So confused Kinematics in one dimension

In summary, a hot air balloon and a pellet fired from a gun both have the same altitude at two points along their paths. To find the distance above ground level at these points, you can use the equation -4.9t^2+t(Velocity of pellet gun-velocity of balloon)-12=0 and solve using the quadratic formula. Once you have the time values, plug them into the equations for the distance of the balloon and pellet to find the distances above ground level at the points where they meet at the same altitude.
PhysicFailure
A hot air balloon is ascending straight up at a constant speed of 8.80 m/s. When the balloon is 12.0 m above the ground, a gun fires a pellet straight up from ground level with an initial speed of 31.0 m/s. Along the paths of the balloon and the pellet, there are two places where each of them has the same altitude at the same time. How far above ground level are these places?

I got 0.628 and 3.90 for my answers and they're wrong! I don't know what I did but I can't find what I did wrong! help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
how do you get 0.628 and 3.90 .show us

oh i got the answer! I used this equation and used the quadratic formula:

-4.9t^2+t(Velocity of pellet gun-velocity of balloon)-12=0
then plugged those two answers into the following as is:

0.628 into distance of balloon=12+speed(0.628)= 17.5 m
and distance of pellet=initial speed(3.9)-((9.8(3.9^2))/2)= 46.4 m

Inorder to know where those meet in the same hight you have to make equall

like pellet = gun
and you have to solve as you did above

1. What is kinematics in one dimension?

Kinematics in one dimension is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects in a straight line, without considering the causes of the motion.

2. How is kinematics in one dimension different from kinematics in multiple dimensions?

Kinematics in one dimension only considers motion in a straight line, while kinematics in multiple dimensions takes into account motion in multiple directions.

3. What are the main equations used in kinematics in one dimension?

The main equations used in kinematics in one dimension are displacement = velocity x time, velocity = initial velocity + acceleration x time, and displacement = initial velocity x time + 1/2 x acceleration x time^2.

4. How is kinematics in one dimension applied in real life?

Kinematics in one dimension is applied in real life in various fields such as engineering, sports, and transportation. For example, engineers use kinematics to design and analyze the motion of machines and structures, while athletes use it to improve their performance in sports.

5. What are some common misconceptions about kinematics in one dimension?

Some common misconceptions about kinematics in one dimension include thinking that velocity and acceleration are the same thing, and that objects in motion always have a constant velocity. In reality, acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, and objects can have varying velocities and accelerations throughout their motion.