1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So far am i correct

1. Sep 17, 2007 #1
    idk if i did this correctly so far so here goes.

The question states

A large rubber ball (8.80 kg) is fired straight down from the roof of a building from a spring loaded mechanism that stored 987 J of elastic potential energy. The building roof is 14.0 meters above ground. The rubber bounces straight back up (noiselessly--don't ask how) back to a height of 9.5 meters. Assuming no heat is lost to the air around the ball, calculate the increase in temperature of the ball (Specific Heat of rubber is 1250 J/kgK

What i did was:
    M= 8.80kg
    Spring Potential Energy= 987 J
    Building roof= 14.0 m
    The rubber bounces back up= 9.5 m
    Specific Heat of rubber is 1250 J/kgK

1) I found the Change in Height= 14.0-9.5= 4.5m
    2) Then i used the gravitational potential energy formula which is
    (mass)(g)(the change in height)
    4)Gravitational Potential Energy= (8.80)(10)(4.5)
    gravitational potential energy= 396 J

That is what i got for my gravitational potential energy then i used my spring potential energy which is 987 J and added that with 396 J and got 1383.
    I believe that the 1383 J is the heat and i should find the change in temp. am i right or am i wrong here
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

Looks good to me.
  4. Sep 18, 2007 #3

Homework Helper

That is what we were getting at earlier. Why didn't you add that to your previous thread for this problem [ https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=185227 ], rather than start another one?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?