Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So how much weight did you gain?

1. Jan 2, 2009 #1
    Over the holiday season I only ate poorly and didn't due my regular exercise for about 8 days. I managed to gain roughly 7 pounds or about a pound per day. It is amazing how fast fat can accumulate on my body yet it can be so hard to get rid of. I even went down about 10 pounds on my usually weight lifting routines. I think it was the pumkin pie that did it. That stuff is the devil's food!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2009 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I dropped 5 pounds. I bought a turkey and ate almost nothing but meat for two weeks.

4. Jan 2, 2009 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm the same way, Evo. I eat far more protein in winter, and usually drop weight. I'm really not a sweet food lover...except chocolate! But it only takes a little bit to satisfy...

5. Jan 2, 2009 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I don't have a scale, but I suspect that I've lost about 4 kg. If so, that puts me about about 58. I've gotta start eating more.

6. Jan 2, 2009 #5
    I lost a few pounds. I don't really like turkey and that's just about all we had at my parents house. I probably ate 1000 calories a day of almost all protein and some fat for a week and a half.

EDIT: I like how trends on PF are so different from everywhere else. Everyone seems to have dropped in weight (except for OP).

7. Jan 2, 2009 #6
    Nothing. Its almost impossible for me to gain weight -.-

8. Jan 3, 2009 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm exactly the same weight, I don't know how I do it :confused:

9. Jan 3, 2009 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

So the poll results are in:

Me & Topher are normal.
    Evo, lisab, Danger, moose Denton and Monique are great big dinks.

10. Jan 3, 2009 #9
    It really sucks being normal Dave. I wish it was difficult for me to put on weight. If I eat more than 1500 calories in one day then I start packing on the pounds.

11. Jan 3, 2009 #10
    Yeah, I seem to have lost some weight over break and since Thanksgiving. Not the best for me when I could do with gaining 10 or 15 pounds.

12. Jan 3, 2009 #11

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have stayed at the same weight, probably due to the Judo classes I have started attending.

I actually have to lose around 10lbs before I go to my first Judo tournament next month. Any advice from you "easy losers?"

13. Jan 3, 2009 #12

turbo

Gold Member

Steamed broccoli, steamed spinach (or other greens), baked potato (no butter, but spice them up by baking garlic cloves with the potatoes, and squeezing garlic into the potatoes after they are split), baked chicken breast...

30+ minutes a day of aerobic activity to burn fat.

14. Jan 3, 2009 #13
    I have eaten so much over the holidays and have gained nothing!
    I probably should still exercise.

15. Jan 3, 2009 #14

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I will confess I ate like a pig relatively speaking. Boxes of chocolate covered cherries - 44 of the little delicacies consumed in one week - the only week a year I permit myself - plus banana bread, feasting meals and other assorted desserts, a couple of pounds of peanut M&Ms from bowls set out to munch on just in case - all downed over the holiday week.

I figured I was going to be a bloated blimp on the scale and didn't bother weighing the whole week. I was shocked, truly shocked, to see I had only gained 1 lb. I was sure that my naughtiness had brought me a plague of pounds that I would need to chase away through unpleasant restraint for weeks if not months.

But no. One day of my Dr. Pepper only diet and I was back at equilibrium.

16. Jan 3, 2009 #15
    I think saying 30+ minutes of aerobic activity is kind of vague. 30 minutes of jogging will give you nowhere near the results of 30 minutes of HIIT. However, backed potatoes are freaking great. :)

For snacks, eat raw carrots and celery.

17. Jan 3, 2009 #16

Evo

Chocolate covered cherries - food of the Gods. I especially love the European ones in real liquor.

I will do anything for a box of those. Since I broke up with my source of fine European candies, life almost isn't worth living. :frown:

18. Jan 3, 2009 #17

russ_watters

Yikes, I don't think I've ever gained weight that fast in my life - and I wrestled in high school!

I'm up about 5 lb since the summer - I haven't been working out as regularly as I like to. So odds are, that's more like 10lb more fat and 5 lb less muscle.

19. Jan 3, 2009 #18
    One point during last semester I lost around 5 pounds over the course of 3 days. I was eating less than 2000 calories a day and running far more than I normally do. I gained it all back relatively quickly.

20. Jan 3, 2009 #19
    I don't think I lost nor gained any weight over the holidays. Now that college starts back on Monday, I'll be losing way more weight again.(I learned, parking in the far back lot and walking, will give you plenty of exercise:biggrin:

21. Jan 3, 2009 #20

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

They are inexorably wedded to my Christmas experience. Santa always gave me a box, and I alternately either binged on Christmas day or was parsimonious and rationed them out to last as long as I could resist. Usually just a couple of days. Never to the New Year. I am certain I have not had a Christmas I can remember that didn't include the devilish delights.

I suppose I could lounge about and pop them like bon-bons as an occupation, if there ever was such a need. And I suppose that I could get them year round, but really I discipline myself to only at Christmas and only for the memories that each bite promotes. (When I bite into one I can see the bubble lights on the tree and I can hear the bells of Santa's sleigh echoed across the years.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?