Cyclic Group U(14): Generating Elements with <3> to Show Cyclic Property

• Thread starter semidevil
  • Start date
Therefore, U(14)=<3>=<5>, and since U(14) is generated by a single element, it is cyclic.In summary, U(14) = <3> = <5> and is considered cyclic because it can be generated by a single element.
semidevil
to show that U(14) = <3> = < 5 >.

i.e, U(14) is cyclic.

ok, so U(14) = 1, 3, 5, 9, 11, 13

and <3> = 3^1 = 3, 3^2 = 9, 3 ^3 = 13, 3^4 = 11, 3^5 = 5, and 3^6 = 1.

So what am I doing to show that it is Cyclic? Am I showing that with <3>, I can generate the same elements over and over? is that what it means that it is cyclic?

Physics news on Phys.org
Surely your notes define cyclic?

A finite group is cyclic if there is an element whose order is the same as the order of the group.

Or a group is cyclic if there is a single element x such that {x^r | 1<=r<=ord(x)}=G. Ie all elements are a power of x for some x.

i.e. if the map taking n to r^n is surjective, then your group is cyclic with generator r.

semidevil said:
to show that U(14) = <3> = < 5 >.

i.e, U(14) is cyclic.

ok, so U(14) = 1, 3, 5, 9, 11, 13

and <3> = 3^1 = 3, 3^2 = 9, 3 ^3 = 13, 3^4 = 11, 3^5 = 5, and 3^6 = 1.

So what am I doing to show that it is Cyclic? Am I showing that with <3>, I can generate the same elements over and over? is that what it means that it is cyclic?
I'm sorry, but I can't see the problem. You've shown that U(14)=<3>. You can show similarly that <3>=<5> in U(14).

1. What is the purpose of my research?

The purpose of your research is to answer a specific question or problem within your field of study. It involves conducting experiments, gathering data, and analyzing results in order to contribute new knowledge or understanding to your field.

2. How does my research contribute to the scientific community?

Your research contributes to the scientific community by adding to the existing body of knowledge and potentially leading to new discoveries or advancements. It also allows other scientists to build upon your work and conduct further research in the same area.

3. What is the significance of my research?

The significance of your research lies in its potential impact on society, the environment, or the scientific community. It may have practical applications, provide new insights, or challenge existing theories.

4. How does my research fit into the bigger picture?

Your research is a small piece of a larger puzzle, contributing to the overall understanding of a topic or issue. It may be part of a larger project or connected to other research being conducted in your field.

5. What is the expected outcome of my research?

The expected outcome of your research is to answer your research question or solve your research problem. This could be in the form of new findings, evidence to support a hypothesis, or recommendations for future research.