So do you risk talking to her about fat?

• Thread starter jackmell
  • Start date
In summary, effective guidance for preventing your daughter from becoming overweight starts with having good fresh food in the house, and getting her involved in physical activity from an early age.
leroyjenkens said:
Now does that make any sense?
leroy, DanP is speaking in hyperbole. Without supplying facts, he's really just blowing smoke. If you feel the need to challenge his claims, have him quantify them, or at least factualize them (the phrase "...wont do anything for your leg strength. If you want strength..." has no teeth whatever as a claim).

Until then, this is little more than a 'is not / is too' argument.

Physics news on Phys.org
jackmell said:
I mean when she's what 6,7, 8, or 9 or even earlier. Or do you just say nothing about it and just let whatever happen, happen or even worst, handle it improperly throughout her adolescent life?

It's quite a bit more than just talking about it once of course. Gotta' guide her along a healthy path without upsetting her, like for example having very little junk food in the house, and not making a big deal about it. Delicate operation for sure and things could go horribly wrong. Still though, I'd risk explaining to her just what's involved with . . . being fat.

Would you?

i hope you do realize that a girl this age will soon enter puberty. maybe 11 or 12 in the past, but typically earlier now because of so many fat kids. so, you're going to warn her about getting fat, then in a couple of years she's going to start gaining some fat naturally so that her body can make that metabolic jump.