Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So guess what.

1. May 21, 2005 #1
    On Friday:
    --I found out my grades for semester 2 at UMass Dartmouth: 4 A+'s (Four!) one A. These are the same grades I got in semester 1. Yes, I am a god. :tongue:
    --I found out I got accepted to UMass Amherst (Fall 05) to my major of choice, computer science
    --While here around Mount Holyoke for my sister's graduation events, I checked out UMass Amherst. It's huge and sprawling... but nice, with trees everywhere.

I think I'm probably going to go there.
    Last edited: May 21, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Congratulations, Bicycletree!
  4. May 21, 2005 #3

Staff: Mentor

Way to go BT!!!! :approve:
  5. May 21, 2005 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Congratulations BT!!!

Great job.. Of course now we will be expecting this sort of report every quarter. :tongue2:
  6. May 21, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good effort!
  7. May 21, 2005 #6

Science Advisor

BT, Nice job on the grades! I have been to UMass Amherst and it is indeed a very pretty campus, as well as one with some good research going on. Best of luck wherever you end up. :approve: :approve:
  8. May 22, 2005 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't been to Amherst, but know a number of folks currently or previously there, and they all have really good things to say about the town. You'll definitely enjoy riding your bike around there. :smile: Congrats on the grades...keep up the good work!
  9. May 22, 2005 #8
    YAY UMASS AMHERST!!! i'll be seeing you around eh?!? It is really nice here. The atmosphere is totally cool. Its like, half small town, half city like... its really great. you'll have to let me know where you'll be living and stuff.

Awesome grades btw! go you! my grades were ****ty... but meh... good for you though!
  10. May 22, 2005 #9
    Yes, it does look like good bike territory.

Yep, probably, Gale. I don't know if we'll bump into each other on a 25,000 student campus, but it could happen. I'm hoping to get a single room on campus, but if I can't do that I'll rent somewhere.
  11. May 22, 2005 #10
    Well, i'm sure if you hang out on the sciency side of campus, that increases the likelyhood of a happenchance meeting. And you'd be surprised how small the campus seems when you're on it for a while.

Singles are hard to get unless you have seniority in the residence hall. which you won't. Also, you have to be a junior to live off campus. I dunno if you are... i like having roommates though... to an extent... they can be annoying if you don't get along... but they give you a reason to get out of your room and do things. i'd say live on campus and deal with a roommate if you have to... even off campus you might have a roommate.

Anyways, good luck with stuff! as of now, i'll be living in northeast, so ya... i dunno... we'll see how things pan out eh?
  12. May 22, 2005 #11

I might be a junior, depending on how much credit they give me. I'd be a junior at UMD but UMA's guidelines for AP score credit might be stricter. Not being able to get a single room or rent one would be a reason not to go to UMA. I better check it out soon.
  13. May 23, 2005 #12
    I'm looking on the site... it doesn't say anything about required residency (that I see). Seems like a relief if it's true. Who told you that you had to be a junior to live off-campus?

By the way, I was looking at the map for UMA and I noticed a little strip in the northeast area labeled "motorcycle parking." That you?
  14. May 23, 2005 #13
    i'm positive about the residency thing. so don't get your hopes up. Though again, i really would encourage you not to base your entire decision on that. Roommates really aren't so bad. i believe to be considered a junoir you have to have 50ish credits. if you'd like, i can look it up for you.

And no, i don't ride my bike to school. It'd be entirely unpractical. plus, i'm always kinda weary leaving my bike out in public places.
  15. May 23, 2005 #14
    Well, I have heard from my Dad that there is a requirement for on-campus housing at UMD too but nobody ever bothered me about living in Fall River and commuting.

I really don't think I could stand a roommate. I need a place to retreat to and relax.

It's a junior at 60 credits. At UMD I would have exactly 60 credits starting this semester. So if UMA gives me as much credit for AP's as UMD did, then I'll be a junior, but UMD seemed a little free-handed on the AP credits to me. They gave me 8 courses of credit--26 credits--for 4 tests, even the American History test that I only got a 3 on. All I can do is hope, I guess. T'would be a tragedy if I had to live in a triple because I only had 57 credits... :eek:

I'm almost positive I can live off-campus: this study shows that they polled off-campus respondents who were sophomores and even a few first-years.
    Last edited: May 23, 2005
  16. May 23, 2005 #15
    Great Job BT! Don't be distracted by all the people throwing around freebees in the park. I had a friend that went to school there about 12 years ago. I spent a Halloween there. It can be a pretty wild place. At least it was then. Nice place for riding a bicycle too. Glad to hear that you are doing well.
  17. May 23, 2005 #16
  18. May 23, 2005 #17
    there's an off campus request form you can fill out if you have a good reason to live off campus. you can try for a single, but its not very likely. you can move in, then pay your roommate to move out, and then pay to keep it a single... other than that, you'd have to be really really lucky.

But really... everyone deals with roommates... its not so bad. How many credits do you have? maybe you'd only need one semester on campus, that wouldn't be too bad.
  19. May 23, 2005 #18
    Good work. But make sure this doesn't deterr you from working hard in the future.
  20. May 23, 2005 #19
    I said I'll have either 60 credits or just a course or two under 60.

Here is the requirement page: http://www.housing.umass.edu/hao/resreq.html

I'm thinking I have three options if I don't have 60. One, talk my way out of the requirement. After all, I lived off-campus at UMD with no problem, and with the grades and SAT scores I have they might make an exception for the residency requirement or get me a single so I don't go somewhere else. Two, take some courses at UMass Boston this summer (I can commute from home). It might be too late to register for those, but definitely worth a try if I don't have 60 credits. Three, be a part-time student at UMA with less than 12 credits for the first semester, then be full-time. Part-time students are exempt from the residency requirement. I don't like this option.

Actually, there is a fourth option, namely, stay at UMD another semester.

I'm not going to risk living with a roommate. I depend a lot on being able to lie down for three hours and meditate undisturbed, and to sleep whenever I'm tired without people walking around. It's not acceptable to make poor grades even for one semester because of a roommate.
    Last edited: May 23, 2005
  21. May 23, 2005 #20
    Getting a B won't kill you :surprised :eek: . Who knows, you might have some fun. You could always find other ways of relaxing, like talking to your roomy. You might think that meditating is the only way of relaxation but talking with a friend sure is a good way too :approve:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?