Help for KIA: Dealing with a Fiancé's Heart Attack

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heart
In summary: And it's probably a good idea to just keep an eye on him and make sure he's taking care of himself, getting rest, eating well, taking his meds, etc.In summary, a man who does not smoke or drink is due to be wed in 14 weeks but has had a massive heart attack. There are concerns about what could have caused it and what can be done to help. Suggestions include becoming an organ donor and providing support and sympathy. It is also mentioned that diet, exercise, and stress could be factors and there is a suggestion to take folic acid and other vitamins to potentially address a specific condition. It is advised to be a supportive friend or family member and to potentially distract from wedding planning stress. Ultimately, the
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
KIAs bf has had a massive heart attack, they are due to be wed in 14 weeks time, i mean the guy does not smoke or drink, what the hey is going on, what can i do to help, i do not know how to help

Physics news on Phys.org
become an organ donor, quick. Otherwise just be there and be sympathetic.

tribdog said:
become an organ donor, quick. Otherwise just be there and be sympathetic.

Wanker, this is serious, i do now what to do, please honest responses only.

What's his physical condition? Do you know if his family has a history of heart attacks? Does he suffer from stress?

wolram said:
Wanker, this is serious, i do now what to do, please honest responses only.

read the second half of my post. That's about all you can do.

Sounds like dedicated medical threatment is the only option. Isn't it? Other than that as suggested, support him and her with everything you can. Perhaps try to distract their attention with other things.

wolram said:
KIAs bf has had a massive heart attack, they are due to be wed in 14 weeks time, i mean the guy does not smoke or drink, what the hey is going on, what can i do to help, i do not know how to help
Sorry to hear that Wolram.

I don't there is much that one can do other than be supportive. I presume the man is relatively young and not being one who smokes or drinks, that then leaves diet, exercise and stress as variables, or some cardiac malfunction.

If the heart attack is due to blockage (cholesterol/plaque) then presumably he would have a by-pass operation. Then a change in diet, with more exercise and less stress may be in order.

If it is due to a problem of the sinoatrial node then he would get a pacemaker.

I think all that one can do at this point is be a supportive dad.

Still, there is one more thing. It's not well known that heart attacks at young age may be caused by a deficiency in the metabolism to deal with homocysteine / methionine

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3987/is_200311/ai_n9323486

It might be an idea to suggest folic acid additions with other vitamin B right now(harmless) and inquire if the docter considers a methionine blood test to exclude this condition.

Happened all to me. that's why I had to quit flying.

Do they know yet what caused the heart attack? Did he have plaque in his arteries? You can be genetically predisposed to factors that put you at high risk for heart attack even if you lead a healthy lifestyle.

Other than making sure he follows his doctor's advice and takes all medications as prescribed and encourage him to take any medical treatments suggested, that's about all you can do, other than be supportive.

Please tell Kia I am thinking of her and her fiance and hope that all goes well.

Sorry to hear about that, Woolie.
This might be off-base, since I don't know the personalities of the people involved, but it might be beneficial to distract attention away from the impending nuptials. From being involved with several dozen over the years, I can say for sure that they can be incredibly stressful to the participants, no matter how smooth things look from the outside. Make sure the guy knows that his health is more important than a schedule.

Nothing to worry about.
He know his wedding is coming soon so he would fix his heart himself :smile:

I'm so sorry to hear about this, Wollie! Send my best wishes for a speedy recovery to him, and a huge hug to Kia to help her get through this stress! I guess the main thing is just to be there and let them know you will help if they need help. The rest will likely depend on what the docs say...what caused it, how quickly he will heal, if there's anything else to be done for it, etc. If he has a long, slow recovery, they may want to change the wedding plans to something quieter, or postpone for another date, or maybe even move it up earlier...you never know how two people will respond to an experience like this. So, you may just have to help them out with sorting out those schedules and planning and contacting guests and friends and such to take the stress off them as a couple...surely the stress of planning or rescheduling a wedding isn't going to help him with his recovery.

1. How do I know if my fiancé is having a heart attack?

If your fiancé is experiencing chest pain or discomfort that lasts for more than a few minutes, shortness of breath, dizziness, or nausea, it could be a sign of a heart attack. It's important to seek medical help immediately if you suspect a heart attack.

2. What should I do if my fiancé has a heart attack?

Call 911 or your local emergency number right away. While waiting for help to arrive, have your fiancé sit or lie down and try to keep them calm. If they have been prescribed medication for chest pain, help them take it. If they become unconscious, perform CPR if you are trained and able to do so.

3. How can I prevent my fiancé from having another heart attack?

The best way to prevent another heart attack is to follow your doctor's recommendations for lifestyle changes and medication. These may include quitting smoking, exercising regularly, eating a heart-healthy diet, and taking prescribed medications as directed.

4. How can I support my fiancé during their recovery from a heart attack?

It's important to be patient and understanding during your fiancé's recovery. Encourage them to follow their doctor's recommendations and offer emotional support. Help with daily tasks and chores as needed, and make sure they attend follow-up appointments with their doctor.

5. Is it normal for my fiancé to experience emotional changes after a heart attack?

Yes, it is common for individuals to experience a range of emotions after a heart attack, including fear, anxiety, depression, and frustration. Encourage your fiancé to talk to their doctor about any emotional changes they are experiencing, and offer support and understanding during this difficult time.