all a sheet of ice now (1/2 inch, 1 cm), and we have sleet and freezing rain at the moment.

The temperature is about 30F (-1C), but it may increase a little during the day. It may go up or down overnight depending on which way the atmosphere moves.

8. Jan 7, 2009 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Personally, I like it better when the person almost falls, but barely recovers, then tries to move on nonchalantly like nothing happened. It reminds me of the Teabury shuffle commercials.

9. Jan 7, 2009 #8

wolram

Gold Member

lol.

10. Jan 7, 2009 #9

turbo

Gold Member

Currently 17deg F (about the high for the day) and snowing. We could get about 10" before tomorrow morning, so I'll clear it then. Hoping for a calm after the storm so I don't have to have the light fluffy snow blown back into my face every few seconds. BTW, the wind is out of the East, indicating that the storm's center has passed to the East of us, and is sweeping moisture off the ocean and dumping it back inland. Some of our biggest "surprise" snowfalls have resulted from such classic Nor'Easters. Fingers crossed that it moves NE quickly and plagues the Maritimes instead.

(sorry george!)

11. Jan 7, 2009 #10
    It's always summer in Los Angeles :P

12. Jan 7, 2009 #11
    And perhaps Russia's cut off your gas supply?

13. Jan 7, 2009 #12

turbo

Gold Member

And in San Diego, too. My nephew's home port, and where his wife and daughter live. He has recently been commissioned as a Warrant Officer, and when he completes his training in his new specialty, he and the family will have to move to the chilly climes of Hawaii, probably until he and his wife retire.

14. Jan 7, 2009 #13
    It's Ukraine, not Russia...
    The government there has gone completely crazy because of the economic depression.

15. Jan 7, 2009 #14

Astronuc

It's Russian gas, which they sell to Ukraine's Naftogas, and other E. European countries. When Russia cut off Ukraine, they cut Europe as well.

Time to look for an alternate energy supply.

16. Jan 7, 2009 #15

wolram

Gold Member

I would settle for (chilly climes), even the most robust oldie feels the cold.

17. Jan 7, 2009 #16

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've got an electric blanked, it would be a good excuse to need to stay in bed all day :tongue:

18. Jan 7, 2009 #17

Astronuc

19. Jan 7, 2009 #18

Pythagorean

Gold Member

-40 here

Do I win?

20. Jan 7, 2009 #19

turbo

Gold Member

For today...

Actually, I had to deal with temps in the minus-30's frequently when I was a ski patrol member on a very windy mountain in northern Maine. We had to wait until the temps soared to the minus-20's before we could pre-ski the trails and dispatch groomers to bust drifts, cover ice, etc, to the trails would be safe for paying customers. We very rarely get -40 in Maine.

21. Jan 7, 2009 #20

Pythagorean

Gold Member

It's the norm here, in the winter. Then we get 80 degree summers. A good 120 degree temperature difference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?